free flight IFR

kwash55

I'm curious how many of you have run in to this situation flying free flight IFR :

I filed an IFR free flight plan from KCLT NC to KPWM ME in the Beech King Air 300. All went well until I got my last vector from destination KPWM approach setting me up for RWY 29. Prior to getting that I had saved the flight about 40 miles out. I suspected there would be a hitch because it has happened more than once. Basically, the vector set me up for a left downwind 29. I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for the final vector to turn, pick up the localizer and contact tower. It never came! I would have flown all the way to Europe if I hadn't finally canceled IFR! I then contacted the PWM tower with my position and was given permission to land straight in to RWY 29. On the way in I spotted another aircraft lower in front and on a final to 29. I knew I was overtaking him and would inevitably be given a GO AROUND. I did a 360 giving him time to land and clear the RWY as the tower had him contact ground. I came out perfectly aligned for my final with no further comm to me from tower. Then I spotted another plane just below and ahead of me and way to close again as the tower gave him permission to land. At this point I gave up knowing I would be caught in this go around loop situation again lost sight of the other plane as I passed over him and simply landed with the tower telling me " N150ew I did not give you permission to land" After landing I was told to contact ground. All was normal after that. As I said, this has happened to me on more than one occasion. Obviously always at the very end of an otherwise uneventful long flight :(

Kent

I have also found the simulation of ATC to occasionally forgetful and from time erroneous when dealing with AI traffic. When the seem to have forgotten me, I will initiate a contact, usually asking for an alternative approach. My most frequent problem once on final is that ATC will vector a faster aircraft to follow me in, and that aircraft will fly through me before getting instructions to go around. Sometimes, also, I encounter deadlocks with AI ground traffic, being permanently in “hold position” with the conflicting traffic also holding.

These problems ate pretty much the same as they were in FS9, so I suspect not a lot of work was done on ATC between versions. Sometimes you just have to ignore an instruction

When did you check the prevailing conditions, including wind speed and direction, on approach? sounds like you rushed everything from the token `40 miles out`. No mention of a weather check?

Checking wind speed and direction is a MUST before every landing.