Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Program crashes after responding to ATC instruction to contact ground, after flight

Col,

You may have a point. I've taken a look-see at my Albatross, which I installed nearly ten years ago. It came with some custom radio gauges, but for some reason, I didn't use them. I installed the default radio stack from a Cessna. Being so long ago, I don't recall why I did this. I'll have to do some investigation, maybe try the gauges that comes with the Albatross. Thanks for the tip.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

David,

As stated above, I run my sims in old XP boxes. I believe the reason that FS9 doesn't run well on my Win 7 comes down to the el-cheapo video card that they put in the box. I specified a dedicated video card when I ordered it, with the idea that a separate card would work better. We also have a near-identical computer with onboard video, that doesn't exhibit the problems I'm having.

Of course, another advantage to using my old XP boxes is that I can use my Win 7 to surf the net on those long over-water flights. Works for me.

I'm debating getting a new computer to run the new Flight Simulator 2020.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Elmer,

You are probably right about the video card. I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 with 2GB memory installed and it's very good although I wish I had bought the 4GB version - you can never have enough video memory.

My computer is an HP Z600 WorkStation with 2 XEON processors, 28GB RAM running Win 7 Pro 64-bit. All of which is wasted on FS9 but you can download a Freeware program called Large Address Aware that will enable FS9 to access 4GB RAM instead of 2. Every little bit helps.

HP Z600 Workstations with Win 7 are still available on E-Bay for about £200 but most now have Win 10 installed. I bought mine from E-Bay Germany as it was the only way to buy a refurbished Win 7 computer. It's a huge heavy beast but it's silent and has a big power supply and plenty of slots. The GTX card requires two slots side-by-side.

If you want a Win 10 computer refurbished computers like my Z600 are a way of trying it out without spending a fortune.

David

Instead of trying the gauges just swap the panel it will tell the sim what gauges it needs, it will be quicker, if it works then find a panel you like and keep that one. or if you are in for doing it then change the gauges.

Col.

David,

I have an old Core 2 Duo with Win 10 installed, that a relative of mine brought me from his workplace. It originally came with XP, was upgraded by a refurber with Win 7, and then some brilliant soul thought it was a good idea to upgrade it to Win 10. Win 10 has no business being in this old box. At any rate, I poked around in it just for yucks, and I don't like Win 10. I hope I never have to go down that road, although I suppose it's inevitable.

If that day comes, I'll just bite the bullet and get a Dell with the appropriate specs. In the meantime, if any of my XP boxes bites the dust, I have spares.

Regards,

Terry

Col,

I've installed the radios that came with the Albatross. I don't recall why I was using the default radio stack, but I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that when I installed the Albatross radios, I had some trouble turning them on (they are not on by default). When I clicked on the volume control/ on-off switch, nothing happened. I had to click to the right of the control to turn them on. The radios are actually quite nice and realistic looking. I will give them a try and see what happens when I next land at a controlled airport.

Thanks again.

Terry

Nice one Terry, if they don't work always try another, I had that with a few panels. I changed a few till I found a nice one that had what i wanted plus it was easy to use on a light aircraft.

Col.

Col.

As noted above, I've installed the Albatross radios. I've done three flights since then, and the problem has not recurred. Thanks so much, for the tip.

Regards,

Terry

Great Terry, pleased it is working again now.

Col.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12