FS2004 Windows 10 multiplayer inactive / greyed out

borisvp

Greetings,

I'm one of the dinosaurs still using FS2004 from time to time, for such wonderful aircraft as the RFP 747-200. I'm running it on Windows 10, and everything works just fine - except for the multiplayer function, which prevents me from flying online (Vatsim).

The "Join multiplayer session" button / menu is greyed out in the sim. Hence, Swift (Vatsim's online client for FS9) can't connect.

Here is what I already tried:

• reinstalled the simulator
  • ran everything as administrator
  • tried all compatibility modes of Windows 10
  • installed DirectX 9
  • set up port forwarding in my router as found on portforward.com
  • installed Swift not in Program Files (x86) but in Program Files (found that in another forum)

So, is there anything else I could try or is it simply not possible?

Regards

Boris

Hi Tom, thanks for your answer.

The issue turned out to be much simpler: Multiplayer requires DirectPlay, which is deactivated by default in Win10 (in Apps and Features - Windows Features - Legacy Components).

Switched it on, and now it works :)

Boris

Hi borisvp. Just interested, I take it then that FS2004 (FS9) can still connect with VATSIM via Swift. Any news/idea how long VATSIM's Swift will continue to support FS9? Am a FS2002 user but might 'get modern' and upgrade to FS9. Years ago I studied up about VATSIM and did connect from FS2002 via Squawkbox, a few times, did the right thing and sat in my Cessna on the grass as 'Observer', watched VATSIM aircraft taxiing and taking off, listening and learning the radio comms. I wasn't ready to join in, being a novice. When I did decide a few years later to try my luck, VATSIM had just ditched Squawkbox and brought in Swift which didn't support FS2002. So I gave up! Edited by MAD1