Default Scenery Object Editing/Removal

Ottersphere

Specifically I’m trying to remove the default Jack Murphy Stadium and Convention Center in San Diego and use Abacus EZ-Scenery to replace and re-size them correctly. Also using MegaScenery SoCal Version 2. PC Aviator did a nice job moving the default objects in the LA Area, but not in SD. Easy enough to drop in the correct objects with EZ-Scenery but can’t figure out how to remove the originals. New to manipulating FS Scenery so would appreciate any insight/instructions. My research thus far leads me to believe a bgl decompiler is involved. Thanks as always for the expertise of this awesome FS Community!

Dustin

Yes, a BGL decompiler will be needed at some point if you can't just drop in an "exclude" to hide the problem building.

Several utilities have been available to generate "excludes", I use SceneGenX, long since retired but still working perfectly. Airport Design Editor is possibly the 'current' utility of choice, but I'm unfamiliar with it.

Failing an exclude, you'll need to isolate which scenery .bgl file contains the element(s) of interest, decompile this file using BGLXML or similar, examine this source code for the geographical location of the building(s) in question, delete these, then re-compile the code using BGLComp, which you'll find in the FS9 SDK.

The first few edits can be a bit daunting, but once you get used to it it's the work of a few seconds ;)

The easy way to do this is to create an exclude BGL file, excluding Library Objects and Generic Buildings (and effects if there are any flashing red lights around).

I use ExcBuilder2 for this, it's the easiest. if you are using ADE to create an SD airport you can use that instead if desired (the button with the yellow square on it). For ExcBuilder2 you will also need FSConnect installed if you don't already.

To use ExcBuilder I do this:

1. Go into Slew mode in FS (Y)

2. Go into Top Down view (Ctrl-S)

3. Press the Space Bar to point true north.

4. Slew to the upper left of your exclude area. Click the two buttons in the upper left of ExcBuilder

5. Slew to the lower right of your exclude area. Click the two buttons in the lower middle of ExcBuilder.

6. Select to exclude Generic Buildings and Library Objects (for example), or select All Objects to get rid of the autogen trees and buildings.

7. Click the Generate XML button.

8. Click the Generate Exclude File button. I give mine names that start with x (xklax_terminal.bgl).

Move the resulting .bgl file from your ExcBuilder folder to your scenery's folder, or to the Addon Scenery/scenery folder, or any other active scenery folder above the default layers.

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I have problem on one airfield where most of the taxiway signs are in the middle of the taxiway.

I have the same airfield on FSX too, I have Orbx on my FSX and when I contacted them about it I got a reply saying if I remove anything from their scenery it will no longer be supported so I left it as it is.

The airfield in question is EGNR Hawarden, taxi signs on both FS9 and FSX, not a big deal but it is annoying to look at. I tried removing them but after I thought I had they were still there, just me not doing it right.

Col.

I have problem on one airfield where most of the taxiway signs are in the middle of the taxiway.

I have the same airfield on FSX too, I have Orbx on my FSX and when I contacted them about it I got a reply saying if I remove anything from their scenery it will no longer be supported so I left it as it is.

The airfield in question is EGNR Hawarden, taxi signs on both FS9 and FSX, not a big deal but it is annoying to look at. I tried removing them but after I thought I had they were still there, just me not doing it right.

Col.

Telling you they will no longer support it if you interfere with it but are they going to fix it? Because if not they are not supporting it anyway.

I would have no compunction in making changes of my own - all you have to do is retain a set of the original files in case you break it. AFX or ADE will remove taxi signs with ease.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I'd just like to move Coors Field in Denver to its proper location next to the skyscrapers instead of being out there in the flat, all by its lonesome. It's a nice visual aid getting to the BJC VOR, but it just doesn't look realistic in the Sim. :p

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Alan, I highly recommend getting PC Aviator's MegaCity Denver. They did a great job moving all the objects to their correct locations. A couple copies on eBay right now......... Unfortunately no Pepsi Center but the old McNichol's Sports Arena is where the Pepsi Center should be. Way better than default!

Dustin

Thanks for the info, Tom! I just might have to give moving it myself a try; your Instructions to Dustin look pretty straightforward. I'll just have to get the editing tools together! :D

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG