Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS9 won't run

Default FS9 won't run

I installed FS9 in a W7 machine. I found it in Program files (X86) Microsoft Games. I clicked the FS9.exe icon & nothing happens.

Express Installation went as usual with requests to add discs as needed. I then clicked to run (play) but nothing happened.

Usually a FS9.cfg is put into AppData/roaming/microsoft/fs9 but there's nothing there.

I've searched the machine & can only find a 2 yr old saved FS9.cfg copy in a folded where I saved previous FS items.

Can anyone offer an insight into this ?

Thanks.

I clicked the fs9.exe icon & it started ! Better late then never :-)

It has been stated about 1mil times now, don't put flightsim in (x86) folder...........

Quote Originally Posted by piet06273 View Post
    It has been stated about 1mil times now, don't put flightsim in (x86) folder...........
    I didn't. The installation process did it.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymoth View Post
    I didn't. The installation process did it.
    There is a stage during the installation process where you are given the option to choose where to install it. It isn't obvious - you have to go through the installation with care.

John

I have installed flight sim many many times & I choose EXPRESS & leave the process to run.
    I don't direct where it goes. That it ended up in X86 is a mystery....................

It's not a mystery as Program Files/Program Files (x86) is the default location for just about every Windows program out there, with the (x86) being for 32 bit applications like FS9. Due to the increased security Microsoft has put around those directories from Windows Vista onwards that can interfere with add-ons and tweaking files, it is usually easiest to redirect the installer to put the sim elsewhere. Being in the default directory doesn't usually stop the base sim from running though.

They've usually gone to the Program Files folder.....but not this time. It's a mystery to me however.....

What you need to do is a so called "custom Install", preferably to a HD partition outside the one in which your Windows lives. Installing FS9 into the default (x86) folder will cause unpredictable problems later on because FS9 does many routine things, which Windows then regards as being a threat to it's security.

I would therefore want to advise you to uninstall your FS9, to delete any residual files and to then perform a "custom" install, After that you should download/install the FS9 update and the "NoCD" enhancement.

Good luck.
    Hans

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    What you need to do is a so called "custom Install", preferably to a HD partition outside the one in which your Windows lives. Installing FS9 into the default (x86) folder will cause unpredictable problems later on because FS9 does many routine things, which Windows then regards as being a threat to it's security.

I would therefore want to advise you to uninstall your FS9, to delete any residual files and to then perform a "custom" install, After that you should download/install the FS9 update and the "NoCD" enhancement.

Good luck.
    Hans
    And the 9.1 Patch after that, too.

Alan

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen
    AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast