Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do We REALLY Have to Update?

Question Do We REALLY Have to Update?

I've been away from home and computer for a week, and returned late last night. I now see on this forum numerous serious complaints about an update ("SU6") rendering the sim unusable.

This happened to me a few months ago, but was magically cured by a hotfix.

MSFS was working GREAT before I left town, but I fear that it will, once again, be totally screwed up by the latest update.

Can I opt out of the update? Any advice before I boot it up later today?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    I've been away from home and computer for a week, and returned late last night. I now see on this forum numerous serious complaints about an update ("SU6") rendering the sim unusable.

This happened to me a few months ago, but was magically cured by a hotfix.

MSFS was working GREAT before I left town, but I fear that it will, once again, be totally screwed up by the latest update.

Can I opt out of the update? Any advice before I boot it up later today?
    Don't think you can. Once it sees an update is available, it will try to grab it faster then, well you get the idea
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

This question gets asked each time but the answer is the same.. the updates are mandatory. It’s a (mainly) online based sim, so everyone needs to be running the same version.
    Of you may not have any problems. I didn’t and it’s running very well.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX3090 Aorus Extreme 24GB
    3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs.
    Reverb G2 VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit
    Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Unhappy

OK, so I can't opt out. But . . . I may not have problems?

Remind me not to uninstall P3D just yet.

An additional source of worry is the confluence of this update with the emergence of Win 11, and the necessary efforts to mesh SU6 with Win 11, as well as Win 10. The chances of an error-free update, I'd say, are vanishingly small.

I would also like to add that a good portion of the complaints people have with any update is that it does not show up in the store and won't download. Usually a simple log out of your MS account and reboot and re-sign in to the account gets things going. There are a couple of more problems with the MS Store not showing an update and requires a little more in-depth finagling. One involves the Gaming Services program within the Store. I had to deal with that on both SU5 and SU6 and here was what worked for me and others both times:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...msfs/406577/32

Just if you or anyone else coming across this thread has the same issue I did and many others. I will say that there is a known bug in the update now with at least one aircraft I've flown, and that's the Longitude with warning chimes that won't shut up during startup and ITT temp warnings that go off when engines are well under ITT redline.
    i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS + MSFS), AOC 32" 1440p, Logitech Flight Yoke + throttle quadrant + CH Pro Pedals

Quote Originally Posted by N069NT View Post
    I would also like to add that a good portion of the complaints people have with any update is that it does not show up in the store and won't download. Usually a simple log out of your MS account and reboot and re-sign in to the account gets things going.
    Thank you. I haven't had this problem yet, because I'm happy -- just back after a week in Venice and don't want to wreck my mood by trying to update MSFS.

But what is "a simple log out of your MS account" Do you mean in the Store? And do you mean reboot the PC?

BTW, I did read the link to the forum you included. One user, clearly more computer adept than I, says he spent 12 hours on a tech support call with MS trying to DL an update. Daunting. Discouraging. This is not right.

I haven't had this problem yet, because I'm happy -- just back after a week in Venice
    Off topic but I gotta ask...is there still trash floating everywhere in those waters or did they clean up the canals finally? It was off-putting to say the least of a classic renaissance/romance city (I was there last in the late-'00s).

But what is "a simple log out of your MS account" Do you mean in the Store? And do you mean reboot the PC?
    Yeah the Store, which is tied to your unique MS account. And yes a PC reboot to ensure fully disconnecting from the MS account and there's no vampire background process still telling MS that the account is still signed in. The Gaming Services utility as mentioned is a suspect culprit of that.

BTW, I did read the link to the forum you included. One user, clearly more computer adept than I, says he spent 12 hours on a tech support call with MS trying to DL an update. Daunting. Discouraging. This is not right.
    I wouldn't worry about that. There are literally millions of different hardware and software configurations out there among PC users. Some are bound to have crazy problems whereas others may experience zero (with the rest being somewhere in between in problem spectrum). If you have your sim installed in a non-default C Windows directory you have a higher chance of problems with updates, the Store, etc. For the record I have the boxed DVD version installed on a dedicated SSD with only W10 on it and nothing else outside of programs directly related to the sim and the hardware to run it. It was also installed on a brand new from scratch build.
    Last edited by N069NT; 10-26-2021 at 09:20 PM.
    i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS + MSFS), AOC 32" 1440p, Logitech Flight Yoke + throttle quadrant + CH Pro Pedals

There is no escape. It has to be done.

I recall reading on the official forums a post that this one guy made that involved disabling internet before launching MSFS, letting it do the checks and then reconnecting the net only when you're in the airplane.

He said it works but I have not confirmed and neither have others. I'm sure MS will find a way around this too. I might however try it just for a laugh before the next update.
    i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz // GTX 1060 6GB // 12GB DDR3 // Win10Pro V21H1

Ahh... ASSOBO.... You have no idea at all.. Try to fix 1 thing and stuff up 10 more. MSFS is nothing but eye candy. The flight models are pathetic. This mob could not hold a piss up in a brewery. I got absolutely fed up with the constant huge updates, things getting stuffed up, having to search on forums for fixes..Thank god I got a refund from this useless garbage. And I am not the only one saying the same thing. Good riddance... AND GOODBYE...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gt401964 View Post
    Ahh... ASSOBO.... You have no idea at all.. Try to fix 1 thing and stuff up 10 more. MSFS is nothing but eye candy. The flight models are pathetic. This mob could not hold a piss up in a brewery. I got absolutely fed up with the constant huge updates, things getting stuffed up, having to search on forums for fixes..Thank god I got a refund from this useless garbage. And I am not the only one saying the same thing. Good riddance... AND GOODBYE...
    Microsoft Update Simulator.
    Dell XPS X8300 Intel core i7-2600(3.4 GHZ,8 MB Cache) 8 GB memory 1.5 TB HDD 2 GB Nvidia 1050 ti graphics card Windows 7

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast