Unexplained loss of power in C-152

Greetings, Your assistance will be appreciated. I've been "flying" the Cessna 152 in MSFS 2020. At different points in the flights I've made, the power markedly diminishes and the plane invariably crashes. Let me be more specific: Prior to the flights, I complete the checklist (fuel supply adequate, fuel on, mixture rich [airport is at sea level], throttle 1/4 open, engine start. Engine instruments are looking good. Everything is fine. Take off is uneventful. At that point things become unpredictable. Two days ago, I climbed straight out to 10,000 feet - adjusting the mixture as appropriate to the altitude. After that 20 minute climb, however, the engine died. No explosions. The controls had not been touched. There was no unexplained fuel loss. I tried a restart on the way down - which was unsuccessful. This evening, I took off from that same runway and made it up to only 1000 feet agl - and the same thing happened. I looked at the "Failure" control panel and everything was off. I'm perplexed. Thoughts? Thanks.

I flew the G36 and topped off the tank with the quick menu since my local airport doesn't have a fuel truck in the sim. Even though the tank was full when it got down to half the engine died of fuel starvation. I flew another day and went to the fuel box and topped it off and had no issues. This wasn't an issue until that last update., at least for me.

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

Sounds like the battery's drained because the alternator or generator isn't switched on.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

But I don't think that is likely right after take off.

The battery only lasts around 10 minutes so it depends on how long you're on the ground with everything switched on except the alternator.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have held an FAA Airman Certificate with Airframe and Powerplant certifications for 40 years. The C-172 has magnetos (left and right), and the fuel is gravity fed except when you have the boost pump turned on. A dead battery with the alternator turned off would affect only the electrical systems, and would not cause an engine failure. That is one of the primary reasons “most” reciprocating engines in aircraft use magnetos, although it isn’t uncommon to use a magneto for one plug and battery for the other plug. This is a safety design.

Just tried to fly the C-152 again but the same problem keeps reoccurring, i.e. engine quits after 500 ft. agl. Full fuel, Master is on, mixture is rich, no problem starting the engine, carb heat is operable but certainly not called for at ground level (1357 ft.) or at starting. Climbs adequately - for 500 ft - and then quits. Exasperating! Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Is this with the default C152 from cold and dark, and at which airport? Let's try and recreate what you're doing.

How about pitot tube heat on? 1375 feet runway altitude? What airport and what is the temperature at the time of your flight?

Opps, sorry, Tim! I see you asked what airport. My bad! :eek:

Suceava International Airport? Possibility?

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks Tim! It is n30 -a small airport in the Pocono Mountains of NE PA. I've made soooo many changes to the C-152 configuration. I'm sure its present configuration is significantly different from its out-of-the-box status. Would love to get back to the original - if only I knew what it is.

Jesse

I've made soooo many changes to the C-152 configuration. I'm sure its present configuration is significantly different from its out-of-the-box status.

Aahh! That would explain it - I'm also a flight dynamics tweaker so I understand completely. This has happened to me so many times that I always make a back-up before editing any files. Sorry I can't help with the default files, but there's a great C152 mod over at flightsim.to: https://flightsim.to/file/2246/msfs-c152-community

Thanks Tim! It is n30 -a small airport in the Pocono Mountains of NE PA. I've made soooo many changes to the C-152 configuration. I'm sure its present configuration is significantly different from its out-of-the-box status. Would love to get back to the original - if only I knew what it is.

Jesse

Why they say, never, ever, ever make changes without saving a Back Up! I learned my lesson from that years ago.