Just did a flight in a wheel ski plane at Burns Lake and set the outside temp to about minus 40, this resulted in open water and of course not a good ski landing. Anyone doing winter flying on lakes successfully? I want to go ice fishing!!

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

Just tried again, went to Cambridge Bay NU and also crashed into water in the ocean. used to live there and believe me it is all frozen at this time of the year. MSFS has the daylight hours Ok (minimal at this time) but no sea ice!!!

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Tried a wheel-ski plane took off from CYCB on the runway flew over the now frozen sea and landed to be told I just crashed into the water. time to go to Zendesk I guess. No other ski flyers??

Have submitted to Zendesk we'll see.

It’ll be interesting to see what they say (if anything)

I’m guessing for the moment you can only use the skies to land on snowy areas (snow covered land, rather than iced water)

I wouldn’t be surprised if you could safely land the Icon on ice with the wheels up, as if you were landing on water.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yea Steve, the Icon might work, but not the same huh! I flew about 200 hours on a Citabria 7GCBC in northern BC and used to have fun in FSX on skis and want the same here, not an unreasonable request I would have thought. We shall see, a Zendesk request has been sent.

• 2 weeks later...
Finally yesterday flew up in the Arctic a couple of flights with real time weather and the lakes and sea were frozen, landed even a King Air on the sea ice no problem. Not sure what the issue might be with MSFS and ice, but hopefully now can do some real ski flying.

The ice situation is very weird, last night took off in a 172 on wheel skis from Cambridge Bay and landed on what looked like solid sea ice only to have it recorded as a crash and "went into water". Please Microsoft and Asobo has global warming seriously affected MSFS2020??? I have submitted a ticket to Asobo but no response. Are there no more ski flyers out there that actually like landing on frozen lakes or the sea? In real flying it was one of my greatest pleasure flying on skis or even wheels on frozen lakes.

I appreciate that there are obviously not too many ski pilots out there but anyway --It is so sad that Flightsim does not let you land on frozen sea with skis but I found a way to fool it. Fly with Amphib floats and land on the ice not the runway and then you can even put the wheels back down for take off if it does not want to move. If you land on the "ice" with skis it triggers a "landed in water" crash, but you can fool it. I just happen to like landing off airport. But the Rothera Base is a fun little add-on with an excellent manual. A friend of mine was based in the area a few years back and flew the Twin Otter for Bradley Air. (Canadian)

MSFS doesn't have seasons yet, but work has started on them and they are due sometime this year according to the latest development update from Microsoft: https://www.flightsimulator.com/january-20th-2022-development-update/

Seasons is No.24 in the Top Wishes list.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thx Tim, be looking forward to real ski flying.

MSFS doesn't have seasons yet, but work has started on them and they are due sometime this year according to the latest development update from Microsoft: https://www.flightsimulator.com/january-20th-2022-development-update/

Seasons is No.24 in the Top Wishes list.