weather software

jgf

Been away from FS for a while; recently read ActiveSky V6.5 no longer works. Since neither the program nor the OS has changed I assume the issue lies outside our computers. Also have REX, but only used its graphics, found the weather program a kludge with glacial loading times.

What replacements are there for ActiveSky? (preferably in the price range of a retired person with relentless medical bills and no insurance, lol)

I have a Laptop with a weak built in WiFi antenna, and a burnt out Network port, so a sustained flight using 'real' Weather wreaks havoc with the Sim. So, I've relegated myself to using the Default Weather themes in the Sim.

Alan :(

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Any idea where I can find it? Their site has no download, just "FSrealwx lite is an outdated version and is no longer supported." Any other links i've found just go back to that site.

You simply need to drill down through the Download menu to: Archives: FSRealWX lite,

or, you could just use this url: https://www.fsrealwx.de/index.php/downloads/archive/fsrealwx-lite

Edited by caphavoc

Hello

I have both FSrealweather lite and also FSrealweather Pro.

Both are free, but I think? to get the Pro version you may have to register with the site.

The Pro version is a much more polished-looking app than the Lite (has more airport weather reports than the latter) BUT! In my experience, you can quite often get unrealistic (to me anyway)wild weather conditions (similar to the original live weather that used to be available for Fs9.)

For instance, you may find yourself cruising quite nicely minding your own business at M75 when out of the blue, and in an instant, you will rocket up M90 with Overspeed warnings, then just as quickly going the other way drop to stall speeds (and actually stall if you're not careful).

Last night during my flight this very thing happened, and it was so bad I had to clear the weather and load a simple weather scenario (winds Northerly to match my destination runway heading. )

Both these apps work, but it is worth bearing in mind my findings.

I do still use them but am prepared to switch to a simple weather scenario if the extreme (unrealistic in my view persists.)

Cheers Andy

Col,

Do you notice any hit to the Sim when using said Wx Themes?

Alan :pilot:

For those of you who have bad internet connections there is another alternative that I use a lot.

I downloaded a bunch of other weather themes to add to the default ones, some will match the weather you are looking for.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2700/fs2004-weather-3/

Col

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Have you tried using the FSUIPC setting to limit wind changes to 1 degree per second? (and the rate is settable).

Thanks Tom

I haven't tried that particular tweak yet, but will give it a go tonight.

I have tried various FSUIPC settings relating to wind gusts etc but with no joy.

PS

I don't get extreme weather on every flight using FSrealweather, so I don't want to put anybody of trying it,but it definitely is a problem for me from time to time.

Cheers Andy

For those of you who have bad internet connections there is another alternative that I use a lot.

I downloaded a bunch of other weather themes to add to the default ones, some will match the weather you are looking for.

Col

Good idea. I have a decent connection but often want to fly in particular weather.

Some of the themes are very good, there are some that change as well, I've been flying on a fairly nice day and the weather has turned.

Some nice cloud effects too make some nice screenshots.

I must admit I've tried FSUIPC and can't get my head round it, I tend to leave it alone now.

@Viper, no not had any hits my PC isn't a super gamer but its not bad.

Col.

Good to know, Col!

Think I'll give them a try... Thanks! :)

Some of the themes are very good, there are some that change as well, I've been flying on a fairly nice day and the weather has turned.

Some nice cloud effects too make some nice screenshots.

I must admit I've tried FSUIPC and can't get my head round it, I tend to leave it alone now.

@Viper, no not had any hits my PC isn't a super gamer but its not bad.

Col.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Good idea. I have a decent connection but often want to fly in particular weather.

Thanks for the 411 on those Wx Themes, Col! They work very nicely on my modest Laptop, and will provide all I'll ever need!

Any suggestions for some enhanced Cloud textures that look pretty, folks? :p

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
The only two I know of that work with FS2004 are:

1. FS Global: Welcome to PILOT'S! (pilots.shop)

2. FS Meteo: FS Meteo - Générateur météo

John

I purchased both of these on 12/26. FS Global seems to work well, I had been using FSrealwx but was always getting overspeed/stall situtations at altitude when the wind would shift violently with each update. Haven't had that issue with fs global. fs meteo on the other hand, ordered 12/26, credit card was charged 12/27, it's 12/29 and I have received nothing from them. I emailed them through the "contact us" on their site and few hours later received email not deliverable from my email service. I am on the phone with my credit card company now to dispute the charge.

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

I purchased both of these on 12/26. FS Global seems to work well, I had been using FSrealwx but was always getting overspeed/stall situtations at altitude when the wind would shift violently with each update. Haven't had that issue with fs global. fs meteo on the other hand, ordered 12/26, credit card was charged 12/27, it's 12/29 and I have received nothing from them. I emailed them through the "contact us" on their site and few hours later received email not deliverable from my email service. I am on the phone with my credit card company now to dispute the charge.

well, a big ol' pile of egg on my face. when you have multiple email addresses make sure you remember which one you used to place your order.... I apologize to the good folks at fsmeteo for disparaging their good name. good thing me credit card company never answered (on hold over 1 hr, finally gave up)

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Can you offer either suggested fsuipc settings, or a clear explanation of them? I've been confused about most of them. Changing settings has been frustrating, trial and error (more error than trial).

That said, I use fsrealwx lite. FS9 options/settings/display/weather is set to detailed clouds and that helps. I wish that overcast looked more like what I imagine looking at the ATIS raw data. I'm pretty satisfied with my current situation, but I wish fsrealwx lite and fsuipc had clearer settings.

nadlzfw

BTW, FSUIPC can smooth those abrupt wind changes for the most part.

didn't work for me, unless i had setting wrong but i had wind smoothing set to no more than 1 knot or degree per second but still had an issue with the wind speed/direction when an update occurred at high altitude

- bernie

Hello Flappers

Like yourself I also have had problems with both FSrealweather lite and also FsRealweather Pro.

The problem being wild wind changes, massive drops or increases in air speed occurring instantly , ie m70 to m90 as an example or the reverse sometimes causing stalls.

I did try Tom's suggestion of setting wind speed in FSUIPC to 1 and in my case this seems to have fixed the problem.BUT!

I am aware that these weather gitches can seem to have disappeared , only to come back again to catch you unawares.

If the weather gets so unrealistic and wild in the sim I will close FsRealweather and simply select a weather theme instead to continue my flight

PS I used to find that the original live weather option that was originally part of Fs9 was also prone to this weather wind mayhem.

Cheers Andy

Col

Wow I wasn't aware of this! As a AS 6.5 user now SOL (should've kept the historic weather) this is a great resource. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello FlappersLike yourself I also have had problems with both FSrealweather lite and also FsRealweather Pro.The problem being wild wind changes, massive drops or increases in air speed occurring instantly , ie m70 to m90 as an example or the reverse sometimes causing stalls.I did try Tom's suggestion of setting wind speed in FSUIPC to 1 and in my case this seems to have fixed the problem.BUT!I am aware that these weather gitches can seem to have disappeared , only to come back again to catch you unawares.If the weather gets so unrealistic and wild in the sim I will close FsRealweather and simply select a weather theme instead to continue my flightPS I used to find that the original live weather option that was originally part of Fs9 was also prone to this weather wind mayhem.Cheers Andy
I think these issues are mainly due to FS9 doing everything in cells, with little to no transition between them. You're flying in a rainstorm and enter the next cell, which weather reports clear, so instantaneously the rain disappears and you have clear skies, even worse - look behind you and there are clear skies back there also. This is why I gave up on photoscenery, unless it covers an entire island - that glaring line of demarcation between two adjacent sceneries was too jarring.