Update on the Real Learjet 35A Panel for FS5.1!

flightnerd86

As I was working on the graphics on my previous posted panel, I felt the panel was not very "real" in contrary to my statement. My work on the cockpit art felt wasted if I was just going to use unrealistic digital gauges based in an old 90s panel mod. So I decided not to keep the Uwe Strauch A320 avionic elements and instead restart and go hardcore in making an authentic analog Learjet 35A panel. At least as far as FS5.1 allows me to. The only thing I havent done is write my own gauges, so some of Peter Kruesis excellent 737 gauges and art was borrowed and built upon for this project.

So with the help of a Simuflite panel layout poster and many photographs of the actual Lear 35A cockpit, I set out making it as good as possible. Even made a new Lear 35 custom gear lever icon, which is animated. For the elements that are borrowed, I will write proper credits. But overall I have done an enourmous amount of pixel drawing, .pnl file modifications, palette conversions, icon modding, and cross checking with FS5.1. So now I have a template of design elements, so it is relatively easy to change say panel backgrounds, art, etc. Thank god for modern tools like Pixelformer, GIMP, DOSBox, and nothing could have been possible for me without the tool set that is PANMOD5 for DOS. :pilot:

This was a real test of patience and a lot of work. I have the mother of all mouse arms now.. :rolleyes: But everything is in its place and works great. Check ut the screens.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by flightnerd86

This poster was a great reference! The original being high resolution of course. There are differences in certain areas between Lear 35 cockpit revisions, the autopilot layout is one such area. Many photos online also reveal button layout differences. Also, I changed AOA for a compass as the compass would be higher up on the centrepost than FS5.1 let you see.

I am a bit puzzled that Microsoft chose to use the Learjet 31 cockpit avionics for the 35, in their original panel. Or was that an optional upgrade for LJ35 as well?

Simuflite Poster.jpg

I suddenly discovered a major oversight on my part.. The upper "dash" panel and centerpost as you can see in my posts above, was in wrong scale compared to the lower instrument panel. Centerpost should be approx. above the outer right engine gauge, and the upper panel should be more to the right. All of the upper panel should be more zoomed in, so to speak. Cannot believe I did not catch this before..

But this has now been corrected, and a lot of fixes and various art has been added or changed. The engine start/off/gen panel now has animated switches. The spoiler also has an animated switch. The flaps indicator now looks like the real deal, and I have tried to get all of the panel to resemble the actual Learjet 35A, as close as possible within FS5.1 without making new .gau files.

fs5_174.jpg

fs5_175.jpg

fs5_187.jpg

fs5_185.jpg

So, nearing completion now. On testing I found bleedthrough in the panel of some lights/colors, like sequence lights on approach. After reducing the shades of dark grey in the panel this problem went away. Some additional graphical fixes / cleanup has been done on the upper panel as well.

I also made a new OMI indicator, based on the SimuFlite poster one. It has to stay where it is though. Just for looks I added some graphics to the engine panel, like the emergency brake beside the "throttle levers", as well as reset buttons and bulbs for the generator. I am quite satisfied with the detail so far, at the same time I don't want to cram the panel full.

I welcome all opinions and suggestions. :cool:

fs5_177.jpg

fs5_182.jpg

fs5_184.jpg

fs5_185.jpg