MSFS not loading - Assertion failed!

Well, here's an error message I have never seen before. It pops up while loading MSFS:

---------------------------

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Assertion failed!

Program: ....0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftGeospatialTiles.dll

File: D:\a\1\s\src\MapControlCore\MapCont...\FlatObj...rce.cpp

Line: 108

Expression: !"Failed to decode RVF schema."

For information on how your program can cause an assertion

failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press Retry to debug the application - JIT must be enabled)

Abort Retry Ignore

The sim worked fine last night. Tired in regular and Safe mode. My Community folder is empty. Any techies care to take a stab at this?

Clutch

Hi, this might help…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/c-assertion-error/359958/18

It mentions “visual studio” (no, I haven’t a clue either!) and one suggestion is to delete rolling cache.

Anyway. Take a look and hopefully it’ll help.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Great find Steve!

Yea, solutions appear to be turn off any active debugging software (which I don't), or delete rolling cache. The only way I know how to do that is from inside MSFS which I cannot get to because of the error. Unless there is a manual way to delete the file/folder?

Another option I read was use a restore point. The last one automatically created was when I installed world update 6. Thinking that could fubar my entire MSFS if I try that?

There's a good chance you'll find the rolling cache here...

C:\Users\email\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

the actual file is called ROLLINGCACHE.CCC

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Is the sim working though?

On the options page, you can set the size of the cache. The default setting is 8Gb (mine is also 8gb)

Assuming you’re back up and running, go into settings..click the Data tab and scroll down and you’ll see Rolling Cache Limit is set to 8Gb - you can change this if you want I’d probably just leave it for the time being.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

No Steve, the sim is not working. The error will appear during its loading stage so I cannot get to any options. I was able to delete the cache file. I watched I I re-started MSFS. It did create the file once again but it size is now 0kb, however still got the error message? Guess it may not be the rolling cache.

Alright, take a little break for lunch before I go back researching this. Mmmmmm.... :(

Sorry that didn’t work.

There are more posts on the official forums about it.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/solved-microsoft-visual-c-runtime-library-assertion-failed/279475

Maybe something here will fix it.

Regards

Steve

Guess it fixed itself?

After research I tried a system restore (of course it failed, ha... never use them anymore). So made sure I had latest Windows updates. Started up MSFS and once again the error. But I noticed of the three options, Abort, Retry and Ignore, I never tried Ignore. So I fiqure what the heck.

The startup continued and seemed to work fine. I deleted the rolling cache, restarted again and now no error message. Turned rolling cache back on to 8GB, restarted and again no error.

So what can I say...

Oh well, at least it’s working again :)

Regards

Steve