BASIC Tools for Scenery Editing/Additions

ViperPilot2

Hello!

Not wanting to hijack another Thread (https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?335259-Default-Scenery-Object-Editing-Removal), I decided to start another one.

My objective is to know what Tools I need to make basic Edits to the Default FS9 Scenery, such as moving Coors Field in Denver to a more realistic location closer to the skyscrapers downtown instead of its present location out in the flat, or maybe create a basic Scenery somewhere with a basic cabin and a gravel runway.

Based on recommendations in the other Thread, I have picked up copies of:

SceneGenX

Airport for Windows 3.0

ExBuilder 2.0 (with the FSConnect 3.0 module)

Airport Design Editor (ADE)

Now I presume if I need a Default object like a fence, cabin or dock, I can pull those from the existing RWY12, EZ-Scenery or Nova Textures I already have installed in the Sim.

Can anyone else suggest any other Tools, Tutorials or other Scenery Libraries I need to achieve what I want to do?

Explanations that a somewhat addled mind like mine can handle, please... be kind! :p

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Alan :pilot:

Edited by ViperPilot2

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

I've not used Airport Design Editor, but a brief overview makes it look very comprehensive. It may well be all you need for "starting out". If I was starting from scratch, knowing what I know now, I'd probably start with ADE and look into the other utilities if there was something I couldn't achieve with that program. ADE has the distinct advantage of being actively supported!

sBuilder is very useful for laying out background polygons and such … these merge into the default scenery rather less abruptly than using aprons and taxiways directly onto the background land-class.

Although there's nothing wrong with it, Airport for Windows was directly superceded by SceneGenX and is (mostly) redundant for FS9.

SceneGenX includes the capability to generate Excludes, so may make ExBuilder redundant. SceneGenX also includes the ability to generate "generic" buildings from scratch, a feature I believe missing from ADE … from custom skyscrapers to oversize industrial hanger-type buildings to row upon row of identical housing blocks in a military establishment … all just a few clicks away (with a bit of practice!) Unfortunately SceneGenX was never "finished", so there are a couple of features in the menus that are simply not implemented and a couple of annoying little quirks that need to be circumvented ;)

EZ-Scenery, if you can find a copy with a serial number. Makes object placement within a scenery an absolute breeze, with full 3D viewing actually in the FS9 program ... and no restarts :)

I've used FSTerrainCalc in the past for a couple of specific jobs … I remember it being quite complex but very good for what I wanted it for. Probably worth having, just in case.

DXTBmp for editing texture files to include transparency, reflections and mips.

NB: Many of these "older" programs will work best if NOT installed in the default 'Programs' folder, which has all sorts of security restrictions placed on it by Windows. If you've got a second drive, great, else make new folder in the root of your drive called "FS Utilities" (or whatever suits you) and install the programs there.

I'll assume you're aware of the limitations of installing FS9 in the 'Programs\Games' folder and have it also installed somewhere more suitable.

Good luck :)

Edited by chris_eve

My personal choices:

Airport layout and ground polygons: ADE

Excludes: ExcBuilder2

Placing Library Objects: Instant Scenery

Landclass: LWM Viewer

ExcBuilder is more reliable in my hands for excluding things vs ADE.

I use Ground2K4 for terrain polygons and lines because it doesn't have the problem SBuilder seems to have - some airport polygons light up at night, very odd. But Ground2K4 has a steep learning curve.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks Tom and chris_eve for your Replies! I also downloaded a .pdf Tutorial on ExcBuilder by the late David 'Opa' Marshall; one of the only printed Scenery Tutorial I've been able to find.

A long time ago, I had a copy of EZ-Scenery on an older computer, but I never updated it and now I don't think I can piece the Software package back together.

If anyone knows of any other printed Tutorials or even other FS Forum threads that help explain the Process, please post them here, if you'd be so kind to do so.

Thanks!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

A long time ago, I had a copy of EZ-Scenery on an older computer, but I never updated it and now I don't think I can piece the Software package back together.

If anyone knows of any other printed Tutorials or even other FS Forum threads that help explain the Process, please post them here, if you'd be so kind to do so.

Thanks!

If you bought EZ-Scenery on CD the serial number would have been with the disc.

If you bought it as a download you'd probably need to find both the download file and the associated e-mail with the registration details.

I don't think there were ever any updates for EZ-Scenery, but I may be wrong.

sBuilder has a (partial) .pdf tutorial … it's in the HTML folder

Airport Design Editor has a (slightly outdated) .pdf manual incorporated in the download

There's a "generic buildings" how-to here https://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/generic_buildings_for_FS9_and_FSX.pdf

and a "drive-through-parking" for ai aircraft here http://stuff4fs.com/tutorials/drive-through%20parking%20tutorial.pdf

Much of the FS9 SDK is presented in .doc format

… that should keep you going for a while ;)

Edited by chris_eve

If you bought EZ-Scenery on CD the serial number would have been with the disc.

If you bought it as a download you'd probably need to find both the download file and the associated e-mail with the registration details.

I don't think there were ever any updates for EZ-Scenery, but I may be wrong.

sBuilder has a (partial) .pdf tutorial … it's in the HTML folder

Airport Design Editor has a (slightly outdated) .pdf manual incorporated in the download

There's a "generic buildings" how-to here https://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/generic_buildings_for_FS9_and_FSX.pdf

and a "drive-through-parking" for ai aircraft here http://stuff4fs.com/tutorials/drive-through%20parking%20tutorial.pdf

Much of the FS9 SDK is presented in .doc format

… that should keep you going for a while ;)

I found the HD from that old Desktop PC, and was able to find the Instant Scenery 2 folder with all of its contents intact; the Executable Application, the Proof of Purchase email with the Product Key and the Certificates.

Instant Scenery was updated to Version 3, but I would have to re-purchase the entire package from Flight1.

Is it possible to get by with just Version 2, provided I can run the .exe File and get what I have to work?

Thanks for the Links; looks like I have some more reading to do!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Of course version 2 would be fine. Version 3 adds a lot of features, though. I'm not sure it's available anymore, though? I can't find it on the Flight1 site.

Instant Scenery link here http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3 … including a free update from IS2 "If you purchased Instant Scenery 2 on or after January 1 2013"

Good luck :)

Of course version 2 would be fine. Version 3 adds a lot of features, though. I'm not sure it's available anymore, though? I can't find it on the Flight1 site.

Instant Scenery 3 is still available:

http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=iscen3

Unfortunately, they say that Version 3 will only run in W10 (I have W7) and that it requires a minimum 2.8 Gb Processor to work. (I only have a 1.9 GB Processor).

I purchased IS 2 back in 2011, so I'm hoping I can reinstall from what I have instead of going through Flight 1's Portal to get a reinstallation key from them.

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

That's good to know, Tom... Thanks!

Gonna do some reading (TY for the Tutorial Links) and perusing through the Scenery Forums reading older posts. Maybe there are some older YT vids out there that cover FS9 that I'll watch as well.

In the meantime, I need to fix a minor Scenery issue with some of the Alaska Bush sceneries I've downloaded... missing textures causing white squares in spots on the Scenery. It's happened before... :p

Thanks again for the Tops and your Support!

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG