Seeking Help with Choosing Software/Hardware For Xmas Gift

newbert

My 16 year old nephew is taking flying lessons in a Cirrus SR-20. I would like to buy him flight sim software and controller for Xmas so that he can "practice" between actual lessons.

His PC specs are:

CPU: I5 9600 KF (3.7 Ghz, 6 cores)

Ram: 8 Gigs

Videocard: Nvidea Geforce 1030

All of his current gaming is thru Steam. I'm told that his PC has no CD or DVD Drive so I'm looking for a flight sim that would run on his system, includes the Cirrus SR-20, and is downloadable from Steam.

I'd also like to purchase a controller that would reasonably simulate the controls on an SR-20 as well.

Could anyone offer suggestions that might fit the bill? Perhaps along with links to purchase from?

Thanks!

Bert

The reason you don't have any response, is that the system specs you posted really won't run any modern software well. You could probably run an old software like FS2002 on a GT1030. That videocard is really a business software product, it will work fine on spreadsheets and word processing. In particular, the system is hampered by the lack of a Cd drive, which really eliminates FS2002.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

The reason you don't have any response, is that the system specs you posted really won't run any modern software well. You could probably run an old software like FS2002 on a GT1030. That videocard is really a business software product, it will work fine on spreadsheets and word processing. In particular, the system is hampered by the lack of a Cd drive, which really eliminates FS2002.

Well that's disappointing. I'll have to change my plans, I guess.

Thanks for your response and explanation.

Well that's disappointing. I'll have to change my plans, I guess.

Thanks for your response and explanation.

Not necessarily.

Why not try the demo version of X-Plane 11:

https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

Whilst it's true X-Plane 11 won't run at high settings; you should still be able to get satisfactory framerates if you're clever.

For example, here is a video of X-Plane 11, with the same card mentioned, but with a much slower CPU:

You nephew's CPU is a six core i5, whilst the processor in the video is dual core chip with hyperthreading. I mention this because X-Plane 11 (with Vulkan) takes advantage of additional cores:

If you find that X-Plane runs well enough, then you could perhaps check out the Cirrus here:

https://store.flightsim.com/product/vflyteair-simulations-cirrus-sr20-for-x-plane/

It's quite a complex model graphically, so you might have to be savvy in where you fly (no heavy autogen for example).

Try the demo and see how you get on.

Dominic

Not necessarily.

Why not try the demo version of X-Plane 11:

https://www.x-plane.com/desktop/try-it/

Whilst it's true X-Plane 11 won't run at high settings; you should still be able to get satisfactory framerates if you're clever.

For example, here is a video of X-Plane 11, with the same card mentioned, but with a much slower CPU:

You nephew's CPU is a six core i5, whilst the processor in the video is dual core chip with hyperthreading. I mention this because X-Plane 11 (with Vulkan) takes advantage of additional cores:

If you find that X-Plane runs well enough, then you could perhaps check out the Cirrus here:

https://store.flightsim.com/product/vflyteair-simulations-cirrus-sr20-for-x-plane/

It's quite a complex model graphically, so you might have to be savvy in where you fly (no heavy autogen for example).

Try the demo and see how you get on.

Dominic

Pretty impressive. Based on this info, I suppose that it's possible to run X-Plane 11 on his system. But it looks like it'll involve some tweaking (ie - overclocking). He's not very computer savvy and I live hundreds of miles away so couldn't help him with it. So, I'm not sure how viable an option this is.

However, if he gets an external CD drive and I get him FS2002, that might be more straightforward to get running, no? My main question about FS2002 though, is whether it will run under Windows 10?

Thanks!

Yes, FS2002 should run on Win 10, but I'd suggest you go with FS2004, rather than FS2002 if you proceed in this. It's much improved over FS2002, and should run satisfactorily on that system. With my 11 year old Win 7 system, FS2004 runs just fine, though I long ago updated to FSX and then to Prepar3d V2, though I did update my graphics card 5 or 6 years back. My system has a Core i7 960 running at 3.2 GHz with 4 cores, and my graphics card is a GTX 970.

You don't have to run the program at 30 plus frames per second, but the program can target that while automatically reducing the rate when needed. Even up through FSX and P3D V2, the big cities are the real killers in performance, while near smaller towns is much better.

Since the purpose is "so that he can "practice" between actual lessons," I think I should mention that although FS will make a dandy procedural trainer, any aircraft in these sims is unlikely to handle the way that the real aircraft do -- most flight models are somewhat flawed -- and even the finest, most expensive controls won't duplicate the feel, but the navigation systems, airport lighting, traffic patterns and other such will do just fine procedurally.

Best of luck.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

But it looks like it'll involve some tweaking (ie - overclocking).

Hi Bert,

I don't think any overclocking would be needed on his system in which to get satisfactory results.

By using X-Plane 11, your nephew would also have the benefit of having sloped runways and live weather, which would be ideal for practicing in the Cirrus. The only reason I mention live weather is because I'm not sure if it's still available in FS2004 without a third-party add-on. I could be wrong there, but I'm pretty sure the last time I fired up FS2004, live weather was unavailable.

However, if his system does indeed struggle with X-Plane 11, I would suggest Larry's route and go for FS2004. It's a major improvement over FS2002 and if your nephew does run into issues, he can always ask for support here in the forums :-)

Dominic

Thanks for the good info guys!

Since this is supposed to be a surprise, trying the X-Plane demo on my nephew's PC isn't an option unfortunately. I need to be pretty darn sure that what I decide on will run.

I see that FS2004 is also available on Amazon, although in short supply currently..... That said, the fact that X-Plane 11 has a Cirrus SR-20 add-on available would certainly fit the bill - if only I was sure that it'll run on his system.

Larry - Thanks for explaining where Flight sims fall short of realistic feel. Practicing the procedures is what I had in mind. Related to that thought, I'm considering this and this for his controllers to add some realism .... Would these apply to flying the Cirrus SR-20?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Whoops, I don't think my nephew's PC has enough RAM (8 Gigs) for X-Plane 11 (16 Gigs required). Right?

EDIT 2: Just spoke with his father. His PC is upgradeble and has 2 empty RAM slots available. So RAM may not be an issue after all. So, I guess it comes down to FS2004 vs X-Plane 11. I'd love to get him X-Plane 11 (for the SR-20 add-on), but the question is how to try the demo out on his PC beforehand without him knowing - especially since he only has 8 Gigs Ram at the present time....

Edited by newbert

Hi Bert,

The video in my initial reply shows the sim running with 8GB RAM, a GT 1030 and an i3 CPU, so it should give you some idea to performance.

Just bear in mind that the Cirrus model in question does use quite a bit of VRAM, so flying into busy airports would probably reduce framerates quite a bit.

Here is a review of the model in question:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?16276-Review-vFlyteAir-Cirrus-SR20-for-X-Plane

Dominic

I'm considering this and this for his controllers to add some realism .... Would these apply to flying the Cirrus SR-20?

The rudder pedals would apply directly, but the Cirrus has a side stick rather than a yoke, and the only Cirrus-style stick I know of is rather expensive, plus you'd need to add the throttle quadrant from elsewhere. See this page from Sporty's Pilot Shop for some stick choices: https://www.sportys.com/flight-simulator/hardware/flight-stick.html most of which are intended to be used with the right hand, while the cirrus stick is used with the left hand.

You can see this page for pictures of the Cirrus cockpit, with the sidestick in several shots and the throttle on the lower center console visible in a few.

All the above being said, most newer civilian light aircraft do use a yoke (used with the left hand) and it's likely that over the years he'll fly other types too, so your choices might be fine, especially since it won't matter a lot for many of the procedures he'll be doing for a Private Pilot's license.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Dominic and Larry - You guys are THE BEST. Thanks so much for your patience with answering my "newbie" questions and for sharing your knowledge which has been spot on!

Larry - Did you mean to link to the page of the Cirrus cockpit pictures? Also, if I DON'T get the yoke that I referenced, which specific stick/throttle would you recommend to go along with the Logitech pedals?

I don't mind spending some significant $$$ to get him realistic controllers, but the budget is not unlimited. (LOL) He's the kind of kid who doesn't get excited or enthusiastic about things very often. But it really looks like he's got the "Flying Bug", so it's good to see him focused on something that might provide a good future for him. So, I really want to help him out in pursuing this new interest.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I did mean to provide that link. So here it is:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cirrus+cockpit+picture&atb=v200-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.swaynemartin.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F08%2FDSC_0144.jpg

As to yoke or stick, or which one, the yoke you specified would probably do as well as any, since it's more likely that he'll someday fly a yoke than a more normal stick, but either way will let him work with navigation stuff, traffic patterns and much more. The only reason I mentioned it was so you wouldn't be caught by surprise, especially considering that the one Cirrus style that I know of is $1000: https://flyelite.com/product/cirrus-side-stick/

And it doesn't include engine controls either.

Personally, I've been happy with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog that I've had for a number of years, but it's expensive -- a LOT more than I paid several years ago -- and probably overkill for what you want.

So there are many choices, and lots of folks are happy with their yokes. Also, it can be prep for the future with other modern aircraft.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks again, Larry. Now I see what you mean about the left-handed joystick. Yeah - that's a BIT too pricey!

FWIW - his father just tried overclocking his video card and he says it made quite a difference. He's also looking into increasing his Ram to 16 Gigs. Based on that (even if Ram stays at 8 Gigs), it's looking more and more we'll be going with X-Plane 11.

One last question for now. Would the Logitech Yoke and pedals cover all necessary controls? Or is some sort of throttle also needed besides them? (I don't know since I've never flown a plane....) IOW - Does the yoke include a throttle control?

Thanks again.

Would the Logitech Yoke and pedals cover all necessary controls? Or is some sort of throttle also needed besides them? (I don't know since I've never flown a plane....) IOW - Does the yoke include a throttle control?

If you look at the yoke you linked to, the "Logitech G PRO Flight Yoke System, Professional Simulation Yoke and Throttle Quadrant," the think on the right side of the picture with the black, blue and red levers is the throttle, prop and mixture controls, so covers that. In addition it appears that there are other buttons and switches that are programmable, so it should cover all his needs.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks again, Larry!

FWIW - I've decided on the Logitech Yoke with Throttle, and Logitech Pedals. Software will be X-Plane 11 and the SR-20 add-on. Someone else will be gifting him an external CD/DVD drive which he can load the software from.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!

Bert

Hi Bert, throwing in my 5 cents from Aussie, very admirable for 'Uncle Bert' to be doing what you and the family are doing. Sounds like your nephew is the pilot type - calm, quite etc. And yes, the guys are GREAT re good advice. One point which it's clear from your very precise posts, is that I'm sure you appreciate that being computer stuff, whatever in theory should work, might or might not on an individual machine. So perhaps, yes, go with your plan, but a great Xmas gift is to simply promise him the gear and setup ongoing, it's a matter of trying a certain installation and see how it goes, then add to it incrementally. Am sure, by what you describe of him, that he'll be just as chuffed getting your 'gift card' rather than the actual software and hardware on Xmas day etc.) Please keep us posted about how it goes.

(For me, I only learned to fly in a Blanik glider in 1979, 24 yrs old, and remember the thrill of realising my childhood dream. Went solo then accrued 6 hrs solo, in the Northern Territory, 100km south of Darwin, Australia. At 66 yrs, am 'old school' and for my needs, FS2002 running on Windows XP is all I need, runs fine on an older PC. There's plenty of good, cheap software on eBay etc. including FS2002, FS2004 etc, CDs etc. if that interests you. I have the Logitech Flightsim Joystick shown on Sporty's Pilot Shop and also an old CH Products 'FLIGHTSIM' yoke that I refurbished which works as good as new, I prefer the yoke as it's much more sensitive and 'gentle' i.e. more realistic than the joystick which is too 'jerky' but I never fiddled with the settings to make it smoother perhaps. I fly the standard Cessna 172, which like the Cirrus, is best for new pilots to practice training things.)

This thread is interesting for me (and probably others) also, as the gurus' opinions about what software will run on what hardware is always informative. I agree with all that has been said, any sim, whilst probably not totally realistic for the feel and handling of any aircraft, will generally be very good for overall education and orientation, e.g. airport layout, taxing, procedures onground, in air, practicing circuits, radio comms etc., as aviation 'good practice' is international and all the same overall.

Final suggestion, why not get your nephew to sign up to FlightSim.com after Xmas and he can start his own journey in this fraternity.

Edited by MAD1

Just finished reading Shawn Weigelt's review of the X-Plane Cirrus addon. In his Conclusion is this cautionary para: "For whatever reason, vFlyteAir products are surprisingly resource heavy. I don't know what causes this, but there are other add-on airplanes from other companies out there that are able to deliver not only stunning looking products, but also ones that are still usable and easier on the hardware. Any potential vFlyteAir SR20 customer should definitely make sure their system has what it takes to run this aircraft before making a purchase decision.". Might be an issue for you Bert, Edited by MAD1

Just finished reading Shawn Weigelt's review of the X-Plane Cirrus addon. In his Conclusion is this cautionary para: "For whatever reason, vFlyteAir products are surprisingly resource heavy. I don't know what causes this, but there are other add-on airplanes from other companies out there that are able to deliver not only stunning looking products, but also ones that are still usable and easier on the hardware. Any potential vFlyteAir SR20 customer should definitely make sure their system has what it takes to run this aircraft before making a purchase decision.". Might be an issue for you Bert,

Yes - I read that too, Mad1. Nevertheless, I'll chance it.

Thanks!