New to FSX in 2022

So after MSFS 2020 got me back into flight simming, I thought, with all the great add-ons and scenery and airports out there for FSX, I may as well grab FSX from Steam.

There are a few surprising nice things out of the box:

1. The rumble pack inside my Xbox 360 type usb joystick controller rumbles creating a nice sensory experience bouncing on runways during takeoff, or when the wheels hit at landing.

2. There's a cool "X" effect when lights shine up at you at night, which looks awesome flying over toronto (CYYZ) with some freeware scenery and airport enhancements installed.

3. The included aircraft are super fun.

4. There's a LOT more exercises and fun little challenges to try in FSX than in MSFS or XPlane 11.

What have I missed that is a must-try and must-add-on for FSX, sticking with the free stuff only?

I plan to spend available money on paid add-ons only in XPlane 11 (and 12 when it happens) and MSFS, which I love also.

I have MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe, XPlane 11, DCS, and FSX now, and sometimes it's fun to switch it up.

Warren in British Columbia Canada

Just make sure that you install the Steam version of FSX in a directory outside of the program files. Like C:\Steam\FSX

Reason being is the the programs folder is emulated and protected by Windows. Especially true for 10 and 11. With a Sim and its modules and add-ons, things are bound to go south with the Sim if not installed outside of the programs folder.

For my Steam install, I direct all games to my 2 TB platter (an enterprise grade platter for spill over). So far, so good even though the speed is not near as fast as my SSD ( I like SATA cables).

I don't use Steam with a Sim. I find there may be too much going on behind the scenes and too much complexity so one little cog could fall off and ruin the whole thing. I don't even like to add a lot of modules to FSX for this very reason. Besides, I own the box set so I don't need the Steam version. Customization's or not. I've done everything that Steam does for improvements anyway.

USB Xbox controllers are a real pain it seems. I had one hell of a time trying to get my Madcatz to work in Windows for GTA V. There's a special way to install the driver. The Madcatz is a nice solid "piece of kit", let me tell you. No wonder we (the U.S.) Navy use them for Submarines now. Yes, it's true and not so funny when you think about the cost savings and the demographic now in the military. Here's a quick Google. https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16333376/us-navy-military-xbox-360-controller

Edited by CRJ_simpilot