Spaces appeared in aircraft.cfg

ColR1948

I recently re-installed FS9, after I got it running OK I started to put back some of my saved aircraft from the last time I had it running.

Anyway I went to add a new paint scheme to one of them and then I noticed massive spaces in the aircraft.cfg. I know they were not there before because I like to keep them neat and tidy. So that made me look in the others I had added and sure enough they too had developed the spaces, I know the sim doesn't read spaces but it annoys me.

Anyone else ever noticed this after adding their old aircraft back in the sim, I just wondered why it happens, maybe just a Windows thing.

Col.

Maybe the original files were set out using tab's, which are also ignored by FS.

Could be down to which program you're using to read the files … some readers ignore tab's, others translate them as a pre-configured number of spaces, often 4 or 8.

Not sure I've noticed the effect in FS files, but I've certainly experienced it elsewhere.

If you're really interested it might prove fruitful to examine the file(s) with a hex editor, to see if they are actual space characters or something else being translated as such.

It was a long while ago now but once I saved a lot of aircraft to a DVD disk, months must have past and I went to get a certain aircraft off the disk.

When I opened it only part of each aircraft was saved, the model, air file and something else I forget what but the whole lot was no use anymore.

Maybe the way I saved them I don't know but I was gutted, it hasn't happened since though.

Col.