Honeycomb Bravo in FS2004

baronfritz

Hello,after being on various waiting lists for nearly a year,I finally was able to purchase the impressive Honeycomb Bravo Throttle.However after trying unsuccessfully for several months, I have been unable to get the unit to function properly!I have tried setting it up using FSUIPC with no luck,though I may be doing something wrong not being a computer geek.I have searched many forums as well Google searches and turned up.... crickets! Has anyone managed to get this thing to work properly in FS2004? If so how was this accomplished? I am trying to use it with twin engine piston prop.Does anyone know of a decent tutorial on the subject,preferably at the noob level?I am a simmer with over 4000 hours though the solution to this issue eludes me.Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

( Actually my wife has been getting on my case with "Honey,don't you think its time to ask someone who knows?" You know how that goes...)

It could very well be that the Throttle is simply not recognized in FS2004 because of its age. Their Website doesn't even list FSX as being compatible with the Throttle, let alone FS2004. I don't think it's an issue with the OS.

I use a Logitech Dual Action gamepad for FlightSim because of space !imitations, and I found that the gamepad is unusable in Combat Flight Simulator (CFS); it doesn't even show up in the Joystick List.

However, it shows up in CFS 2 and 3, so I figured it was just a limitation in the CFS Software.

I know this doesn't help, but there isn't a lot of scuttlebutt out there about the Throttle being used in FS2004, as you have found.

Good Luck!

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I'm no expert on this but is it possible to emulate the throttle, what I mean is download some other drivers for another throttle and make FS think this is what the throttle is.

Not sure if it would work but I once did this years ago with a dot matrix printer, I made the PC think it was a different printer and it worked.

Col

Thank you from your quick replies! However as you expected,they were not of much help.I am able to shed a little more light on the situation;its long and somewhat convoluted tale but I hope you will bear with me.

This is what I have managed to discover so far... The sim does recognize the Bravo throttle and does allow me to assign the throttle,prop and mixture axis normally,however the behavior was off the wall.This led me to think that I should install the Honeycomb Configurator into FS2004 instead of FSX.Of course that didn't work,next I noticed that the critical configurator files are using .json,something which FS9 doesn't seem to use. I thought of converting the .json files to .exe or .dll but I was unable to locate a converter; next I tried to simply cut and paste the entire Honeycomb file as installed in FSX into the FS2004 main folder and that didn't work either.I thought about puting all the Honeycomb Configurator files loose into the FS2004 folder but I was concerned that would really mess up the FS2004,something I really didn't need.

At that point it dawned on me that since the Bravo was recognized by the sim and did allow axis assignment,the problem must be one of calibration.This led me to FSUIPC. I have been using the paid version 3.999 for some time,primarily for fine tuning the weather and so on,however nothing as complex as control modifications.So ,with FSUIPC for Advanced users predominately displayed on one monitor and FSUIPC Options and Settings on the other ,I launched into hours and hours of frustration (apologies to Mr. Dowson ) It seems to"almost" click but I just can't get it! This is where a tutorial for noobs would come in mighty handy.Another thing I discovered during the fight with FSUIPC is that the prop and mixture axis go from min to max during the first half of their travel then star over again in the second half of the stroke then come to the detent.This behavior is obviously not acceptable.

The gear selector flaps and trim seem to work ok though.I have not tried the auto pilot or the warning lights yet as I use the Logitec Radio,Multi and Switch panels as well as the units in the aircrft panel itself so I could live without those features of the Bravo , but I really need the throttle, pop and mixture setting to work as they should.I feel I am THIS CLOSE to success,however I'm missing some minor detail somewhere along the line! I am getting ready to pull out whats left of my hair,If anyone has any ideas....

The sim does recognize the Bravo throttle and does allow me to assign the throttle,prop and mixture axis normally,however the behavior was off the wall.

Quoting from your message above. After assigning the throttle, prop and mixtures controls did you then go into the "sensitivities" tab?? You need to make sure that the sensitivity is all the way to the right and that the dead zone is all the way to the left. FS9 will not automatically set the sensitivity correctly, so it needs to be adjusted manually.

If you are using a multi engine plane then assign two throttles, two props and two two mixture axis on the quadrant. Adjust the sensitivity and dead zone for each. Then check your work by bringing up the throttle quadrant on a twin engine plane like the Beech baron. Cycle through each in turn and check that you get full travel on all six axis. FS9 can be a bit fickle with Throttle quadrants and you may need to repeat a couple of times before it sticks.

Hope this helps, Mark.

Have you checked the unit out in the Windows calibration? I am on my third Bravo (the first two had issues, and Honeycomb was very supportive and replaced both promptly) and even this third one occasionally hiccups in a manner similar to what you are describing with the erratic behavior of the axes.

Try to check, in the Windows joystick calibration app, how the unit is being recognized and if it is displaying any unusual behaviors in the axes.

Thanks for the tips.

While I have been running my sim pretty much since day one with the sensitivity at max and the dead zone at min,I did try wiping the

FSUIPC settings and calibrating using the windows cal tool.At first I got erratic readings,but after a half a dozen tries they stabilized, though not at settings required for correct operation.

My next plan of attack is to erase all traces of the Bravo unit from the controls assignment section in FS2004 and uninstall the Honeycomb Configurator. Even though it is not installed in FS9 and apparently just sits there, its in FSX which I do not use, just in case the Bravo unit is "looking for it".The next step is to try once again with Fsuipc. I'm still thinking that its a matter of calibration or maybe some schmutz in the mechanism?I am not one to give up easily but I think I see a few traces of desperation looming on the horizon....keep your fingers crossed!

I did try wiping the FSUIPC settings and calibrating using the windows cal tool.At first I got erratic readings,but after a half a dozen tries they stabilized, though not at settings required for correct operation.

If the device is reporting erratic or incorrect data to Windows, that's your problem right there. There's little to nothing you can do at a software level to fix misbehaving hardware.

Cheers!

Luke

Avallillo and luke you council wisely.I've just spent more fruitless hours trying to iron out the problems with the Bravo unit,I thought I might "get it any minute now" so many times I've lost track. ( Its a guy thing. ) Reluctantly, I must admit that all I have accomplished so far, was to run low on coffee and out of patience.I will attempt to call Honeycomb Aeronautical directly as well as emailing them.I thought I might try to contact them through Aerosfoft/Honeycomb but apparently people have died waiting for response going that route.Feel free to PM me if there is anything you think I should know when I contact them.As there are no doubt, many people in the flight sim community who may be having similar problems, I'll try to post my results if and when they become known.

BTW...I neglected to add this to my previous post. All the levers move in jerky, jumpy fashion, however, one really bizarre thing I've discovered - in the VC, when I move the throttle for engine #2, the mixture handle for engine#1 moves,on its own,the opposite way!

• 2 weeks later...
I remember reading somewhere (maybe the FSUIPC3 manual) that it was limited to only 6 axis. I can see 6-8 axes there (depending on how the gear lever and trim wheel count). I guess you'll have to leave some of the axis assignments directly to FS9, and keep only 6 for FSUIPC. Please check in the manual, I'm not 100% sure of this.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

So I have used both the alpha and Bravo in FS2004, and with a bit of finesse you can get them working fine for the most part. you can get all 6 axis working by assigning the 4 throttles, flaps axis and speedbrake axis. set the reverser switches to the reverse thrust and so on and so forth. the limitations are that you won't have working LED's, the switch panel won't work, and some of the autopilot won't work. The good news is that the major functionality required can be built through FSUIPC. the trim wheel is not an axis but rather assigned by two buttons, and the gear lever is button controlled as well. the Yoke is a bit easier to assign and you shouldn't have any issues. I used the bravo successfully with the PMDG747/MD-11, Ifly 737/747, CS757, Feelthere ERJ 135 through 195, and LVLD767. while not as polished as say P3D or X-Plane, it can certainly be set up and flyable. just takes a bit of finesse.

Hi, thanks for the above. I had been thinking about the Honeycomb controllers for a while and pleased that they can be made to work in FS9. I am currently using saitek controllers which work fine in FS9/FSX and the new FS2020. But I will want to move to more modern kit at some point.

But I will want to move to more modern kit at some point.

If you're not in any hurry, it might be worth considering this:

The corresponding yoke has received negligible criticism; some stiffness in the shaft seems to be all that's reported. If the proposed quadrant is built to the same standard and from similar materials then it may be worth waiting for.

On the other hand, it could be a long wait. There have been some problems in obtaining parts for the yokes so a lot of yoke pre-orders were delayed.

D

I am on my third Bravo (the first two had issues, and Honeycomb was very supportive and replaced both promptly) and even this third one occasionally hiccups in a manner similar to what you are describing with the erratic behavior of the axes.

Your reporting is enough to put me off Honeycomb. I didn't like their Soviet way of selling in the first place i.e. place your order and at some time in the future we will aim to fulfill it. I get the impression that the Saitek low standards have been carried forward. Harsh? Maybe but I have been bitten too many times over the years.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delayed response; until recently I was a Canadian cross border truck driver and the issue of the un cooperative Honeycomb Bravo for some reason, had found itself relocated somewhat lower on the priority list.One of the issues I am unable to satisfactorily deal with is the effective stroke of the throttle,prop and mixture axis.I am using FSUIPC to recognize the axis,which it does accomplish,however on the calibration page, (any axis), I am getting only only half a stroke.Specifically, the read outs,in my case, begin at -16256 with the lever down against the detent.Moving the lever upwards, the reading drops down to zero at the halfway point then increase to +16256 at the top of the stoke.(with corresponding bizarre behavior in the 3d view) I was hoping that you (or anyone?) might divulge the workaround to this issue.Then of course,one must continue with the calibration procedure however,I think the axis behavior should be tackled first.

I did set Bravo up in FSX and it seemed to function properly over there,however as I do not care for FSX, I left it at that and returned to the battle of using the Bravo in FS 2004.Just to complicate things,my old clunky CH Throttle (may it R.I.P.), with its neanderthal innards did not have a problem working passably well in both FS9 as well as FSX. However the Honeycomb Bravo,that state of the art technological Wunderkindt seems unable to do so..... Seriously?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been using the Bravo in FS2004 since last June and am very happy with it. Although there were a number of teething issues the only problem I could not resolve was that of Throttle 2 not responding but I got around that by making it a slave to either T1 (for piston twins) or T3 (commercial aircraft). In other words the handle can be moved in conjunction with the other throttle lever(s) but all engines are actually controlled by a single lever. I must admit that there were some curious initial responses but all were eventually sorted out within either the FS9 assignment section or FSUIPC. It is worth persevering with if you can because it's an excellent piece of equipment once up and running.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay between posting, I am still working 12- 14 hours a day five days a week which doesn't leave much time for simming.I have tried everything I could think of however I was simply unable to get consistent results with my Bravo unit. Reluctantly, it finally dawned on me that I likely flogging a dead horse.I contacted the Honeycomb folks and made arrangements to send the unit to them (Ontario Canada to California USA!),and duly shipped it to them, they received it about a week ago, at this point I am awaiting a response from them.

Thanks for the tip on the Fulcrum One, looks interesting.I wonder if they work properly out of the box? I could convert my Bravo unit to a $300 paperweight hmmm....

Thanks for the tip on the Fulcrum One, looks interesting.I wonder if they work properly out of the box? I could convert my Bravo unit to a $300 paperweight hmmm....

The Kickstarter campaign to fund the throttle is underway:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fulcrumsim/fulcrum-one-throttle

The yoke worked perfectly out of the box. It's very robust, as you'd expect from a mostly-metal construction. It doesn't need any drivers so setting up is just plug it in and go. The thing that hooked me is that it uses GMR sensors, not pots or sliders so dirt, wear, notching and calibration are not an issue.

Other than the weight... the only problem I've encountered is the stiffness caused by using a PTFE sleeve where the shaft passes through the body. I'd have been happier with ball bearings in a ring cage but I'm told such a bearing that could also be mounted onto the body would have been very expensive. A little dry teflon lube cures it anyway... I've also opened it up (who wouldn't?) and added a bit of extra grease in a couple of places, particularly at the return-spring anchors.

D