Pressure Changes?

I recently observed during my flights in both my Just Flight F-14A/ and B and my SimSkunk F-104 that there were significant pressure changes between roughly 27K feet and 45K feet. My indicated airspeed would go from 370 knots to 200 knots instantaneously when climbing through 45K feet. This significant change would happen down lower but would only affect my F-14 to the point of dual engine surge and stall. I tested it over different parts of the country and it's the same. Also I have not changed anything weather-wise and only use Live Weather. I know it's not aircraft-specific because it affects more than one plane and two completely different developers. Maybe ASOBO installed it as a kind of barrier in Update 7 to discourage anyone from seeing that they have significantly reduced the ceiling in MSFS? But that's getting a little conspiratorial. Anyone notice anything like this? Edited by Ducktooth
added info
Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

Are you talking about altimeter setting (barometer) or just IAS changes or perhaps some other way of noting pressure. I ask because of two things, in particular, and not knowing you I don't know how much you're aware, but actual pressure (thus IAS) changes as you climb or descend, though it should change gradually with altitude, and because the altimeter setting above 18,000 ft should be 29.92 Hg" (or 1013 mb).

Assuming you already knew this, I really can't help further since I don't have that sim.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, Inuss. I knew this. If you read closely, I was talking about sudden changes rather than the normal, gradual barometric pressure changes. And I know about flying standard above 18,000 ft. I know about all of that. I have over 100 hours and a PPL IRL. Thanks, though. Edited by Ducktooth
added info

Thanks, RocketRod737! It worked. I had these hot jets that couldn't even reach 50K feet before. Especially abnormal for an F-104 (TF-104G)! I hope that the Live Weather is fixed eventually. Edited by Ducktooth

Yes, Inuss. I knew this. If you read closely, I was talking about sudden changes rather than the normal, gradual barometric pressure changes. And I know about flying standard above 18,000 ft. I know about all of that. I have over 100 hours and a PPL IRL. Thanks, though.

Which is why I said, "and not knowing you I don't know how much you're aware," since I actually had no idea what your background is-- some simmers know a LOT, some surprise me by how little they know -- so if that was the problem I thought I might be of help.

Apparently my disclaimer was unnoticed.

Oh, BTW, that's Lnuss or lnuss, not Inuss.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

LOL, sorry Lnuss. I didn't mean to seem standoffish. Some parties on here can be. Any help will be appreciated. I have also been simming since FS4 (!!), but any forum should be a place to share information no matter the experience in aviation and simming.

• 3 weeks later...
- some simmers know a LOT, some surprise me by how little they know -

I know quite a fair bit, aviation geek since age 5... not new to flying sims, have a modest number of hours at the yolk... but even I learn new things even this week! It's worth passing on information, even the high knowledge people will occasionally learn somthing new, if their minds are open!

Sure, I have used ILS for long time, but only learned how the ILS beams are actually set up from a youtube video earlier this week! It was interesting reading all the comments from pilots who appreciated the video...

... and yet I do think a minor mistake was made in the animation of the video! Watch the video and see if you can detect a mistake...

The animation in question is from 09:45 to about 10:34 ... I feel something is wrong with how the visual information is presented, yet earlier in the video the explanation seems correct, so while the creator does know his stuff, I think he made a minor mistake in presentation.

Edited by Herc79

The animation in question is from 09:45 to about 10:34 ... I feel something is wrong with how the visual information is presented, yet earlier in the video the explanation seems correct, so while the creator does know his stuff, I think he made a minor mistake in presentation.

I know some things can have a confusion factor, but nothing in particular stood out to me -- what do you see wrong?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Well, if I understood the earlier parts of the video correctly, the localizer emitter is located at the far end of the runway, and the glideslope emitter antennas are located at the runway threshold, right about where the VASI lights are...

yet in the later animation... the localizer, which is the vertical white beam, is shown to come from the VASI threshold, and the blue beam glideslope is shown to come from the far end of the runway... which IMO would result in landing to the right and PAST the runway end... crashing into an uneven field, or trees!

Now, to be fair, he DOES use the correct terminology while describing it, and the correct text labels on the video... but to me the beams themselves look like they are the wrong shape for the functions described, pointing to the wrong locations... they should be reversed and originating to the other emitting location.

But I dunno, take a close look and see if I'm wrong, maybe interpreting this animation wrong?

Edited by Herc79