Purchased Aircraft

I purchased the Flyingiron Spitfire LF Mk 1Xc today. It is a nicely modeled aircraft but the both times I have taken it up, the engine has cut out approx 5 minutes into the flight. That really makes it a waste of time and money. Any help appreciated. Also today, I purchased the Bell 47G Helicopter. Both myself and the computer pilot have failed to get it off the ground without crashing. It just rotates around and around and then crashes. You would think that the computer pilot could fly it. Again, any help appreciated.

Did you follow the complete proper startup checklist that specifically came with the aircraft? both magnetos on? Did you add carb heat in case of carb icing? Maybe it's something else, but generally speaking, such addons work fine, and so if systems fail just minutes in, it's probably because you the virtual pilot forgot to do something, turn a system on....

As for the Bell, do you have rudder pedals? Generally, helis, especially older pre-computers, are not truly stable for flying or hovering. The pilot has to make lots of constatant adjustments/inputs. And it's very difficult to input precision rudder/tailrotor movements without rudder pedals. The AI may not be up to such quirky old helis either!!! Calibrate your rudder pedals, maybe or maybe not add "curves" to the pedal axis, and try again.

Which setting did you have the Bell 47G set to? Try setting it to “easy” or “medium” first.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Many thanks for replies. I am a senior amateur pilot flying with a Thrustmaster Airbus joystick. I am still learning and consider it a big win taking off from Hobart and landing at Launceston without crashing. With hindsight, the spitfire and bell were probably not wise purchases. I have managed to coax more time out of the spitfire and will take your advice on board. I have also managed to fly the bell but unfortunately have not yet been able to land it. I will persist and hopefully improve as time goes by.

So from my amateur point of view, keep in mind that while those two aircraft are "relatively" simple systems wise compared to a modern Airbus, both are not exactly "docile" or "easy" in handling, they have quirks for pilots with a bit of experience. They aren't bucking broncos that will kill you in the blink of an eye like the F-104 Starfighter either though.

Even the early Spitfire models were able to cruise around for nearly 2 hours at 220mph... probably more like an hour if they had to use full mil power for dogfighting, but certainly a lot more than 5 or 10 minutes that you are experiencing! Later models probably had more fuel.

But I don't think your issue with the Spitfire is about flying/handling, but in what you did or did not set in the cockpit.. I think you missed something important, a switch or lever position.

Note: WW2 Warbirds were capable of VERY high engine performance at very short durations, but ONLY for very short durations before the engines would damage themselves! If upon takeoff you give it full power and keep it at full power, then the product programming likely starts a timer that simulates the damage you'd be doing to a real Merlin engine! The Flying Iron website states:

Engine Damage now optional – can be toggled ON/OFF via Radio Preset Button D

https://flyingironsimulations.com/products/spitfire-l-f-mk-ixc-for-microsoft-flight-simulator

Also, if you go to their website, and to the MSFS2020 version (they have an Xplane version too, but don't concern yourself with that one),

https://flyingironsimulations.com/products/spitfire-l-f-mk-ixc-for-microsoft-flight-simulator

scroll down to the bottom of this page to DOWNLOADS

and download the MANUAL and read it!

Also, watch this: TUTORIAL: Starting the MSFS2020 Spitfire Cold and Dark!

you need to follow the checklist that was specifically created for this particular aircraft, as each aircraft have their own custom checklists.

Your Spitfire ought to have come with a startup checklist of some kind, see here how to access the checklist:

https://www.google.com/search?q=msfs+2020+checklist&rlz=1CAEAQE_enCA894&oq=msfs2020+checklis&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i10l2j0i10i22i30.11002j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_d1GRYb-eHZ7O0PEP1s2N4Aw79

and there is probably a youtube video showing how to takeoff and land the Spitfire:

Separate from that, read the manual, as there is probably a few changes needed once you want to fly a long cruise, and yet a few more changes to go full power for 2 minutes for say a canyon run or simulated dogfighting with a friend online! See, like all planes, even Warbird icons like the beautiful Spitfire have pilot workloads just to configure for each phase of flight. A long time ago someone posted a real checklist for a warbird (Corsair F4U ??) to transform from cruise to dogfight... and it was perhaps 7 steps?!?! That was a stunning revelation to me, as up to that time I thought it was "spot the enemy, slam the throttle to full, and pull G's!", but no, doing only that would likely end up with a shot down pilot ... they had a checklist to do (probably memorized by the time they would see combat) even then, so that everything was optimal before getting into that "knife fight in a phone booth" known as dogfighting.

Edited by Herc79

Again, thanks for the info. I will continue to learn and fly the spitfire. The Bell i will leave for the time being. I only really purchased that because of the beautiful panorama through all that perspex. In an earlier incarnation of MSFS, I flew a WW2 fighter plane from Devonport to Hobart visually and I had the engine cranked all the way up with no dramas at all. I suppose I was expecting that the Spitfire in MSFS2020 would be of a similar disposition. I can see the value in learning how to prep a plane properly before flying and it will definitely make for a more immersive experience. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...
Unfortunately MSFS 2020 has problems with planes. The piloting of some planes does not correspond to reality. Several planes I bought have problems. Microsoft and its partners sell planes we can't fly. These planes have serious problems. , the mixture is always cutting, the plane is already in a spin, etc etc. It's simple to see the efficiency, the perfection of the planes in DCS WORLD. Everything works perfectly. The configurations by plane, the piloting, it's all very good! DCS WORLD was created by Russians. The amount of details, missions, campaigns, everything is perfect. MSFS 2020 has only one thing spectacular...the look. The technical part leaves something to be desired.

Which setting did you have the Bell 47G set to? Try setting it to “easy” or “medium” first.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, I'm still hesitating about buying the Bell 47G since it was first released.

If I finally do, I will hardly use in mode other than "easy".

Would you please confirm how "easy" it is? :)

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Hi Dan,

It’s really easy to fly in “easy mode” - in fact it’s quite hard to crash LOL. if you take your hands off the controls for instance, it pretty much stops in mid air. I must admit I haven’t flown it in a while but I certainly enjoyed it in ( in VR)

I made this clip a while back..

(The map I’m using is SimEFB & isn’t part of the B47)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles