Gaming Monitor

Jim Hall

Does anyone own a Samsung 49" Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor and if so, do you recommend it?

Thanks,

Jim

i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

• 3 weeks later...
I experimented with my new G9 Odyssey that has an aspect ratio of 32:9. The 1000R was impressive and immersive; however, my previous monitor was a HDTV and the G9 seemed grainier across the board. I tried all the FSX resolutions and had to choose between seeing the sky and runway upon landing or seeing my instruments clearly. The best tradeoff yielded a screen less than 2/3 the width of the monitor and small instruments--and not much blue sky. In short, I cannot recommend this monitor for FSX/MS2020. Perhaps the G9 is more suited for 2D games like car racing. Now I’m looking at Steve’s “3 X 43” Panasonic TV’s” but finding room for them will be dicey and how to hook them up yet a new challenge. Steve, if you are reading this, could you share an image of your cockpit setup?
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.