A smart person required....

stinnes

Hi all

I live in Ireland.

I wish to place the DERAG waypoint on my FS9.DERAG is normally used for runway 24 operations.

Yesterday I downloaded the Microsoft BGL compiler and tried four machines,two laptops,two desktops and virtual XP.

Also,I used the XML reporting software which showed every line to be in error!

The format I used was gotten from Mutleys Hangar and I checked the format again with the compilers documents.A waste of an evening.

lat="52.862944"

lon="-8.580389"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="EI"

waypointIdent="DERAG">

It appears though that I am not the only person experiencing a problem with this.

Anybody out there with ideas?

thanks

Tim Quinn

8 decimal places or 6,same result.

Don't know much about waypoints, but I do know a bit about xml … you're missing the 'header' and 'tail' viz:-

xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

lat="52.862944"

lon="-8.580389"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="EI"

waypointIdent="DERAG">

This compiles perfectly, though what it does I've no real idea ;)

Hi Chris

Thanks for making the effort,it is appreciated.

In the compiler folder are two sample sceneries.My PC does actually generate the BGL for those.

Also,there is an oil rig scenery in the document and that too I can convert to a BGL file but the waypoint is not working for me.I've gone as far as I can with syntax errors and am at a full stop!

Could you send the the DERAG.bgl please?

Tim

Hi Chris

Thanks for making the effort,it is appreciated.

In the compiler folder are two sample sceneries.My PC does actually generate the BGL for those.

Also,there is an oil rig scenery in the document and that too I can convert to a BGL file but the waypoint is not working for me.I've gone as far as I can with syntax errors and am at a full stop!

Could you send the the DERAG.bgl please?

Tim

Not sure how I'd send a file without an e-mail address so I've put a copy of the bgl here https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkzZuPOaEswYghFCWSPFrLoNFHF1?e=xeWMuY

For BGLCOMP to work, there needs to be two files in the folder, bglcomp.exe and bglcomp.xsd plus the xml source code, as I included previously.

Other requirements are detailed in the SDK :-

"Compiler usage

Since the BGL compiler is based on XML, you must make sure that MSXML 4 is installed on any machines that will run BGLComp. You can find MSXML4 on the Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com.

The BGL compiler is invoked with the command:

bglcomp.exe .

To make batch file processing easier, the compiler will accept wildcards to process multiple files per invocation. Invoking the compiler without any parameters will print version and usage information for the compiler. Along with the compiler is the file:

BGLComp.xsd

This file must be located in the same directory as BGLComp.exe for the compiler to function properly."

Edited by chris_eve
added link

Hi Chris

I did it last evening and there was a lot of sleep lost too.Issue was simply down to syntax,am not qualified in this are but I suspect that one needs to be a little bit more careful when editing the file with Notepad.

many thanks again

Tim

Hi Chris

I did it last evening and there was a lot of sleep lost too.Issue was simply down to syntax,am not qualified in this are but I suspect that one needs to be a little bit more careful when editing the file with Notepad.

many thanks again

Tim

Glad you got it working. Syntax is indeed critical for BGLCOMP

Can't think why you were having so much trouble. That code snippet I posted works perfectly if copied and pasted into Notepad!

Never mind, it works now ;)

Struggling with SDK BGL Comp myself.

I've been trying to get this to compile for ages to no avail:

xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="bglcomp.xsd">

lat="53.091240"

lon="-2.225852"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="HOMES">

lat="53.114790"

lon="-2.212972"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="MOWCO">

lat="53.14333"

lon="-2.19917"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="LISTO">

Any chance you could have a look and tell me where it's wrong please chris?

Struggling with SDK BGL Comp myself.

I've been trying to get this to compile for ages to no avail:

Any chance you could have a look and tell me where it's wrong please chris?

The data itself is good, your problem(s) seem to be in your headers.

Delete everything above your line and paste in the following :-

Copy and paste EXACTLY into a text file in Notepad or similar. The compiler is VERY syntax sensitive!

I'm assuming you're not trying to compile these waypoints as all one file. Whilst the concept is perfectly valid and sensible, you've included xml headers and trailers for each waypoint, whereas there should only be one pair per file.

If you still get problems, please include the error messages you get.

This code fragment is nothing "special", it's just EXACTLY as provided in the BGLComp SDK from Microsoft and supplied on the FS9 CDs.

I'm not an xml "guru" or anything like it, but over the years I have come to grips with the basics for the purposes of programming FS9 features.

And you could compile all three waypoints into a single file, if you eliminated the lines in the middle of the file:

lat="53.091240"

lon="-2.225852"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="HOMES">

lat="53.114790"

lon="-2.212972"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="MOWCO">

lat="53.14333"

lon="-2.19917"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="LISTO">

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

And you could compile all three waypoints into a single file, if you eliminated the lines in the middle of the file:

lat="53.091240"

lon="-2.225852"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="HOMES">

lat="53.114790"

lon="-2.212972"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="MOWCO">

lat="53.14333"

lon="-2.19917"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="LISTO">

Exactly like that … that compiles perfectly :)

Whether it gives the features required will depend on the validity and/or accuracy of the data ;)

Edited by chris_eve

Ok gents,I've changed and added the lines to the top and then done as Tom suggests^^

and mad all waypoints into a single file in Notepad.

then opened XML Notepad,pointed it to the Notepad txt file to create an XML file,this is what I get:

"Your XML document contains no xml-stylesheet processing instruction. To provide an XSLT transform, add the following to the top of your file and edit the href attribute accordingly:

You can also enter the XSLT file name using the above text box, but this will not persist with your XML document.

The following HTML is provided by the default XSLT transform which is designed to pretty print your XML document. "

Hi Chris

This is a new lease of life for me!

With various Government issued documents I've run up waypoints for Ted Stephens area,San Francisco and just finished a few waypoints for an accurate plan up into Lukla,Nepal.It's very intense work though with my two PC screens here but am enjoying every minute of it.Thanks for the encouragement.

Tim

Ok gents,I've changed and added the lines to the top and then done as Tom suggests and mad all waypoints into a single file in Notepad.

As Tom points out, for what ever reason you don't seem to be using BGLCOMP, the tool for the job from the FS2004 SDK.

For this purpose you don't need "XML Notepad" or any other third party utility, just the standard Notepad that comes with every version of Windows, then compile using BGLCOMP given the conditions laid out in the SDK and mentioned in my previous reply to stinnes.

Edited by chris_eve

Hi Chris

This is a new lease of life for me!

With various Government issued documents I've run up waypoints for Ted Stephens area,San Francisco and just finished a few waypoints for an accurate plan up into Lukla,Nepal.It's very intense work though with my two PC screens here but am enjoying every minute of it.Thanks for the encouragement.

Tim

Excellent … pleased you're achieving what you want. I'm very much a vfr simmer, following roads, rivers and railway lines and looking out for power stations and the like to follow my course, so I've never "met" an actual waypoint in FS ;)

I've converted it to an xml file,the drag and dropped it onto the bglcomp application,but all it does

is flashes very quickly and doesn't seem to produce a BGL file.

Don't "drop" it, open a Command Prompt and run bglcomp from there, as per the instructions in the SDK, then you'll get an error message telling you, albeit probably cryptically, what any problems are.

One thing to note, when "dropping" files onto command line executables, the filename of the file being "dropped" mustn't contain any spaces or other illegal characters.

From the Command Line, bglcomp filename.xml is good but bglcomp file name.xml won't work, you need to surround the file name in quotes viz :- bglcomp "file name.xml"

Hi everybody

I've learned a lot in the past few weeks and would like to share a couple of files,I never did think that I would be in such a position!

I took down published charts from Bhutan and have made a bgl with all the waypoints for Paro.After 30+ years simming I found landing at Paro in a Drukair iFDG A319 with Sky High sound and Project Airbus panel with the all important AoA indicator to be the pinnacle [until the next challenge I suppose..]

I also have run up bgls for Ireland,Nepal and Ted Stephens area.I don't know how to put them up here on the site as it's my only time with anything to offer the community.

Tim

lat="53.091240"

lon="-2.225852"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="HOMES">

lat="53.114790"

lon="-2.212972"

waypointType="NAMED"

magvar="2.8"

waypointRegion="UK"

waypointIdent="MOWCO">