New type of airplane

Though I've seen nothing identical to that in the past, there have been a number of aircraft with a somewhat similar look, such as the Questair Venture and some experimentals back further. And how about Spaceship One that won the X-prize in 2004.

In spite of the hype on MSN, it's not a new TYPE of aircraft, just an unusual shape for the fuselage. And, based on what I've seen in the past, I suspect they'll have LOTS of teething troubles and wind up modifying that shape. Note this quote: Even small, temporary imperfections like ice or squashed bugs can impair laminar flow, which is very difficult to scale to the size of an airliner.

Since the design is, indeed, laminar flow, they may have trouble making it perform to expectations under real world day to day conditions due to disruption of the laminar flow. They also may need to revise the cockpit windshield arrangement, if past researchers are any indication.

As mallcott says, it's not all that different, but it IS interesting that they are trying the laminar flow for the whole fuselage, indeed, the whole aircraft -- it would be great if they can succeed with their intent, but I'm very skeptical.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I had to hunt on their website to find that the V-12 diesel is about 550 horsepower, which with having only reached 218 kts at 17K sounds not that much better than a Baron (200 kts with a pair of IO-550s, 300 HP each), and with better performance apparently to come from bigger engines (if I understood it correctly), which gives diminishing returns as power goes up, though it is somewhat better efficiency, it's nowhere near the "Speed of a VLJ/Light Jet" at this point.

Lots of hype, but it will be interesting to see if, unlike so many prototypes in the past with big promises, it can actually reach its stated goals in a prototype, let alone a production version.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I had to hunt on their website to find that the V-12 diesel is about 550 horsepower, which with having only reached 218 kts at 17K sounds not that much better than a Baron (200 kts with a pair of IO-550s, 300 HP each), and with better performance apparently to come from bigger engines (if I understood it correctly), which gives diminishing returns as power goes up, though it is somewhat better efficiency, it's nowhere near the "Speed of a VLJ/Light Jet" at this point.

Lots of hype, but it will be interesting to see if, unlike so many prototypes in the past with big promises, it can actually reach its stated goals in a prototype, let alone a production version.

Aye. Believe promises, but expect to be disappointed...