Upgrading Hardware

Jim Hall

I was considering purchasing new hardware for MS2020 but have found that all the bugs, lack of multiple monitors, no Cessna 172 steam gage plane, trim issues, and other negatives has made me decide to wait a year or two before trying MS2020 again. I had great advice for new hardware from the MS2020 Forum but now that I’m going back to FSX I’m wondering if purchasing new and more expensive hardware will result in a significantly better FSX experience. Any suggestions about what new hardware I should buy? Would a SAMSUNG 49-inch Odyssey G9 Gaming Monitor be problematic for FSX? I would add that to two smaller monitors for instruments and views. I currently have 58Mbps internet speed. Steam FSX. Thank you for your advice.
i7-7700k @ 4.2 Ghz, 16 GB DDR4/3000,2280 SSD M.2,Genome II Case,Nvidia GTX 1080 rear exhaust, Samsung 40" HDTV & Two 24" HP side monitors. Redbird Alloy yoke, pedals, and throttle. A single Saitek Instrument Panel and Cessna trim wheel. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers. Windows 10 64 bit. 58 measured Mbps.

That was precisely my plan as well and decided to upgrade for MSFS 2020. I erred on the side of caution and decided to upgrade before I purchased 2020 knowing that my new specs would be a definite plus improvement than what I had, for FSX. After reading the MS2020 forum and all the posts of malfunctions, etc., I decided to forego my purchase of the sim and stay with FSX.

The result has been a sim that runs nearly flawlessly. You have to be aware of the 4GB memory limit of FSX but that can be worked around. I do still get an occasional texture "square box" loading hiccup but it is very rare. Probably should have gone higher with my video card selection. You can see my specs below. Overall, FSX is running extremely well. I still have not closed the door on MS2020 but I will wait until it matures.

Im intrigued! What's the workaround for the 4gb memory limit??

I simply limit the number of active aircraft entry's in my Airplanes folder (currently just have 2 instead of the 36 I previously had) and the same with my Addon scenery folders, outside of basic folders which are needed to run the sim. I have a total of 241 Addon scenery folders of which 84 are inactive. This is enough for FSX that I have eliminated all OOM incidents. To accomplish this, I have a complete backup of FSX on another HD and I select what aircraft and airports I desire to fly, grab them from the backup HD and transfer them to the respective folders on my SSD where FSX is located. When the flight is completed, I delete/inactivate those entry's I just used and start over with a new aircraft and airports selection. It is a bit of work, but since implementing this process, no OOM's at all.

I simply limit the number of active aircraft entry's in my Airplanes folder (...) and the same with my Addon scenery folders...

I agree on the latter (I use SceneryConfigEditor for that purpose), but yr statement on the active aircraft entries is new to me.

For sure, it'll save you some time on the Aircraft Selection Screen popping up, but IMO it has no influence on OOM errors.

Once an aircraft is loaded into memory, the Airplanes folder isn't accessed anymore (I'm talking about user flyable aircraft, not AI Traffic).

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Not sure this is a workaround as such the 4GB limit is what it is? It certainly reduces load times for the sim, I have no addon scenery at all since an enforced reinstall and FSX loads in seconds now. Most OOMs are due to overcranking the sim settings i believe? I may be wrong tho!!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Not sure this is a workaround as such the 4GB limit is what it is? It certainly reduces load times for the sim, I have no addon scenery at all since an enforced reinstall and FSX loads in seconds now. Most OOMs are due to overcranking the sim settings i believe? I may be wrong tho!!

Photoreal scenery and other add-ons can significantly increase the risk of OOMs. PMDG has a good guide to follow.

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx