Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking Help with Choosing Software/Hardware For Xmas Gift

Dominic and Larry - You guys are THE BEST. Thanks so much for your patience with answering my "newbie" questions and for sharing your knowledge which has been spot on!

Larry - Did you mean to link to the page of the Cirrus cockpit pictures? Also, if I DON'T get the yoke that I referenced, which specific stick/throttle would you recommend to go along with the Logitech pedals?

I don't mind spending some significant $$$ to get him realistic controllers, but the budget is not unlimited. (LOL) He's the kind of kid who doesn't get excited or enthusiastic about things very often. But it really looks like he's got the "Flying Bug", so it's good to see him focused on something that might provide a good future for him. So, I really want to help him out in pursuing this new interest.

Thanks again!

Sorry, I did mean to provide that link. So here it is:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cirrus+coc...2FDSC_0144.jpg

As to yoke or stick, or which one, the yoke you specified would probably do as well as any, since it's more likely that he'll someday fly a yoke than a more normal stick, but either way will let him work with navigation stuff, traffic patterns and much more. The only reason I mentioned it was so you wouldn't be caught by surprise, especially considering that the one Cirrus style that I know of is $1000: https://flyelite.com/product/cirrus-side-stick/

And it doesn't include engine controls either.

Personally, I've been happy with the Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog that I've had for a number of years, but it's expensive -- a LOT more than I paid several years ago -- and probably overkill for what you want.

So there are many choices, and lots of folks are happy with their yokes. Also, it can be prep for the future with other modern aircraft.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Thanks again, Larry. Now I see what you mean about the left-handed joystick. Yeah - that's a BIT too pricey!

FWIW - his father just tried overclocking his video card and he says it made quite a difference. He's also looking into increasing his Ram to 16 Gigs. Based on that (even if Ram stays at 8 Gigs), it's looking more and more we'll be going with X-Plane 11.

One last question for now. Would the Logitech Yoke and pedals cover all necessary controls? Or is some sort of throttle also needed besides them? (I don't know since I've never flown a plane....) IOW - Does the yoke include a throttle control?

Thanks again.

Would the Logitech Yoke and pedals cover all necessary controls? Or is some sort of throttle also needed besides them? (I don't know since I've never flown a plane....) IOW - Does the yoke include a throttle control?
    If you look at the yoke you linked to, the "Logitech G PRO Flight Yoke System, Professional Simulation Yoke and Throttle Quadrant," the think on the right side of the picture with the black, blue and red levers is the throttle, prop and mixture controls, so covers that. In addition it appears that there are other buttons and switches that are programmable, so it should cover all his needs.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Thanks again, Larry!

FWIW - I've decided on the Logitech Yoke with Throttle, and Logitech Pedals. Software will be X-Plane 11 and the SR-20 add-on. Someone else will be gifting him an external CD/DVD drive which he can load the software from.

Thanks again for your help, everyone!
    Bert

Glad you have it sorted out.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Hi Bert, throwing in my 5 cents from Aussie, very admirable for 'Uncle Bert' to be doing what you and the family are doing. Sounds like your nephew is the pilot type - calm, quite etc. And yes, the guys are GREAT re good advice. One point which it's clear from your very precise posts, is that I'm sure you appreciate that being computer stuff, whatever in theory should work, might or might not on an individual machine. So perhaps, yes, go with your plan, but a great Xmas gift is to simply promise him the gear and setup ongoing, it's a matter of trying a certain installation and see how it goes, then add to it incrementally. Am sure, by what you describe of him, that he'll be just as chuffed getting your 'gift card' rather than the actual software and hardware on Xmas day etc.) Please keep us posted about how it goes.

(For me, I only learned to fly in a Blanik glider in 1979, 24 yrs old, and remember the thrill of realising my childhood dream. Went solo then accrued 6 hrs solo, in the Northern Territory, 100km south of Darwin, Australia. At 66 yrs, am 'old school' and for my needs, FS2002 running on Windows XP is all I need, runs fine on an older PC. There's plenty of good, cheap software on eBay etc. including FS2002, FS2004 etc, CDs etc. if that interests you. I have the Logitech Flightsim Joystick shown on Sporty's Pilot Shop and also an old CH Products 'FLIGHTSIM' yoke that I refurbished which works as good as new, I prefer the yoke as it's much more sensitive and 'gentle' i.e. more realistic than the joystick which is too 'jerky' but I never fiddled with the settings to make it smoother perhaps. I fly the standard Cessna 172, which like the Cirrus, is best for new pilots to practice training things.)

This thread is interesting for me (and probably others) also, as the gurus' opinions about what software will run on what hardware is always informative. I agree with all that has been said, any sim, whilst probably not totally realistic for the feel and handling of any aircraft, will generally be very good for overall education and orientation, e.g. airport layout, taxing, procedures onground, in air, practicing circuits, radio comms etc., as aviation 'good practice' is international and all the same overall.

Final suggestion, why not get your nephew to sign up to FlightSim.com after Xmas and he can start his own journey in this fraternity.
    Last edited by MAD1; 12-03-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Far North Coast, New South Wales, Australia

Just finished reading Shawn Weigelt's review of the X-Plane Cirrus addon. In his Conclusion is this cautionary para: "For whatever reason, vFlyteAir products are surprisingly resource heavy. I don't know what causes this, but there are other add-on airplanes from other companies out there that are able to deliver not only stunning looking products, but also ones that are still usable and easier on the hardware. Any potential vFlyteAir SR20 customer should definitely make sure their system has what it takes to run this aircraft before making a purchase decision.". Might be an issue for you Bert,
    Last edited by MAD1; 12-03-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD1 View Post
    Just finished reading Shawn Weigelt's review of the X-Plane Cirrus addon. In his Conclusion is this cautionary para: "For whatever reason, vFlyteAir products are surprisingly resource heavy. I don't know what causes this, but there are other add-on airplanes from other companies out there that are able to deliver not only stunning looking products, but also ones that are still usable and easier on the hardware. Any potential vFlyteAir SR20 customer should definitely make sure their system has what it takes to run this aircraft before making a purchase decision.". Might be an issue for you Bert,
    Yes - I read that too, Mad1. Nevertheless, I'll chance it.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12