MSFS Update deleted entire simulator

I went to update MSFS and did everything as I should, including moving my addons out of the community folder. the issue started in the Microsoft store when the update hung at 245mb for over 30 minutes. I decided to hit cancel install and restart the PC to try again, when I noticed that I suddenly had almost 200 extra GB of free space. a quick browse through the files confirmed that the Microsoft store just deleted my entire MSFS install... Absolutely lovely.

Same thing just happened to me when I was getting all the updates from Microsoft Store. All of a sudden everything stopped and closed and the Microsoft Store app opened again but this time looking refreshed (they have obviously updated the app itself) and and all the other apps updated except one, THE ONE, MSFS didn't update and left a red cross saying SOMETHING WENT WRONG ON OUR END. Then I realized the game is gone from the hard drive. Madness!!!

The cautionary import of this thread, should be the need to keep everything in your system updated BEFORE you update MSFS. There was a thread on this forum warning of just this specific issue, and the need to update the Store and Gaming Services before the MSFS update.

Before you rush to update MSFS, take the time to look through the forum threads and see if anyone has information that may save a lot of grief.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Wish I hadn’t updated OpenXR

I actually wiped everything and reinstalled Win11 and MSFS - obviously this gave me the latest OpenXR which presumably is why the sim keeps crashing and saying “cannot initialise VR”.

When it does work, my view keeps going weird. some things, (like other users gametags) keep still when I move my head, while the rest shake and move erratically..then usually CTD

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Guest Robert455

Hey Steve, if you reinstalled Windows11 it’s still possible you don’t have the latest OpenXR. I am not familiar with differences between 10 and 11 so this is all hand-wavy stuff, but OpenXR is Khronos Group. Microsoft may have permission to bundle it in but the various releases of at least 10 are static and not continually updated. You would have whatever version was included in that build.

With so much being updated so frequently, have you checked the Khronos website for a newer version? And they probably have an older version archive where you can revert if it turns out you need to.

Hi Robert, thanks for the info. I didn’t know about Kronos but I shall certainly check it out. There are loads of comments on the official forums by people who have updated OpenXR and are having the same issues. It could of course be all down to SU7. Either way, us VR users are having problems now.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Today after months and months of no ctd's I find myself reinstalling the sim, I thought ctd were a thing of the past! Thanks for the new tested update Asobo & Open XR! For god's sake slow down and get it RIGHT!! I've had 6 ctd since the update..... if this was a new car I would be around the dealers shoving it up their rear ends! I'm not even going to start on OpenXR, I wonder what would happen to the world if today's software developers made software for hospitals and utilities lol

Hell, I will send you fish if it helps you to concentrate on the job at hand!.... Rant over and breathe...

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Today after months and months of no ctd's I find myself reinstalling the sim, I thought ctd were a thing of the past! Thanks for the new tested update Asobo & Open XR! For god's sake slow down and get it RIGHT!! I've had 6 ctd since the update..... if this was a new car I would be around the dealers shoving it up their rear ends! I'm not even going to start on OpenXR, I wonder what would happen to the world if today's software developers made software for hospitals and utilities lol

Hell, I will send you fish if it helps you to concentrate on the job at hand!.... Rant over and breathe...

You couldn’t be more right Dave! I think I’m going to try another reinstall too (the sim only this time)

You never know, it might work.

VR Flight Sim Guy posted a video three days ago (before Su7) saying how the latest version of OpenXR has stopped all these crashes… but it looks like Asobo have got other ideas LOL

I’ve just launched the sim again.. gone into VR.. exited VR and tried to get back in.. but the message popped up of course.. THE INITIALIZATION of VR failed (initialisation spelt wrong too! LOL)

Regards

Steve