Overpowered FSX Learjet 45???

airgulo

For whatever reason, even after MANY years flying many of the planes in FSX I never spent much time in the LJ45. Recently, I've spent more time trying to get acclimated and it seems like that thing is just way over-powered. I've even spent time watching YouTube vids of real-world LJ45 flights trying to determine what their typical takeoff and climb thrust setting are thinking I had the throttles pushed up way too high but their climb thrust is usually around 85-87%. Even above 10,000 feet it seems like you need to fly with a pitch that gets well over 3,500 FPM climb or more to keep the speed below max, which to me seems unrealistic. Climbs are typically done with constant thrust and speed controlled by pitch, so setting the autothrottle and having the throttles cut WAY back to 60% during climbs even at 15-20,000 feet and then go up and down based on pitch just makes it seem like something's off and bugs me :( because it's not nearly realistic.

I've downloaded some items like Aydin Kaplin's corrected flight dynamics, which do address this like roll stability etc. but leave the thrust settings e.g thrust_scalar alone.

Wondering if anyone out there feels the same way and knows of any more realistic config, or even if there's a real LJ pilot in the crowd that could set me straight. It is entirely possible I am completely off base.

• 10 months later...
Normally I don't fly with the Learjet 45 (FS2004) at high altitude and not at high speed. Enjoying the environment and sometimes flying lower is also fun. But one question…. If I want to fly efficiently with low fuel consumption over a long distance (~2000 Nm) what is the choice? At high altitude, above 45,000 ft. I saw the speed decrease. Normally I go up to 330 Kts to avoid "overspeed". But at high altitude I can't get that 330 anymore. Up to Mach 0.82 would be possible. What's wrong here? Edited by Joop Kruize
No high speed at high altitude

What's wrong here?

Old thread but I'll bite.

Your IAS (Indicated Air Speed) is lower because there's simply less air up there. When you fly that high you go by the mach number. If you have a gauge that shows the ground speed (check here in the library) you should be going faster than you were at a lower altitude. Why? Because of a lack of air resistance. Think of ground speed like car speed. Speed of a car is ground speed.

So, don't think your IAS is all about your "real speed", it isn't. Mach .82 would be the max this jet can fly in real life. I believe a Gulfstream can get up to .90 or thereabouts.

So to reiterate, your IAS is an indicator of how much AIR is going past the plane - your air speed. Less air, less air speed. This is true for high altitudes. less air up there. The air sped is measured by a small hole in the front of the aircraft called a Pitot tube. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube Sometimes they freeze over with a cluster of ice. Now you have no air speed indication and thus the AP (Autopilot) will start to increase speed like mad. Now you throttle back and stall out. This happened to that Air France aircraft that crashed over the Atlantic headed toward Brazil. Pilot heat is what melts that ice accumulation in the Pitot tubes. The pilot heat is bleed air that is hot compressed gases off the engine at the compressor stage. Bleed air is also used to help start the aircraft. As well as power the air conditioning. It's like a small New York Edison Steam Works if you will. The bleed air is injected into the main engines via the APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) A small jet engine to start the aircraft. Basically the the anus of the aircraft. LOL Ever wonder why the rear end inside an aircraft smells like jet fuel? Thank the starting of the APU.

I use this:

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR=bgcolor: #EFEFEF]

[TD]FSX - FSX Business Jets FSX Lear 45 Upgraded

[ Download | View | Video ]

Name: fsx_lear45_upgraded.zip

Size: 22,707,291 Date: 08-08-2015 Downloads: 2,318

fsx_lear45_upgraded.gif

fcq1.gif FSX Lear 45 Upgraded. Paint and panel upgrade for the default Learjet 45 with switch sounds, GPWS, traffic radar, large pop-up PFD and MFD, auto-smoke and shockwave lighting configuration. FSUIPC 4.60 required. By David Robles. (See also FORGOTTEN_GAUGES.ZIP)

[/TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here's me.

Yeah, my Lear has a freaking flight attendant! LMAO!

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

CRJ_Simpilot..

Thank you for your very detailed response. I have now calculated the average speed and come out higher. In flew from Dubai to Karachi 687 Nm in 2:07 hrs. So ~ 325 Nm/hr. average. It's strange that I don't see the correct speed (yet) in my GPS. We keep learning. I saw your video of the Denver landing. Beautiful images but it is with FSX. With my computer I fly with FS9/2004 and think FSX is too heavy. Afraid of shocking images. I used to use FlightGear and my FS2004 is a lot better especially the planes. Thanks again for the helpful relationship. Good luck with the flight. Worldtravel 12 fly on. I also saw your reaction on my Worldtour. So now I am in Karachi. This will follow. (thanks)

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?339980-Around-the-World-in-a-Learjet