CTD, crash to desktop after Dec. update.

saberjim

Experienced aviator, inexperienced FS2020.

Getting a message on start that FS may have a problem with 3rd party software. The option is to run normally or in safe mode.

In either mode, the game starts normally but as soon as a selection for flight training or other tasks is selected the program crashes to desktop and reboots the computer. This has happened only after the latest update in December. Other strange things have happened but this is the most frustrating, The sim has run normally prior to the update.

saberjim

As instructed by other developer when I had problem with CTDs. This is what you should do. Drag and Drop EVERYTHING that is in your COMMUNITY folder to another folder, you can create it on your desktop. Then, add your add-ons again one by one until the CTD happens. It is more than likely caused by some add-on you have, that is not playing nicely with the new update.

However, in my case, and I'm not sure what your set up is like either, it may also be caused by controller set ups. What was causing my CTD was not because of scenery nor updated drivers, but what happened was, when I used a key combination on my Logitech Yoke's Throttle Quadrant is what caused the CTD. I have to use my Keyboard's assignment, not that to switch, otherwise the CTD still occurs for me.

Also, I take it you checked your graphic card's driver's version to make sure you have the latest installed?

Best of luck!

Thanks much for your reply. I will go through the steps recommended soon after Christmas and report back.

16.000 hrs. in fighters and airliners and I end up as a newbie. Nice to have the challenge though.

saberjim

No problem, I just hope it can help. It was obvious for me the mistake was the key assignments, for whenever I did the key on the controller the CTD happened, but nothing as I slowly added my add-ons back then. And just empty the Community folder. You can drag and drop them to a folder made on your desktop; that's what I did for easier access. Then I also created a short cut to the community folder on the desktop and gave it a custom icon so I don't accidentally delete or just transfer something over to it that could muck up the works.

Hope you had a great Christmas and looking forward to seeing your findings. :)

I had a similar issue but only with a Carenado PA44 Seminole, MSFS loaded normally up to the point of clicking 'Fly Now' when it would CTD. I had DX12 (DirectX 12) selected in the Graphics Options; changing it back to DX11 resolved the issue.

Yeah, its amazing how many little things can cause a CTD. Somewhere we should start a CTD Thread for the MSFS forums, and state all the findings that cure them so others can maybe have success if they get the dreaded CTD.