Autopilot Peculiarity

Finally, finally, I have learned how to get the 320neo to track a loaded flight plan on autopilot. (This took weeks of occasional effort and half a dozen Youtube videos, until one of them finally informed me that clicking the up arrow on HDG acts to "Engage managed heading" -- and that, in turn, is the equivalent of "NAV" -- a button that does not appear in the 320!)

Even so, I am puzzled by this repeating phenomenon: On AP, I'm tracking the vector to the next (distant) waypoint, when suddenly the plane veers off, to right or left. This happens without my touching a thing. The AP is still engaged, but the plane isn't following anything I can perceive; it's just choosing a course of its own. I have learned, though, I can gently "nudge" the yoke back towards the selected course; the AP doesn't disengage, but the plane seems to re-orient itself and picks up the vector again. Then I'm good until it happens again.

Has anyone else experienced this? What's going on?

I have that from time to time with a 60+ crosswind. Not veering off, just not right on the MFD path. You also might gage by looking at a moving map in conjunction with the veer. Your controls are calibrated and do not have a yaw or roll induced. No other keyboard press's interfering? One last thing. Is this in the default Asobo? Best of luck to you then. The FBW mod, Dev version is completely decoupled with the Asobo version.

Also, could your flight plan need more waypoints so that the tracking is more constrained?

I'm using the VOR - VOR flight plan generated at the welcome screen between 2 airports. I'm using the default 320neo, gentle winds. And it's not just a little bit off; left to its own devices, it turns radically away from the vector.

I think this is a bug.

On AP, I'm tracking the vector to the next (distant) waypoint, when suddenly the plane veers off, to right or left. This happens without my touching a thing. The AP is still engaged, but the plane isn't following anything I can perceive; it's just choosing a course of its own. I have learned, though, I can gently "nudge" the yoke back towards the selected course; the AP doesn't disengage, but the plane seems to re-orient itself and picks up the vector again. Then I'm good until it happens again.

Has anyone else experienced this? What's going on?

Almost since day one with the A320, the advice on the official forums has been to set your controller axis dead zones to 10% and sensitivity to 50%. This cures it 9 times out of 10.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Almost since day one with the A320, the advice on the official forums has been to set your controller axis dead zones to 10% and sensitivity to 50%. This cures it 9 times out of 10.

I agree with Tim. Too much "noise" from a controller / yoke / stick can cause this to happen. Definitely worth a little experimenting, especially the dead zone.

Are you using the default A320? The FlyByWire A32nx mod features dozens of fixes, including this issue: https://flybywiresim.com/

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you using the default A320? The FlyByWire A32nx mod features dozens of fixes, including this issue: https://flybywiresim.com/

I said above I'm using the default. Are you saying the issue I raised is known and is fixed by the add-on? I would like to think the defaults work or will be made to work eventually, if the community identifies bugs.

Are you saying the issue I raised is known and is fixed by the add-on?

I am and it is. The full list of fixes is here: https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx/blob/master/.github/CHANGELOG.md#080

Edited by tiger1962