Information on First Flt Sim

NavyDoc

I am attempting to start my Simulator as a 83 year old newbie. I have always been interested in flying, but for various reasons, I never did. This appears to be the nearest thing without actual flight. I will accept any suggestions regarding software and hardware. At this point, I don't plan to spend over $1K on equipment excluding the curved monitor and flight app. I would like the yoke, foot pedals and the basic to operate. I am looking at the Logitech Saitek Basic Flight Sim bundle. Any help appreciated.

I am attempting to start my Simulator as a 83 year old newbie. I have always been interested in flying, but for various reasons, I never did. This appears to be the nearest thing without actual flight. I will accept any suggestions regarding software and hardware. At this point, I don't plan to spend over $1K on equipment excluding the curved monitor and flight app. I would like the yoke, foot pedals and the basic to operate. I am looking at the Logitech Saitek Basic Flight Sim bundle. Any help appreciated.

As you will be doing MUCH reinstalling/updating, how good is your internet? You will need a good, constant connection if it's any of the modern sims you are considering, particularly if you are looking at MSFS. Never mind the other hardware.

There are many gurus in this forum who are very advanced (in tech, but also in age like us! But I'm only a youngster at 66!) who will give you good advice. Don't rule out using older software, which runs on older and newer hardware without too much hassle (and has the advantage that what was top line stuff needing top line hardware 10 years ago, runs on just about any standard equipment circa 2018 - 2022, albeit with perhaps some Windows compatibility issues, e.g .Windows 10 etc.).

There is a very large user base of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (FS2004, FS04, FS9 being version 9) solid stalwarts on this website. Unless you have good IT skills and much patience, my reading of the many posts seems to indicate that the latest product, Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) can be a real headache (however is stunning visually it seems). Much good software is available second-hand via e-Bay etc, for just a few $. Like most things, much choice, which in itself can be a headache to navigate. One possible option, if you can find it, is to buy a complete setup - software installed on hardware, possibly including peripherals of yoke, pedals etc. from someone who is upgrading, so you can see it working and nothing for you to configure. Would be cheaper, and no setup needed, just get it home, plug in and fly!

Edited by MAD1

I am 81 yrs old simmer. I have FS9 and FSX. For 15 yrs now. Learn something new every day. You SHOULD seriously consider getting X-Plane (learning curve is simular to FS9 or FSX.

You will need a desktop (not a laptop) with something like i5 or i7 CPU and a good GPU. You can get by with Win 7 64 bit (for now). For MSFS you MUST have Win 10 or 11 (64 bit suggested).

Once installed you will need to learn the TERMINOLOGY used for flight simming so you can do proper set up of your hardware. For FSX you also need to 'tweak' the FSX config file for best results. You are looking for 30 fps (frame rate per second) for smooth fly. You CAN'T fly with 12 fps (due to lag and stutters).

You will start by learning how to fly the C-172 and then how to land it. Later you will learn to fly the jets (military and passenger) and last (if you fly EVERYDAY) a year later the B-747, etc. You can GRADUALLY learn to fly with ATC but can fly without for now. And...you WILL crash on occassion. We all did. There are lots of 'how to' videos on YouTube so search by topic. You learn by doing. So FIRE IT UP! and GO!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

NavyDoc, I concur with everything Napamule says. 'Don't delay, fly today!' And it's easy once you get a basic setup, the tutorials build into the software will teach you everything, starting from your first instructional flight in your Cessna. Then learning how to putter about your local 'home airport'. Choose a small airport as your home base, with only general aviation (GA) small aircraft at it and coming and going to it [you can turn off that artificial intelligence generated traffic, suggest you do as a newbie, my local YLIS doesn't have any, being a real country strip] and learn what a 'circuit' is and how to fly it properly. Heaps of fun, and yes, you learn something new each time you fire up the sim. You can mix some serious training (in your Cessna) with just pure, plain fun trying your hand at the big aircraft. (As I'm sure you've seen already, look at the companion thread 'Spoilt-for-choice'.) Irrespective of your activity, this website FlightSim.com is a great international fraternity to be in, don't be shy, ask heaps of questions, put in your 5 cents worth etc. Enjoy! Edited by MAD1

After much research, I have almost decided toe go with X-Plane 11. the only caveat I have is when I attempted to download the demo, it would never complete the download. After looking at various sources of MSFS, the rating were poor, therefore I decided upon X-Plane 11, using Win 11. I plan to purchase the Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke with Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant Bundle and a 34 inch curved Dell monitor. I am using a Alienware R8 PC. My question; do I need more than a single DVD port to run the software? I have read a plethora on flight sims, but still have many questions. Thanks for the info.

Flight Simulator is an option if you want to have an easy installation and to use the majority of hardware.

If you like quality and realism X-plane is the best option.

If you have a nephew, ask help and information about hardaware and software update

Happy flights

My latest video in english language at The Flight Level - Wright Brothers Remastered Rare Photos - Kill Devil Hills Historical Flight in Flight Simulator - 4K

After much research, I have almost decided toe go with X-Plane 11. the only caveat I have is when I attempted to download the demo, it would never complete the download. After looking at various sources of MSFS, the rating were poor, therefore I decided upon X-Plane 11, using Win 11. I plan to purchase the Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke with Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant Bundle and a 34 inch curved Dell monitor. I am using a Alienware R8 PC. My question; do I need more than a single DVD port to run the software? I have read a plethora on flight sims, but still have many questions. Thanks for the info.

X Plane 12 is a few weeks away:

https://www.x-plane.com/2021/09/x-plane-keynote-today-see-the-next-generation/

Check that your X Plane 11 ALSO includes FREE updates, as XP12 is usually a separate download.

Before flight simulators I was a sailor. I began with a max budget and my first boat was a 15’ day sailor. I had a great time sailing it but there was a problem: I couldn’t invite women on board for more than two hours because of nature’s calls. So, I violated my max budget oath and bought a 25’ sailboat with a head and small galley. It fixed the problem but created another. The little outboard motor that sat in an engine well at the stern wasn’t powerful enough in a wind to move the boat properly and the gas tanks got in the way in the cockpit. So yet again I violated my new max and bought a 27’ sailboat with a diesel inboard engine. Each time I sold it was at a loss. I would have been so much better off had I just bought the 27’ boat first. Then it was single-handing. I’m sorry to say I repeated my max budget promises when I started simming: small computer, cheap controls, and ignorance; after all, I just wanted to fly. With each upgrade I lost old money and spent new money. Only now am I happy (except I’m still working on the ignorance part). My point is look at the sim rigs of those on the forums who are happy and knowledgeable and spend the money at the outset. It will hurt only a little while and you’ll be happier in the end.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

Well Jim Hall, very interesting history. I too have a 16ft Hartley sailboat in my back yard. I look wistfully at it and sigh "Gotta get that out on the water soon" but it doesn't move, is just an expensive garden ornament, but wait, in the next two months I definitely will, I must ... . Funny, and it IS a guy thing, that women tend to be the cause of all our woes!