Steam VS MS Store

I am thinking of upgrading MSFS from standard to at least Deluxe.

I was also (considering) going through Steam. I've read some good posts on this forum regarding have to reinstall with Steam and how easy it was.

Is there a difference in buying through Steam or the Store?

Would I have to continue to update MS Store?

The reason behind this post is that (again), I am getting the Insert Disk One message. Of course, there is no disk one, lol. I had this happen before and logging out of MS Store and Xbox, rebooting, did the trick. Now it does not.

Thanks!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Do the updates appear at the same time with Steam or is there a delay?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

As a Steam user from day one, I have had no issues at all. I don't even bother to clean out the community folder, as I keep forgetting before I update.

Steam is just a shortcut, before the MS "launcher" kicks in. Everything is the same. The updates comes from MS, so yes, same time. So when you launch, the sim wants to update, not Steam.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

I am thinking of upgrading MSFS from standard to at least Deluxe.

I was also (considering) going through Steam. I've read some good posts on this forum regarding have to reinstall with Steam and how easy it was.

Is there a difference in buying through Steam or the Store?

Would I have to continue to update MS Store?

The reason behind this post is that (again), I am getting the Insert Disk One message. Of course, there is no disk one, lol. I had this happen before and logging out of MS Store and Xbox, rebooting, did the trick. Now it does not.

Thanks!

I might be missing something, but where did you buy the Standard edition? If you bought it on the MS Store, I don't think you can change your purchase to Steam. Or did you go for the Gamepass?

Out of curiousity, what is luring to you upgrade? I have the Deluxe version myself, only for the Baron, steam 172 and Cape Town International.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I might be missing something, but where did you buy the Standard edition? If you bought it on the MS Store, I don't think you can change your purchase to Steam. Or did you go for the Gamepass?

Out of curiousity, what is luring to you upgrade? I have the Deluxe version myself, only for the Baron, steam 172 and Cape Town International.

I bought the Standard version on the MS Store. The reason I was thinking of upgrading is (1) I had heard/read Steam was easier to use, last reinstall took over 12 hours.

However, if Steam utilizes the MS Store, (which actually makes sense), then there probably is no reason to use Steam and upgrade to Deluxe. Although, the steam 172 does sound nice!!!

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I'm with Steam here but I think the 172 is part of the premium package. Not sure but I didn't think it was a Steam add-on.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

Do the updates appear at the same time with Steam or is there a delay?

Regards

Steve

I think the updates appear at the same time on Steam. What usually happens is, on boot up there is a small auto update by Steam. When you launch MSFS then it checks for updates and loads the bigger update that people talk about. After that I usually go into the Content Manager in the sim and look for anything else that needs to be updated.

There is no logging in/out of MS Store or XBox.

Steam has been problem free for me regarding updates.

Well, at this time I an unsure which way to go. I've uninstalled MSFS, attempted to reinstall, keep getting the Insert Disk One message.

Tried the logging in/out, rebooting, no good.

Don't want to spend $70+ and not have it work :(

Hi David,

I’m sure you’ll already know, but there are loads of posts about this on the official forum. Many are saying it’s to do with your internet connection. Some say rebooting your router may help. I’m not sure myself.

Take a look..

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/please-insert-disc-digital-version-help-please/281258/5

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi David,

I’m sure you’ll already know, but there are loads of posts about this on the official forum. Many are saying it’s to do with your internet connection. Some say rebooting your router may help. I’m not sure myself.

Take a look..

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/please-insert-disc-digital-version-help-please/281258/5

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, I "think" I've found the problem, my antivirus, Norton :)

I uninstalled it, started the installing of MSFS (and it is working), reinstalled Norton.

Norton was running SO SLOW, I think it was bogging down the computer. I am thinking it was having problems connecting to the MSFS server that the program was thinking, ok, I am needing disk one.

We shall see, the install is still ongoing.

Hope you're right :)

One of the posts on the official forum was by someone saying windows defender was blocking it.. so it could be true about Norton.

Regards

Steve

Hope you're right :)

One of the posts on the official forum was by someone saying windows defender was blocking it.. so it could be true about Norton.

Regards

Steve

Woke up this morning with the install complete. Installed the world packages and had a test flight. Then I shut the sim down, and restarted, loading is MUCH faster. Seems like Norton was the problem. We shall see :D

Guest Robert455

Actually, for some reason or other, when updates hit it seems to be on Steam first with the MS store folks following a little later judging by flightsimulator.com posts I’ve seen but I wouldn’t base a decision solely on that since it might change.

The difference between the two versions appears to just be the loader stub you get from MS or Steam and not much difference in that. You’re in that stub up until after the checking for updates page you see in the sim. Then the stub calls the main program which I believe is the same for all.

I can’t speak to the MS Store version but my experience with the Steam version has been great. Part of the integration with Steam somehow made FS2020 very agnostic on where you put it and Steam doesn’t care if you move it out from under Steam. It just notices it’s gone and offers to redownload it. Point it at the new FS2020 location and it checks first and doesn’t just blindly download. It inventories first.

Also, to be clear, there are two sets of directories. There’s the Steam repository that has the manifests and steamapps and the FS2020 directory that contains the Community and Official folders. You point Steam at the Steam side, not the folder with Community and Official subfolders. You’ll know you got it right when Steam inventories and relinks. Otherwise, if it doesn’t recognize what you point it at it will want to redownload the stub.

The only thing I’ve had to do after moving to a new location is modify the last line in UserCfg.opt which I think tells the stub loader where to find the actual program since that’s the path to the directory with the Official and Community folders. You have to modify that line any time you move the big directory.

There do seem to be/have been issues with the MS store version of the stub loader. I’ve seen people complain about how the MS store takes a while to recognize there is a new version. That can easily change, though. I’m sure MS has seen all the posts about Steam users getting downloads first and expect them to fix that.

For me, the bigger thing has turned out to be just how Steam handles application locations. I’ve moved all of my flightsim files a few times now since the sim came out last year and also rebuilt Windows a couple of times trying to sort an Nvidia driver update issue. In all cases, once Steam was back up and running it was trivial to reconnect to my FS2020 app and all other games. I’ve never had any issues with putting FS2020 in nonstandard locations (on its own drive) and that turned out to be especially handy that it wasn’t on C drive when I had to rebuild Windows a couple of times.

It could well be that MS store versions can do all this too but I can’t say anything about that since I’ve never run the MS store version. If you can’t put the stub wherever you want it, you may still be able to put the big program wherever you want to if you edit that line in UserCfg.opt.

Thanks for the info Robert. At this time I am going to stay where I am at, however, the information is useful and if I make the switch, I have a reference point!

The wife has given the ok to upgrade, so who knows :)

Guest Robert455
I was thinking some more about this and wanted to add that this is just my experience and my preference. Others can address the advantages of the MS store version and some have. I just don’t use that so have no direct experience of direct pros and cons. Like I said above it could well be the MS store version is capable of the same thing. I haven’t read all the responses so some may have already said. I’m just comfortable with moving stuff around, reformats, and reinstallations. There could also be issues yet to see with the Steam version. And things like which version gets to start downloading updates sooner are always subject to change. But being able to move stuff around easily is handy for those upgrading systems.

Hi Steve, I "think" I've found the problem, my antivirus, Norton :)

I uninstalled it, started the installing of MSFS (and it is working), reinstalled Norton.

If Norton was the problem, why would you re-install it? I'm not a big fan of Norton but it has been years since I tried it.

Pat

If Norton was the problem, why would you re-install it? I'm not a big fan of Norton but it has been years since I tried it.

Pat

No thinking about the steps first :)

I had already uninstalled MSFS, then Norton. In hindsight, I should have uninstalled Norton, tried MSFS to see what would happen.

Sigh :)

I run Norton and see no issues with anything. If it is Norton I would be interested in knowing that.

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

I run Norton and see no issues with anything. If it is Norton I would be interested in knowing that.

I feel that my copy got borked, bad update perhaps?? I say that it was Norton because it would take over 5 minutes just to open up the settings, or do anything in it at all. (literally 4-5 minutes). Opening up of folders was delayed, would take 15-20 seconds just to open the folder.

I installed Malwarebytes, went into safe mode and did a complete scan, just to make sure I did not have any Malware slowing me down (scan showed zero problems).

At that point, I went back into regular Windows, uninstalled MSFS (should have waited, sigh), tried to reinstall it (with Norton still installed), kept getting the Insert Disk One message. Did some forum reading and one of the postings mentioned another anti-virus causing problems.

After I read that, everything just clicked. I then uninstalled Norton, started the MSFS reinstall (again, lol), and this time I was greeted by the familiar start up screens, and the Update Manager, got the update going (91 gigs), then reinstalled Norton, and the my system has been running ever since.

Glad you got it sorted. That's weird how Norton affected your system. Oh well. Every system is different.

• 2 weeks later...
Several months ago I tried to suggest that Steam users appeared to have fewer problems than MS Store users, but nobody seemed to agree. As a Steam user, I’m glad I chose Steam…

I originally bought MSFS through the MS store. Then I almost immediately ran into the insert-(non-existent)-disc issue, requested and got a quick refund from MS, and repurchased it on Steam. I had a lot of subsequent issues, requiring several reinstalls, but they had nothing to do with Steam. MSFS has been running great (knock on wood) for several months now, except for a prolonged stutter a couple of days ago which might’ve had something to do with the NXi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5