trenches across terrain

Hi all.

Apologies if this has been raised before, I couldn't find reference to it.

Ever since update 4 my terrain has changed with trenches appearing across large areas. These show up in world view zoomed in as lines (see photos) and when flying I have all these long trenches appear.

Can anyone please offer advice as to how to fix this ?

Thanks - Chris.

-2021-nov-8-001.jpg-2021-nov-8-006.jpg-2021-nov-8-007.jpg-2021-nov-8-008.jpg-2021-nov-8-001.jpg

Some information would be helpful. Where are you flying? What are your computer specs & what storage device are you using? What are your settings?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I've seen this too, but not as up-close as some of your screenshots. I've pretty well cured it by setting Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching to Ultra - there's no impact on FPS by doing this, and I only catch a glimpse of a small trench in the distance before it fills itself in. To change this setting, go to: Options > General Options > Graphics and Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching is the third one down under Advanced Settings.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Desktop PC

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz 3.79 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.9 GB usable)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

System type 64-bit operating system

Windows 10 home version.

I'm not overly computer literate i'm sorry, and not sure what you mean by my storage device.

I have a 930GB hardrive Seagate Barracuda 510 SSD ZP 1000CM 30001 if that is what you mean.

Settings? well I use default MS FS2020 with no addons.

Everything was working absolutely fine until update 4 was installed.

The area I am flying in is Central Scotland - screenshots were take at Cumbernauld Airport (half way between Edinburgh and Glasgow.)

Hope you might be able to shed some light on this matter and any advice will be gratefully received - thanks!

Chris.

Edited by aikichris

I just took off from Cumbernauld RW25. Here is a screen shot of what I see.

I suspect it is either a slow internet connection or you are running the program off the HD. It is likely a data lag problem from slow inputs from one of those two areas.

Cumbernauld.jpg

Cumberna2.jpg

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi and thanks.

How would I know if i was running off the hard drive?

Sorry if I don't understand.

Is this controlled through settings?

As I said already, i had no issues at all until installing update 4.

Could this update have change the default settings?

I still have the visual issue whether or not i use real time weather, or preset.

Thanks,

Chris.

It would be determined by your installation path. What is your internet connection speed? If it is less than 30 mbytes/s, that could be your problem.

If you are game, I would like to try an experiment. If the SU4 update expanded a data demand, it may have triggered your problem. I am going to post a screenshot of some setting changes marked by orange arrows. Just change the things marked by the orange arrows. I will b e back in a few minutes.

Set the setting values to the ones marked beside the orange arrows. Leave your other settings as they were. Apply and save. Now try a flight out of the same airport.

These settings should reduce the data demand, so if the program now works correctly, that would indicate your problem. You could then work back to add setting values upward until the issue reappears.

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Set the setting values to the ones marked beside the orange arrows. Leave your other settings as they were. Apply and save. Now try a flight out of the same airport.

These settings should reduce the data demand, so if the program now works correctly, that would indicate your problem. You could then work back to add setting values upward until the issue reappears.

Hi - I have tried this,but unfortunately the sim looks exactly the same. Thanks for your time and effort.

I've seen this too, but not as up-close as some of your screenshots. I've pretty well cured it by setting Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching to Ultra - there's no impact on FPS by doing this, and I only catch a glimpse of a small trench in the distance before it fills itself in. To change this setting, go to: Options > General Options > Graphics and Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching is the third one down under Advanced Settings.

Hi Tim - I have tried this but with no success i'm afraid!

Thanks for your help though.

Edited by aikichris

One more thing to try. Run GeForce Experience optimization. It may not help, but it is worth a shot.

Hi all - I believe I have managed to fix this issue.

I'm not sure if my Bing data was ever previously turned on before (is it off by default?) but I turned it on, and the visual issue disappeared. I then turned it back off again and restarted the sim, and the problem is now gone.

Is Bing data worth enabling generally or is it really not necessary?

For me the Bing data scenery is one of the biggest attractions of this sim and after paying all that money for it I'm sure as hell going to use it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It should have been turned on by default. You need Bing data.

Occasionally, some experience things getting shut off during updates. Your Bing data may have been one of those occurrences. Keep it on.

It should have been turned on by default. You need Bing data.

Occasionally, some experience things getting shut off during updates. Your Bing data may have been one of those occurrences. Keep it on.

I suspect that it was turned off during an update (probably no 4)

Yes I will have it on and check it is again if similar happens again.

Thanks for your help.