For Beroun (Peter)

HoratioWondersocks

Hello Peter

Some time ago I was seeking info on the use of the toga method of takeoffs. you kindly posted a reply showing how you achieved this yourself.

I noticed that the last post was by me saying I would give your method a try.

Well, it's taken a long time (months /years), but today I have finally got round to trying it and I am more than pleased with the results.

I have used both the PA Airbuses and the Posky 737s so far. The results have been much-improved takeoffs.

For many years I have struggled with this phase of flight, and never really felt satisfied with the results. The only plus side being a long-time sim flier I could rectify the situation if it got out of hand IE stalls etc by taking over manually until autopilot/throttle resumed correct functioning. I particularly had problems with the PA Airbus and getting its autothrottle to activate, it was very variable in operation sometimes it would work, but other times I would have to keep turning it(or SPD) on and off.

Anyway adopting your instructions for setting up an aircraft for take-off (it's still early days yet and I will probably still make some mistakes till I am completely au fait with your method) and executing that take-off has resulted in a much more controlled and satisfying result.

So belated thanks to you.

Cheers Andy

PS

I have also been posting a lot recently about the other end of a flight and my difficulties with landings. If I can improve those as well I will be very pleased.

Okay, Andy... Spill the Beans!

What is the Procedure you describe? Neophyte airline jockeys like me are always looking for Tips! :p

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Okay, Andy... Spill the Beans!

What is the Procedure you describe? Neophyte airline jockeys like me are always looking for Tips! :p

Hello Alan

Here's Peters guide for takeoffs.

It has much improved mine.

Andy,

assuming you tried the aircraft.cfg tweaks to no avail. Sorry for trivia but Auto-throttle engagement would not work without the IAS hold (in some cockpits SPD) button selected.

Just as a test, what I usually do, actually take-off with Auto-throttle:

1/ Select AP runway heading

2/ Select the AP altitude 10000, VSI select lets say 1500 FPM

3/ Select speed dial to 250kts

4/ At this point all AP functions disabled and lined up for take-off, engines running

5/ Autothrottle ON

6/ IAS hold (or SPD) on - aircraft starts to accelerate

7/ Rotate command - rotate to selected VSI

8/ AP engage, AP heading engage, AP altitude engage

9/ Gear up

10/ Flaps up

At this point the speed stays at 250kts and aircraft climbs to the selected altitude maintaining the selected VSI. Then I change tohe AP heeding and altitude as directed by ATC. Increase AP speed dial after 10000ft.

This always works for me. Occasionally after take-off the speed exceeds 250kts slightly but reduces to the mandated 2 .

I hope this helps Alan

Cheers Andy

Edited by HoratioWondersocks

Many Thanks for posting, Andy! This will definitely help out. I'll give it a try next time I take one of my windowed cigar tubes out for a spin! ;)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Hi Gents,

did not see this post until now and thanks for the compliment. I would just add something to these instructions - what I recently started using.

Installed in the cockpit (if not there already) trim gauge such as:gaugexx=hg_trim_dig2!Digital Trim w Reset.

When completing the point 8 - engaging AP altitude hold the aircraft sometimes pitches up or down before it catches the selected VSI. Note the trim reading at this point and that is the trim I preselect before take-off. When this trim is preselected the aircraft does not pitch when AP altitude hold is selected and nicely follows the selected VSI.

ALSO (not related) it is recommended - mainly those using keyboard to check two boxes in FSUIPC Miscellaneous section: "Center Elevator on AP Alt Change" and "discon elev trim axis for AP" This achieves a nice smooth transition when AP is disconnected - without aircraft pitching up or down. Mainly useful when disconnecting AP on approach hold. Cheers

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways