Video Resolution Changes when Launching FSX

Darr31

Hello…

I think something went wrong when I tried to update the Nvidia video driver on my PC. Now, after selecting the aircraft and airport within FSX, the video changes resolution from 1920 x 1080 to 800 x 600. When I go to the PC Control Panel, it switches back to 1920 x 1080, and that is what it shows when I open the Display Control Panel too. It is only when I am trying to start FSX that it switched to 800 x 600. No other programs on my PC have this resolution problem. I have tried to update the video drivers several times from NVidia GeForce, but each time I have tried, it fails, saying the video card does not meet the minimum requirements for the update. Updates NVidia GeForce updates 340.50 and 342.01 have failed. I am not sure what the current video update is on my PC now.

Here is my current system:

PC: Gateway DX4840-7, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, NVidia GeForce 315 512MB, Intel Core i5 Processor 650, 1TB Hard Drive

Monitor: Viewsonic VX2452mh, Model #: VS15562

FSX: FSX Deluxe Edition, with Acceleration Pack installed, using PMDG 737 NGX

Other: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, Logitech Flight Yoke System

Software Running with FSX: vPilot, Active Sky 2016 for FSX, LUVCARS4 (Southwest Virtual Airlines software)

Any help you can provide to correct this is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Rich

What is the resolution setting in your fsx.cfg? Just googled your card and its pretty old and not dedicated to gaming but more for professional applications/dual monitors. That is prob your issue?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Assuming your 'full screen resolution' parameter is set correctly in the options/settings/display/graphics page, FSX has likely gotten confused. Shut down FSX, then open fsx.cfg and delete any sections labelled [display.device...]. When you re-start FSX it should work properly.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Well, the current resolution problem still exists, and this is after I have done the following:

1. Successfully updated the Nvidia driver

2. Uninstalled FXS and reinstalled it, including the Acceleration Expansion Pack

3. When opening the FSX.CFG file, I found no display devices listed in the file. Could that be the problem?

When you get into FSX, with the FSX.cfg NOT being edited or displayed, select setting, then customize. Then click on the graphics tab. Under device you should see your graphics card listed (or perhaps select it from the drop down menu). Then in the full resolution box select the screen resolution you want to use, in this case the same one your system is set for. Mine is 1920x1080 32 bit.

When you exit the sim (do it now), you should then be able to display the fsx.cfg and see an entry such as:

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX .0]

Mode=1920x1080x32

AntiAlias=1

Anisotropic=1

depending on what you have set, of course.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

It's funny how people mix/confuse 'update' of 'driver' and 'latest version' of 'driver'. If you bought your video card in 2015 then you need specific 'drivers' (a ('correct') version of driver(s)) for that card (for that year). You can't just download the 'latest driver' IF THERE is NO 'UPDATE' for 2015 drivers. You are stuck with THAT driver (for that year) for that card. Drivers alone can not perform 'miracles'. Sorry.

Example: GTX 1080 bought in 2017 will not work with drivers released 2018 - 2021. This is a 'Windows' (especially Win 10) problem and not a Nvidia problem. If you want to 'use' the 'latest drivers' from Nvidia then you must 'upgarde' your VIDEO CARD, not just the drivers. In 'real' life here is no free lunch!

And re-install of FSX has nothing to do with screen resolution problem(s). You monitor has/has not capability of 1920x1080 res -AND- your video card has/has not capability of 1920x1080 res. One (or both) is your 'problem'. So: get a newer monitor -or- get a newer video card. Or both.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

hi your pc should be enough, you could try uninstalled video card then installing it again and it should give you the right update for your card,

also i have a nvida gt710 2gb card ,resolution has always been 1024x768x32 ,

and i run FPS unlimted , mine is the disc version of fsx with acc packand with lots of mixed add ons via download and discs,

tbh when i tried setting my resolution ages ago it would not work or look all strange

only dlc i had problems installing disc version was space shuttle , but thats now been fixed,

i would make sure in the future that you delete all files related to fsx, ,that was my origanal problem and somewhere i had a dupi set of FSX files messing with each fresh install of FSX

but default resolution for mine has always been ( 1024x768x32 ) and it runs pretty much perfect ,

cheers mark

Edited by senna94f1
spell checker not working

It's funny how people mix/confuse 'update' of 'driver' and 'latest version' of 'driver'. If you bought your video card in 2015 then you need specific 'drivers' (a ('correct') version of driver(s)) for that card (for that year). You can't just download the 'latest driver' IF THERE is NO 'UPDATE' for 2015 drivers. You are stuck with THAT driver (for that year) for that card. Drivers alone can not perform 'miracles'. Sorry.

Example: GTX 1080 bought in 2017 will not work with drivers released 2018 - 2021. This is a 'Windows' (especially Win 10) problem and not a Nvidia problem. If you want to 'use' the 'latest drivers' from Nvidia then you must 'upgarde' your VIDEO CARD, not just the drivers. In 'real' life here is no free lunch!

And re-install of FSX has nothing to do with screen resolution problem(s). You monitor has/has not capability of 1920x1080 res -AND- your video card has/has not capability of 1920x1080 res. One (or both) is your 'problem'. So: get a newer monitor -or- get a newer video card. Or both.

Chuck B

Napamule

Truer words were never spoken. If a driver release has updates specific to your GPU then do the update. Otherwise don't. All this "use the newest driver" talk is nonsense. Always remember...if it ain't broke. don't fix it.

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

It's funny how people mix/confuse 'update' of 'driver' and 'latest version' of 'driver'. If you bought your video card in 2015 then you need specific 'drivers' (a ('correct') version of driver(s)) for that card (for that year). You can't just download the 'latest driver' IF THERE is NO 'UPDATE' for 2015 drivers. ... Example: GTX 1080 bought in 2017 will not work with drivers released 2018 - 2021. This is a 'Windows' (especially Win 10) problem and not a Nvidia problem.

I have a 1070 that runs just fine with the most current drivers - 472.12. If you mean "newer drivers likely won't make a difference for your card" I'd agree, but your statement as written is nonsense.