Program crashes after responding to ATC instruction to contact ground, after flight

elmerfudd

After a flight, I turn off at a taxiway, and ATC says to contact ground. As soon as I respond, the program crashes. My old Dell used to do this, but my newer Dell did not, but now it is, as well.

I used to use some tricks to mitigate this, such as saving the flight before I turn off, which worked for a while, then it didn't. I then started delaying my response to the ATC until they repeat the instruction to contact ground, which worked for a while, then it didn't. The longer the flight, the more likely this is to happen. Recently, it happened after a short flight.

It messes up my logbook, (the flight doesn't get logged), and the state.cfg file (the time doesn't get added to the file).

Any solution to this vexing problem?

Elmer J. Fudd

Does not seem to be ATC issue. Does it happen at the same airport, are others OK? If at the same airport, is it add-on airport? If it is add-on turn it back to default one and see if the problem persist. Any other add-on scenery around? To me this sounds like a scenery issue with non standard textures.

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Tom,

I have no add-on scenery. I tried that once, in the FS8, and didn't like the results, so I left things the way they are. Right now, I'm doing a flight around the world, using the Grumman Albatross. I wonder if the plane has something to do with it. I did another flight yesterday in another machine using an A35 Bonanza, and didn't have the problem there.

I guess I'll have to wait until I finish this flight, before I switch planes and see if the problem continues.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Edited by elmerfudd

My FS9 often crashes when I am taxiing if:

I have a small spotter plane window open looking at the side of the plane so that I can see where I am relative to the runway;

When I have touched down and switched the main view to spotter so I can taxi clear of the runway;

I have not closed the small spotter view.

Computer Management/Windows Logs/Applications usually shows that weather.DLL is the problem. I keep a spare original version of weather.DLL tucked away - I delete the version in FS9/Modules and paste the original into Modules.

Everything is then okay for months on end. The problem can occur with other DLLs - I check Windows Logs to see what has caused the crash and replace the faulty DLL.

I have no idea why this occurs but I can live with it. It doesn't happen very often.

David

David,

Thanks for the tip. I've checked the Weather.DLL files, (keep in mind that I run my sims on old XP boxes. I bought a new Win 7 computer about nine years ago, with the hopes that it would run FSX, but found that it would not even run FS9 properly. FS8 runs fine on it). The Weather.DLL files I have are the originals, installed by FS9.

I'm beginning to suspect that the Grumman Albatross may be the culprit. When I finish this trip, I'll switch planes and see what happens. That'll take awhile. In the meantime, I've mitigated the problem by landing on the water nearest my destination. No ATC, no problem.

I have another box with Golden Wings and Silver Wings installed, and have no problem there. If it turns out to be the Weather.DLL, I can copy the good one from there.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Edited by elmerfudd

Elmer,

I have FS9 running on Win 7 Pro 64-bit and it runs very well. I do not have any compatibility settings in use just run FS9 as Administrator. I did run it in XP mode but I have found since that not using XP mode made it run much better. I have Ground Environment Pro, Ultimate Terrain Europe and Genesis mesh.

I use a dedicated SSD for FS9.

I have been flying the MS Flight Sim for years - I'm 73 and have Paris scenery on a floppy disc. My first MS sim flew on the old screens with just green and black. I have dabbled with X-Plane but until we get fast broadband in our little French village I think FS9 will see me out.

Happy flying,

David

Col,

You may have a point. I've taken a look-see at my Albatross, which I installed nearly ten years ago. It came with some custom radio gauges, but for some reason, I didn't use them. I installed the default radio stack from a Cessna. Being so long ago, I don't recall why I did this. I'll have to do some investigation, maybe try the gauges that comes with the Albatross. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

David,

As stated above, I run my sims in old XP boxes. I believe the reason that FS9 doesn't run well on my Win 7 comes down to the el-cheapo video card that they put in the box. I specified a dedicated video card when I ordered it, with the idea that a separate card would work better. We also have a near-identical computer with onboard video, that doesn't exhibit the problems I'm having.

Of course, another advantage to using my old XP boxes is that I can use my Win 7 to surf the net on those long over-water flights. Works for me.

I'm debating getting a new computer to run the new Flight Simulator 2020.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Elmer,

You are probably right about the video card. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 with 2GB memory installed and it's very good although I wish I had bought the 4GB version - you can never have enough video memory.

My computer is an HP Z600 WorkStation with 2 XEON processors, 28GB RAM running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. All of which is wasted on FS9 but you can download a Freeware program called Large Address Aware that will enable FS9 to access 4GB RAM instead of 2. Every little bit helps.

HP Z600 Workstations with Win 7 are still available on E-Bay for about £200 but most now have Win 10 installed. I bought mine from E-Bay Germany as it was the only way to buy a refurbished Win 7 computer. It's a huge heavy beast but it's silent and has a big power supply and plenty of slots. The GTX card requires two slots side-by-side.

If you want a Win 10 computer refurbished computers like my Z600 are a way of trying it out without spending a fortune.

David

David,

I have an old Core 2 Duo with Win 10 installed, that a relative of mine brought me from his workplace. It originally came with XP, was upgraded by a refurber with Win 7, and then some brilliant soul thought it was a good idea to upgrade it to Win 10. Win 10 has no business being in this old box. At any rate, I poked around in it just for yucks, and I don't like Win 10. I hope I never have to go down that road, although I suppose it's inevitable.

If that day comes, I'll just bite the bullet and get a Dell with the appropriate specs. In the meantime, if any of my XP boxes bites the dust, I have spares.

Regards,

Terry

Col,

I've installed the radios that came with the Albatross. I don't recall why I was using the default radio stack, but I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that when I installed the Albatross radios, I had some trouble turning them on (they are not on by default). When I clicked on the volume control/ on-off switch, nothing happened. I had to click to the right of the control to turn them on. The radios are actually quite nice and realistic looking. I will give them a try and see what happens when I next land at a controlled airport.

Thanks again.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...