Southern Hemisphere not understood by AI?

Anyone else notice that late spring in New Zealand is in the dead of winter? Not to mention way below real winter weather even if it actually was winter there. I was a bit surprised as its a pretty techie program so I thought their AI would be more robust. Still if you stay north of the equator you're okay. But still waiting for them to move into Lockheed realism world wide. Couple of decent planes in the update though.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3, 4, 5 REXII, OrbX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Interestingly enough it is late spring over the entire thousand plus miles. However my favorite flight is Milford Bay to Queenstown on the South Island. I keep hoping they will rework their Milford Bay which is gorgeous year round in real life though it tends to fog in some. OrbX does a decent job with it in P3d It has deep winter temps in the low 40's (F) and 60's - low70's in the summer. Bay never comes close to freezing. Take a look at how it's portrayed now in MSFS 2020. [NZMF] Hardly late spring.

AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz oc'd to 4.4, 16 gig 2133 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 980Ti w/4gig

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Which part of New Zealand are you looking at? It's a thousand miles long from north to south, with climate varying from subtropical to sub-antarctic. I just checked the North Island in April and it appeared as green as Ireland!

I just read your post a bit more accurately and saw something I missed. You actually sort of made my point for me. You're making the same error their AI is making. April would be mid-fall with dead of winter just a few months off. Ireland green isn't a real presentation of mid-fall season accuracy I'm afraid in any part of New Zealand. Southern hemisphere runs contrary to the northern hemisphere, with dead of winter being the northern hemisphere's mid summer. Again - I would expect a techie program to be in touch with the reality of the planet. End of November in New Zealand is approaching their summer months so an arctic weather presentation is WAY off in any part of New Zealand. Surrounded by the ocean it's winter temps are pretty mild also.

Edited by jring2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

MSFS doesn't currently support changing seasons. It is on their development roadmap with an estimate of 2022.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/november-18th-2021-development-update/

Thanks for the link and the clarification, loki.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

I just read your post a bit more accurately and saw something I missed. You actually sort of made my point for me. You're making the same error their AI is making. April would be mid-fall with dead of winter just a few months off. Ireland green isn't a real presentation of mid-fall season accuracy I'm afraid in any part of New Zealand. Southern hemisphere runs contrary to the northern hemisphere, with dead of winter being the northern hemisphere's mid summer. Again - I would expect a techie program to be in touch with the reality of the planet. End of November in New Zealand is approaching their summer months so an arctic weather presentation is WAY off in any part of New Zealand. Surrounded by the ocean it's winter temps are pretty mild also.

I am well acquainted with the seasons in New Zealand -- I lived there for a year. You are correct that spring there is September - November (not April). However, it doesn't matter what month you pick, because the textures in default MSFS are all summer ones -- currently they do not change with the seasons in any part of the world, NZ included.

I don't understand your original post in which you said that late spring in NZ looked like the dead of winter -- I see only summer there regardless. Are you using an add-on that might be the cause of this?

Those are the weirdest looking summer textures I’ve ever seen. I pulled the community folder if perhaps some add-on was adding textures, (though I know of no add-on that adds textures to stock landscape.) All but one of these came from today. The other was on the 21st. Milford Bay frozen to the ocean in late spring. Not sure why I have seasons, but also, I had some serious icing out of Canada when I was flying in February. Had to drop down pretty low to get free and skim the melting snow on the ground. I guess my MSFS didn't get the "summer only" memo.

As an aside, I've flown Milford Bay in what should have been the dead of winter and nice summer textures were displayed back then - thus my take on their misunderstanding the seasons.

New Zealand in the spring.jpg

NZMF1.jpg

NZMF2.jpg

NZMF3.jpg

NZMF4.jpg

NZMF5.jpg

Edited by jring2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Your winter pics look a lot like the snow that you can select in the MSFS weather menu. Did you by chance have this turned on? To repeat -- MSFS currently does not change with the seasons; you have to make the changes manually.

Where would I Look for that? I also took some shots of Fairbanks and Takotna about to go into the dark of winter. Snow there too. I do have "live weather" turned on. I have no idea where to find a menu that selects seasons. I don't have snow in (most) moderate climates.

If you are thinking "presets" then the answer is 'no'. I am set at live weather. Is there another place you might be referring to?

Edited by jring2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Fairbanks and Talktena

Fairbanks Alaska.jpg

Takotna Alaska.jpg

Takotna Alaska 2.jpg

Takotna Alaska 3.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

Where would I Look for that? I also took some shots of Fairbanks and Takotna about to go into the dark of winter. Snow there too. I do have "live weather" turned on. I have no idea where to find a menu that selects seasons. I don't have snow in (most) moderate climates.

If you are thinking "presets" then the answer is 'no'. I am set at live weather. Is there another place you might be referring to?

In the weather drop-down menu there is an option to set snow level. Very good for creating wintry ground conditions. But there is no way to select "seasons" per se.

Edited by cobalt

In the weather drop-down menu there is an option to set snow level. Very good for creating wintry ground conditions. But there is no way to select "seasons" per se.

Interesting! When set at "live weather" it creates snow even if all the sliders are set at null. If I take it off live weather we go to the experience you gentlemen were talking about - summer textures. I guess the "Live Weather" function is dysfunctional atm. It also doesn't do that everywhere. Queenstown is nice and clear.

Thanks for helping me clear up the mystery

weather 1.jpgweather 2.jpg

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

John

• 2 weeks later...
My understanding is that for at least the past few months Live Weather does collect and display data regarding snow cover on the ground. It's not a "seasonal" display across the board, and snow cover could be present in some locations year-round, but it is supposed to represent the actual snow cover at your location at that time.

The live snow coverage seemed to still work a week or so ago. We had a big dump in Halifax at the time, and it was present in the sim.

With that said, it took the sim a minute or two to catch up. I initially thought it wasn't working and left the sim running while I stepped out; when I came back the area was covered in snow and my poor C208 was rapidly icing up.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide