Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: should I reload software

Default should I reload software

I have only downloaded this simulation game one time, the original installation. Since then I have done all updates as they come out. I am not having any real problems other than the same types everyone else is having. Overall, I can make a flight, make a landing and enjoy the scenery.

Is it worth my time to do a total uninstall, and then reinstall. would this give me any benefits?

maybe this is a stupid questions....it would take hours to reload this software and bring it back on line.

suggestions please.

Hobbitrocks

The quick answer is no it would not. If everything works, why tinker with it? Maybe if you explained your issues, someone here could help.
    Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 16 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*.

The early versions of FS2020 had some issues that many (including myself) solved by doing a full reinstall. For whatever reason, early on an updated system seemed to not be identical with a fresh install. Shortly after the 3000 series of video cards were released and Nvidia changed some of their code, I hit another roadblock and couldn’t update my video driver without FS2020 turning into a slideshow. I had never rebuilt Windows and it was installed from a very early release of Windows 10. I have FS2020 on a different drive so was able to reinstall Windows without redownloading FS2020. I rebuilt using a fresh iso from Microsoft and all my video card driver issues went away. As an aside, I found a blurb in the Nvidia release notes that the then new drivers weren’t compatible with early Windows 10 versions.

The thing is that updated software ought to be identical to full reinstalls but for whatever reason this seems to escape Microsoft. I can’t tell you whether a full reinstall of FS2020 will help you or not, or if a reinstall of Windows (depends on how old your current install is) using a fresh iso might also help. I don’t know if they’ve explained their update processes.

There’s a whole lot going on inside Windows and FS2020. Before Windows 10, the lore was to always rebuild Windows every year to clear out the junk. Since Windows 10, many think it’s not necessary. But if you add and remove software a lot, things can get messed up.

So no idea if you should reinstall FS2020. FS2020 and Windows are tied pretty close so I wouldn’t stop looking for issues at FS2020’s border. It could also be Windows tripping up something in FS2020 though that is just a mention. I don’t have enough information to suspect it.

In sum, hard to say and it could be you won’t know if you need to until you actually do if it changes anything. The point of this is just to say it may make a big difference but with all the work involved, I’d save it for a last resort which it was for me.

I for one, HATE reinstalling MSFS. As you pointed out, it is working.

Like my dad would tell me, If it ain't broke, don't fix it

My recommendation is to wait until the next World Update breaks it, then go from there.
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

I have been running the initial install since the release, without any problems.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I too have the ORIGINAL install, it works just fine.

All of the "packages" are always being updated, replacing the previous ones. So in effect, your getting a partial reinstall with every update. If Asobo posts a buggy update, a update update follows which replaces the files and issue.

As long as you don't mess with any of the core files, WHAT IS THE POINT OF REINSTALLING? OK for some people, it gives you peace of mind.

I have other things I can do besides wasting time with unnecessary reinstalling, that includes the OS and other applications also.

Only thing I have done is this from Nick Cooper at ORBX...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Cooper @ ORBX

1. Delete any rolling cache.

2. Delete the Content.xml file.

(AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Content.xml)

3. Delete the simulator .dat files

(AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\SceneryIndexes\*.dat)

4. Do not add anything to the Community folder
    This clears out any old data files and rebuilds next time you start the sim. Obviously for #4 only the first time you restart, then you can put your add-ons back. I usually skip step #1 because it takes too long to rebuild and I usually just fly in a new area.

EDIT: Also when asked to clear out the Community folder, it is enough to just rename it such as Community_OLD. Once you restart the sim one time, make sure the newly regenerated Community folder is empty, then delete it. Rename Community_OLD back to Community.
    Last edited by dogdish; 11-28-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

If you REALLY need peace of mind about your current install, just go to:

Start > Settings > Apps > Microsoft Flight Simulator > Advanced Options

Wait for it to load (which may take some time!) then scroll down to the Reset section and click on Repair - WARNING - don't click on Reset because that will delete MSFS.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

I do appreciate the insight. I think at this time, since I am not having any issues, I will leave it as is. I did like the comment, If it ain't broke don't fix it.....I think that is the answer in an egg shell

Hobbitrocks

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hobbitrocks View Post
    I do appreciate the insight. I think at this time, since I am not having any issues, I will leave it as is. I did like the comment, If it ain't broke don't fix it.....I think that is the answer in an egg shell

Hobbitrocks
    I saw on a previous post you got your GoFlight Hardware working with MSFS without any additional software. Can you explain it again in detail how you did that so I can get mine going again? They never came out with a new version of software for the latest sim. Thanks in advance for doing this. I'd really appreciate it.

The only time I reinstall is when the World Updates keep looping on a particular file and the only way to get past it, is to reinstall.
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast