Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do We REALLY Have to Update?

Why do these updates have to be so big?

Quote Originally Posted by shb7 View Post
    Why do these updates have to be so big?
    Because updated photoscenery is large.

Quote Originally Posted by N069NT View Post
    Off topic but I gotta ask...is there still trash floating everywhere in those waters or did they clean up the canals finally? It was off-putting to say the least of a classic renaissance/romance city (I was there last in the late-'00s).

Yeah the Store, which is tied to your unique MS account. And yes a PC reboot to ensure fully disconnecting from the MS account and there's no vampire background process still telling MS that the account is still signed in. The Gaming Services utility as mentioned is a suspect culprit of that.

I wouldn't worry about that. There are literally millions of different hardware and software configurations out there among PC users. Some are bound to have crazy problems whereas others may experience zero (with the rest being somewhere in between in problem spectrum). If you have your sim installed in a non-default C Windows directory you have a higher chance of problems with updates, the Store, etc. For the record I have the boxed DVD version installed on a dedicated SSD with only W10 on it and nothing else outside of programs directly related to the sim and the hardware to run it. It was also installed on a brand new from scratch build.
    1. My wife and I saw zero trash floating in the canals

2. When I go to the Store on this PC, I am already logged in. I see no way to log out, nor can I find anything in Settings that would permit this. There must be a way, but I have no immediate need to employ your fix, since when I went to the store and looked at my account, it said MSFS had been modified and DL was available. I later opened MSFS and it cheerfully did the DL of SU6. Took almost 4 hours, but I was able to open up and fly -- in Venezia, actually.

3. Well, so far it's OK. The sim is where the install placed it: C/: user/app data, etc., etc. To do the updates, I rename my Community, move it to the desktop, and create a new, empty Community folder in MSFS. Then I move the add-ons back over time. We shall see.

A year after release, they still haven't fixed the Philippine coastlines. What idiots!

Quote Originally Posted by shb7 View Post
    A year after release, they still haven't fixed the Philippine coastlines. What idiots!
    Well, I wouldn't call them idiots However, the bridges still look BAD!!!

We all have our items that we would love to see fixed
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call them idiots However, the bridges still look BAD!!!

We all have our items that we would love to see fixed
    Which is true of all flightsims, including those that have been around for years and have problems that have never been fixed. We all want perfection, and I have my own list of issues in MSFS that need correction. But in a sim that absolutely blows me away, I manage to keep those in proper perspective.

Thank you ASOBO. MSFS was going great for me. While before I was having the occasional CTD, right before SU6 I wasn't even experiencing those. My MSFS would be running all day. Back from work or chores and it was still singing along! Now after the SU6 that, in total took about 3 days to download and finally install, I am getting CTD about 3/4ths of the time I fly! And with some planes, I can only manage about 5 minutes of use! Get your SH!T together and finally fix this half baked sim! Please no more mandatory updates! Please!
    Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz, 16GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Windows 10

I think something is wrong with your installation, maybe it got corrupted? I only took about 20 minutes to download and install SU6. If I turn on photogrammetry, I do have severe stutters on the ground, but all is fine after about 25 feet off the ground. I certainly am not getting CTDs.
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

There is a simple reason why updates have to be mandatory. Each update builds on previous updates, and therefore each new one has to be based on the presumption that all previous updates have been installed; otherwise there would be chaos. Imagine SU6 being installed on a system in which SU5 had not been installed -- no way that could work, clearly.

For better or worse, MSFS is work-in-progress that involves constant updates, and was described as such before it was released in September 2020. Whether this whole process could be done better so as to avoid the frustration it causes some users, I don't know. I certainly sympathize. But the mandatory aspect is inescapable.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    There is a simple reason why updates have to be mandatory. Each update builds on previous updates, and therefore each new one has to be based on the presumption that all previous updates have been installed; otherwise there would be chaos. Imagine SU6 being installed on a system in which SU5 had not been installed -- no way that could work, clearly.
    That's not a very convincing reason as there have been many applications and operating systems that support updating from multiple prior versions without any sort of chaos. It is a very well understood process in the developer world at this point.

A far more likely reason would have to do with keeping the networking code in sync between each user and the servers as differences in this area would get far more complex with multiple versions. There could also be changes to the photogrammetry data on the server side that require an update to the client that would break previous versions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast