ESC key no longer works

Has anyone else had this problem?

It's extremely annoying to be in a flight wanting to access the main menu by pressing ESC and finding that nothing happens. It isn't even possible to end the flight (even Alt + F4 doesn't do it). I can only get out of the sim by using the taskmaster.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please. I've got to the stage where I don't want to use fs2020 at the moment - and that's just after buying a new Honeycomb yoke!

It's extremely annoying to be in a flight wanting to access the main menu by pressing ESC and finding that nothing happens. It isn't even possible to end the flight (even Alt + F4 doesn't do it). I can only get out of the sim by using the taskmaster.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please. I've got to the stage where I don't want to use fs2020 at the moment - and that's just after buying a new Honeycomb yoke!

Hate to say this, but it has been working for me.

You mentioned a new yoke, perhaps unplug it and see if the problem persists?

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

So the only way to exit the sim is to call Greg Davies? (Taskmaster) sorry LOL

I know you meant task manager, but could resist.

I presume you’ve gone into the control settings page to see if the keyboard bindings have changed? Is the escape key on your keyboard working in other programs?

By the way, if you sim is in windowed mode (press Alt+enter) you can always exit it by pressing the X at the top right. Not the best way, but better better than using the task manager

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I am not experiencing this problem either. I suspect you have a controller issue with a conflict between your keyboard or joystick or yoke? I second Steve's suggestion.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I've noticed the ESC key not working when, if using multi-monitor, I'm on the second monitor clicking on something and forget to "click back on the primary panel where MSFS is running". Depressing ESC will not work until I click back on the primary screen, then the ESC and the mouse pointer works fine. This may not applicable to you if you aren't using multi-monitors.

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

I've noticed the ESC key not working when, if using multi-monitor, I'm on the second monitor clicking on something and forget to "click back on the primary panel where MSFS is running". Depressing ESC will not work until I click back on the primary screen, then the ESC and the mouse pointer works fine. This may not applicable to you if you aren't using multi-monitors.

I fly in VR now, but I also have three screens. You wouldn’t believe how often I would accidentally click outside of the main screen and then wonder why the mouse isn’t working. I’d remove my VR headset, only to find I’ve opened MS Paint, or sending an email LOL

I did some searching and found a freeware program called DMT (dual monitor tools)

That now launches with Windows and stops my cursor from leaving the main screen.. and flight sim!

It’s a simple program but it does the job :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I had this problem a while back when I was in window mode. Went to full screen and all was well.

Many thanks to you all. Yes, of course I meant "Task Manager" (silly old fool - 93 on Saturday).

I have been using two monitors for as long as I can remember and have never had this problem before. I always use full screen

I sincerely hope it isn't the fault of my lovely Honeycomb yoke but I'll try the various suggestions and see what happens.

Jock, I have both the Alpha and Bravo... no issues here. I sometimes forget to click on the main monitor to get the keyboard to work. Good luck.... tp

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

I found that the ESC key was set to Toggle Pause!

Now I need someone to tell me, please, what I should (try to) bind it to. There is nothing in all of the list which makes any reference to the action required.

This is getting extremely frustrating.

Jock

I found that the ESC key was set to Toggle Pause!

Now I need someone to tell me, please, what I should (try to) bind it to. There is nothing in all of the list which makes any reference to the action required.

This is getting extremely frustrating.

Jock

Mine is also set to Toggle Pause

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi Jock, mine is also set to pause and it works fine. There are actually two bindings for ESC…

under miscellaneous.. “SET PAUSE OFF”

under menu…. “TOGGLE PAUSE”

keyboard (2) (Medium).jpg

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Hi Jock, mine is also set to pause and it works fine. There are actually two bindings for ESC…

under miscellaneous.. “SET PAUSE OFF”

under menu…. “TOGGLE PAUSE”

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228013[/ATTACH]

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your helpful reply.

Now that I know what to do I shall get the sim up and do what you told me.

Ill report back.

Regards,

Jock

Great!

Glad it’s working again :)

Regards

Steve