FS9 won't run

gypsymoth

I installed FS9 in a W7 machine. I found it in Program files (X86) Microsoft Games. I clicked the FS9.exe icon & nothing happens.

Express Installation went as usual with requests to add discs as needed. I then clicked to run (play) but nothing happened.

Usually a FS9.cfg is put into AppData/roaming/microsoft/fs9 but there's nothing there.

I've searched the machine & can only find a 2 yr old saved FS9.cfg copy in a folded where I saved previous FS items.

Can anyone offer an insight into this ?

Thanks.

It's not a mystery as Program Files/Program Files (x86) is the default location for just about every Windows program out there, with the (x86) being for 32 bit applications like FS9. Due to the increased security Microsoft has put around those directories from Windows Vista onwards that can interfere with add-ons and tweaking files, it is usually easiest to redirect the installer to put the sim elsewhere. Being in the default directory doesn't usually stop the base sim from running though.

What you need to do is a so called "custom Install", preferably to a HD partition outside the one in which your Windows lives. Installing FS9 into the default (x86) folder will cause unpredictable problems later on because FS9 does many routine things, which Windows then regards as being a threat to it's security.

I would therefore want to advise you to uninstall your FS9, to delete any residual files and to then perform a "custom" install, After that you should download/install the FS9 update and the "NoCD" enhancement.

Good luck.

Hans

What you need to do is a so called "custom Install", preferably to a HD partition outside the one in which your Windows lives. Installing FS9 into the default (x86) folder will cause unpredictable problems later on because FS9 does many routine things, which Windows then regards as being a threat to it's security.

I would therefore want to advise you to uninstall your FS9, to delete any residual files and to then perform a "custom" install, After that you should download/install the FS9 update and the "NoCD" enhancement.

Good luck.

Hans

And the 9.1 Patch after that, too. :)

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Not long ago I re-installed FS9 and forgot to take care where it went and it installed in x86, I had to uninstall it and this time I took care where it went, I directed it outside x86, as John Hinson mentioned above it isn't obvious at first.

Some installs halt and ask you where you want to install to, but with FS9 you have to kind of find that option.

Col.

I get a notification telling me there is another answer & it tells me what I should do or not have done.

As far as I can see it's aimed at me. If none of this is aimed at me why not say so ?

I was once warned that some of these forums are used by some regulars as private notice boards & I see what they meant.

I know of simmers who are afraid to ask questions for fear of being made to look ignorant &/or small & even ridiculed.

Understanding & manners are certainly in very short supply.

Edited by gypsymoth

I get a notification telling me there is another answer & it tells me what I should do or not have done.

As far as I can see it's aimed at me. If none of this is aimed at me why not say so ?

I was once warned that some of these forums are used by some regulars as private notice boards & I see what they meant.

I know of simmers who are afraid to ask questions for fear of being made to look ignorant &/or small & even ridiculed.

Understanding & manners are certainly in very short supply.

Judging by the wording and the basics of your initial post, you sounded very much like a total FS9 newbie who needed help with the basic FS9 installation procedure. As a result, some of us with many years of technical experience, have in fact tried to help you but your style of answering and especially your totally uncalled for final reaction, has made it clear that you have a very short non-simmer fuse.

Pity.

Hans