MSFS Gateway flight sim links site

tones777

Hello everyone, my MSFS Gateway website that lists hundreds of MSFS and P3D-related links sorted into categories, (e.g. aircraft, flight planning, scenery and many others) has been serving the flight sim community for 20 years and is still regularly updated. I hope you find it useful. Feedback and suggested additions are always welcome.

Tony

https://www.msfsgateway.com/

msfsgateway2020ban.png

Edited by tones777

Not too bad. I may try bootstrap for a website one day. Site is clean and well laid out. Very responsive for a UK host seen as how I'm in the U.S.

Feedback and suggested additions are always welcome.

Sure. Just some nerdy stuff here in the realm of cybersecurity. If you ever make another website and use the same Google Analytics account, I wouldn't. There are reverse analytics websites and scripts for Linux, Unix that can find out what all of the web properties you own. This has ratted out so many websites when I do some basic OSINT (Open Source Intelligence) it's not even funny. Actually, it is. "Funny" little story. There's a pretty decent Chinese restaurant here in town I sometimes order take-out from. They also have dine in. It's a pretty nice place, really. Well, I was on their website and being the computer centric person I am did a reverse lookup of their Google Analytics ID. Come to find out they own several other restaurants all over the country with different names! LOL And the web code and style is all the same for each restaurant website, and the aforementioned Google Analytics ID. I thought that was pretty interesting. Which has me wondering what food service company they use that they contracted with? (Me thinks I should do some more research ezgif-com-gif-maker-16.gif HAHA)

At any rate. Having said this, check out Matomo instead. https://matomo.org/ For the free version it should work in a shared hosting account, I think. I'd have to look at it. Or go Linode and install a LAMP stack. I think that's just a one click thing. A great cPanel alternative is DirectAdmin. And just to let you know, cPanel keeps uping their price so to expect that to trickle down to the end user of shared hosting accounts.

I currently don't use any analytics. I did for a time use Cloudflare's. But I just don't require it, and I'm not in the mood to try and improve SEO (Search Engine Optimization).

The other suggestion I have is to not put all your eggs in one basket so to speak. You have your domain registered with your host. From a security stand point this might not be such a good idea. I use Namesilo myself and so far so good. They also make it easy to enable DNSSEC. It it was even easier since my DNS records are with Cloudflare. So I enabled DNSSEC in my Cloudflare dashboard and went to my domain provider (Namesilo) and copy/pasted the Cert and what have you to their input boxes. That's it! LOL There are risks though if DNSSEC isn't configured properly, but I haven't discovered that on my end so far.

Anyway, those are pretty much the two main suggestions I guess. But it's really not needed. I roll a completely different way since I know how to do it and am a bit of a tech/cybersecurity nerd and it's all part and parcel of the "nerd ethos". LOL

Oh! Be very careful if you use everyone's favorite FTP client Filezilla. By default, FileZilla transfers in ASCII (American Standard Code for Information Interchange) and not Binary. This mode WILL mess up certain files. Most notably images. So if you haven't already and ar using FileZilla, consider an automatic transfer mode if afforded to you in the client, or just chose binary. Doing this after the fact can have ill consequences as well. Personally I use WinSCP. Its default is automatic mode so files that need to be in binary or ASCII transfer mode are done so without corruption. Great client nad can navigate an AWS S3 bucket. Though, I found it to be slow. I use S3 Browser instead. Best damn App for S3, and it has command line options, yo! I can script that junk vio batch files, convert the batch file to an .EXE (executable) and create automatic backups via Windows Task Scheduler. CloudBerry Backup, eat your heart out. HAHA!

Edit-

Is the "tones" part of your username in reference to ACARS? I used to decode live ACARS and it was a tone-like audio. Here is an example for those that don't know.

HA! From the comments:

That was useful. I tried my ACARS iPhone App and it decoded quite a few of those bursts.

As the say, "there's an App for everything."

Edited by CRJ_simpilot