Help with project for air cadets: dogfight simulator

lesdawson

Dear all,

I need some help with a simulator project, for our local air cadet unit:

They have two fantastic cockpits- typhoon type cockpits which they were given some years ago. Both cockpits are set up with three projectors, have a lot of working panel switches and screens in the cockpits, so virtually all the cockpit functions work. They have them In a decent shed , running on fsx, each is independent though- and in need of a bit of tlc to get the most out it.

I think the most important thing would be to get them linked up so they can fly head to head in dogfighting and formation flying.

So the first thing I need help with is how to link up two fsx setups- ideally via LAN so we don't need to bother with internet access etc.....I think we have to stick with fsx as to change would be a huge step to get everything working again.

I have built an old SIM using fs2004 linking two old laptops with a lan so have a little bit of experience...

All help appreciated!

Well, the first thing is to have a LAN, which probably means a router (unless you know how to make one computer act as a LAN host) connected to each computer via ethernet cable (wireless might work, depending on the router). Then, once the two computers are set up on the LAN, connect via multiplayer using the LAN IP address for each -- that is, the host starts the session and the other connects to the host's IP address. Then it's normal multiplayer.

Apologies if you already knew that, but then perhaps you'd need to specify further what you need.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi,

Thanks- all info is good, Im familiar with Lans but only very basic, the sum I built before used an ethernet switch to link the two laptops, but of course that was only for the second laptop to take the FS data and then display flight instruments on the screen. So could I use a router to connect via ethernet cables , but not connect the setup to the internet?

We don't have an Internet connection at the cadet centre and it's problematic to get one..

Thanks in advance- I'll get some photos of the cockpits and setups to post over the next week or so,

So could I use a router to connect via ethernet cables , but not connect the setup to the internet?

What you actually need is a network hub, but most of the consumer routers I know of include this function, so even a fairly old (5-10 years) router, as long as it has connections for two or more computers PLUS the internet connection port should do the job- doesn't have to be a gigabit unit for what you're wanting.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks, thats great info, I'll get one sorted out and see if I can get it up and running- sounds straightforward, but as with all things computing, it probably won't be!! I'll report back......

I guess the next step will be to sort out a ( hopefully) freeware aircraft , ideally a typhoon which can shoot weapons and actually cause damage / register guys on the other aircraft....