First time with VR but not in MSFS

Skywatcher12

I think anyone who has read any forums know the VR crowd are very loud.

Today I got to try VR for the very first time but not using MSFS.

My general opinion of it? It's as I expected before I tried it.

It's a bit of a novelty, a bit of fun, something different but geez, I won't be rushing out to buy it for myself.

Would MSFS in VR somehow be so much different to what I saw today? No, same thing, different game.

Anyhow, just mentioning it as with all the pro VR threads that are floating around, it does make you wonder if you are missing something for gaming. I found today I really feel I am not. I can also see how motion sickness can quickly become a big deal for some people.

It's good for a little novelty time but for everyday use, I'll stick with the plain old computer monitor.

Just giving a neutral opinion on my experience. I'm not pro or anti VR.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Mark Daniels

Thank You.

Someday I will buy into VR. Bu not until video card prices plummet. I don't think my 1080ti is up to the job, although it handles a 4K screen just fine.

Edited by sfojimbo
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Exactly the opposite opinion.

In other games, even racing sims, I can go either way. (BTW racing will probably bring in motion sickness in VR way before flying, has been my experience.) With a good computer / video card / headset combo for good smooth resolution I will not fly on monitors again. Just the simple act of flying a pattern in GA is so much closer to real life in VR, that the two aren't even comparable. There are plenty of utilities available for charts, taking notes, viewing maps and checklists, that allow staying in the vr cockpit easy. Just the simple act of looking to the left: On monitor, I used a hat switch, my head is still looking forward, the room around my monitors is stationary....there is nothing "immersive" about that simple task. Don't understand anyone considering flight-simming in VR a novelty. The monitor approach....that's the novelty. Go up with a friend (if no PPL) in a GA aircraft for some pattern work, you'll understand what I'm talking about.....

I bought three 43” screens shortly after becoming an alpha tester for MSFS

(see

) the immersion was fantastic

Then came… VR and I bought a Reverb G2.

My three screens became obsolete. I could never go back to using the three screens after trying VR.

I personally could never go back to using 2D screens.

Mark… which VR headset did you try? Some are better than others. I find that the G2 certainly works well with MSFS (maybe one day you’ll try both? :) )

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Mark… which VR headset did you try?

Hi Steve,

It was an Oculus, not sure of any more specifics.

For me, it's a little like a cross between watching 3D TV and playing a Nintendo Wii.

VR/3D has/had it's fans. The 3D TV fans also thought it was the greatest thing but now it is gone. After using a VR headset, I can see why it's been around for decades but never really taken off and I don't think it's just the cost.

I can see if it's done well for MSFS, MSFS should be a really good game for it.

Each to their own and I may one day buy VR but it would need to be quite cheap because my use of it I feel would be very limited.

Mark Daniels

Hi Mark,

I know what you mean about vr being around a while but not really taking off.. until now at least. The headsets are much affordable nowadays (most are anyway) and have come a long way in terms of resolution etc. VR isn’t for everyone though. Sorry to hear you didn’t enjoy your go.

Flight sims are perfect for VR and MSFS works rather well with it. Even xplane looks good in vr :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I think anyone who has read any forums know the VR crowd are very loud.

Today I got to try VR for the very first time but not using MSFS.

My general opinion of it? It's as I expected before I tried it.

It's a bit of a novelty, a bit of fun, something different but geez, I won't be rushing out to buy it for myself.

Would MSFS in VR somehow be so much different to what I saw today? No, same thing, different game.

Anyhow, just mentioning it as with all the pro VR threads that are floating around, it does make you wonder if you are missing something for gaming. I found today I really feel I am not. I can also see how motion sickness can quickly become a big deal for some people.

It's good for a little novelty time but for everyday use, I'll stick with the plain old computer monitor.

Just giving a neutral opinion on my experience. I'm not pro or anti VR.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Then why are you posting in the MSFS forum if you didn't use MSFS?

Then why are you posting in the MSFS forum if you didn't use MSFS?

It really is kinda incredible how someone always needs to moan. lol

I posted as general interest. VR is a big thing for MSFS. I know most of the threads I've read are either totally for or totally against VR. This topic is a users experience of VR who is neither for or against it. While not specifically using MSFS, it is VR and I think something can still be taken from the thread.

Appears to me you are simply pro VR and cr*ppy I didn't like it and don't like to read of anyone saying so. It's the exact reason I posted the thread, some may like a more neutral opinion even if it's not specifically using MSFS.

Mark Daniels

NVIDIA 1080TI card. Oculus Rift S VR headset.

I'm more interested in the HP unit. But I suppose the bandwith is about the same so if a 1080TI works with one it should work with the other.

You have no stuttering or other performance problems?

Do you know that the extra 32 gigs were really necessary, that sounds like overkill.

(this conversation may have cost me $600!) :)

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I posted as general interest. VR is a big thing for MSFS. I know most of the threads I've read are either totally for or totally against VR. This topic is a users experience of VR who is neither for or against it. While not specifically using MSFS, it is VR and I think something can still be taken from the thread.

Appears to me you are simply pro VR and cr*ppy I didn't like it and don't like to read of anyone saying so. It's the exact reason I posted the thread, some may like a more neutral opinion even if it's not specifically using MSFS.

Moved to the "Outer Marker" as the topic is not directly related to MSFS.

You really don't know me well at all pal.. Get over yourself. I have VR and used it in MSFS with TREMENDOUS results...unlike you who never touched the sim and talk of with no experience with it in VR, when I doubt you own your own VR but tried it on someone else's machine since it doesn't work with your FS2004 you cherish so much.

Let's keep this nice please, or I'm afraid I'm going to have to close yet another thread.

This is a place where you should all respect each other, after all, you all enjoy the same thing...flight simulation

Having forums where people just get angry each at other does not help FlightSim.com at all. At the end of the day...you guys make or break the site, so it's up to you.

Let's keep this nice please, or I'm afraid I'm going to have to close yet another thread.

This is a place where you should all respect each other, after all, you all enjoy the same thing...flight simulation

Having forums where people just get angry each at other does not help FlightSim.com at all. At the end of the day...you guys make or break the site, so it's up to you.

The thing that I hate Dominic is people that feel because they are hiding behind a computer and half way around the world can state what they want about others, and that's not true. I live by treat others the way they treat you, and hope to realize they understand that. Because once one can walk all over you on public display in the forums if you don't respond to put them back down a notch, others will think they can too...