MSFS 2020 Incredibly Slow Load/Menus/etc. after Latest Update

I had been among the fortunate that through all updates before the latest, MSFS 2020 continued to function. However, with the latest update, MSFS 2020 takes many minutes to load, and once it does, the menus are so unresponsive that they are nearly non-functional. For example, the hangar animation seems to load at less than 1 FPS, and when I try to move the mouse from menu to menu, the menus do not respond, or are incredibly late to respond, to the extent that they do not work. Basically, I cannot move from the menus to the world to the cockpit -- or anything else, for that matter. To exit the program, I need to force quit using Windows Task Manager.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but the issue persists after reinstallation. I used the add/remove software function in Windows, but I am not sure if it provides a "clean" uninstallation. If there is a better/more complete way to uninstall all files, please let me know.

The program is basically unusable.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so, do you have a solution? I understand and share the disappointment many have with the update process, which rendered a perfectly functioning program to this.

It is not the computer. Win 10, i9 10900K, 64 MB Ram, 2 TB HD, RTX 3090 FE, wireless/FiOS internet connection.

I have seen with other issues, folks suggest a clean install of Windows. I had to do that when I originally purchased MSFS 2020, where all packages would not download. I suppose I will do that as a last resort here, but I am not crazy about having to "nuke" an otherwise perfectly functioning computer just to make this software work again. It seems like an unreasonable solution to a problem that everyone has at some point or another.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Bowman Creek

Exact same thing started with me after the most recent update. I have very similar specs to you above. Menus freeze and will not advance to next screen and if you do by chance get to a flight, the sim is virtually unplayable. It has been a few days of restarting, trying random fixes people put on the web but to no avail. In just 2 months with the Sim i have had to reinstall it 3x at 120 gb a pop. I cannot believe how buggy it has been.

I am experiencing the same problem. I am just getting back to using fs after several months. It worked fine before (except I was fighting with trim settings). Now everything is VERY slow, to the point of being unusable, as you describe.

I only have the slow loading. It seems like it is checking on something, because once the Aesbco (or however you spell it, lol) comes on, it's only a couple of minutes after that point, but getting there takes a while. I am going to time it and post the results.
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I'm somewhat of the same problems myself. Frustrated. My sim will load at normal speed, have run a couple of flights, but when I save the flight to continue later, it re-loads in a safe mode. None of the prior programed flight loads. It reloads in a safe mode were the plane will fly, but in the outside view, none of the gauges show, alt, fuel qty, heading. throttle indicator. Also when reloaded from saved flt, the prior programed flt plan does not reload. Also have noticed that some sceneryc items do not load right, roads, vehicles, some buildings.

I'm operating on an Asus laptop, with an AMD Ryzen 4000 series processor, and a Nvidia Geforce RTX graphics card, and 32gig ram. Thought we had all the problems solved from the Hide and seek upload a month ago, and thought maybe they had seen the light at Asobo. While installing the update. there was also a scenery update, and just before all was finished, and the program disconnected. Re-opened the program, and now the Marketplace icon is dark, and no longer functions. Had a notice that my data limit had been reached, but have not had that problem before. Checked settings, and everything was the same.

Just throwing my two cents worth in here. Have no idea how to fix this, and sincerely hope the youngsters at Asobo, Xbox, and Microsoft will grow up and check their work diligently prior to releaseing thier updates.

Ok, Rant over. Still need help tho.

Edited by trainmastr2020

So it sounds like it's not my machine or settings. I suppose my best course of action is to wait for the November update, then try a clean install. If not that, then the "nuclear" option is next. Between now and then I can copy anything I don't want to lose to an external HD. Edited by Bowman Creek

I have some of the same issue, in that while on the ground in taxi or take off or landing, the menus become unresponsive. But once about 50 feet off the ground everything works fine. Again, this is a new phenomena after the update.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Did some time testing-

From start up to the appearance of the Xbox screen 7 mins 30 seconds

Xbox Screen to our regular screen where we can start planning our flights etc. 12 mins 30 seconds

Takes twice as long now to load MSFS.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Post-SU6, I have a loading time of 3 minutes 15 seconds from start to the appearance of the main menu, with 159 files in the Community folder (actually links, via Addon Manager). This is comparable to what I was seeing before SU6. My graphics and performance are unchanged as far as I can tell, with 50-60 FPS most places.

Since some others are seeing a major increase in loading times, this looks like another case of variance due to local factors. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Alienware Aurora R11, 32 GB ram, Intel i7-10700F, GeForce RTX 2080 Super, Ultra graphics settings

Edited by cobalt

I have some of the same issue, in that while on the ground in taxi or take off or landing, the menus become unresponsive. But once about 50 feet off the ground everything works fine. Again, this is a new phenomena after the update.

Is your photogrammetry on? Since SU5, I find that with it on, I get stutters on or near the ground. For that reason I keep it turned off until this problem gets fixed. Others have reported the same issue.

Edited by cobalt

I found this happening twice since the update. I found if I just shut down flightsim (while loading) using task manager and restarting, it loaded as it usually would. Has not happened since I did this twice. Not saying it will work for everyone or that it may not have other side effects (I have experienced none) but it does point to some technological mystery I can't unravel.

Since then it has loaded as it would every other time (about 90 sec.)

Edited by GreasedLanding

Alienware Aurora R7 * i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz * 32 gb RAM * NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 gb * Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD * Logitech EXTREME 3D PRO * Dual Monitors (1 X 2k + 1 X HD) *Windows 11*. MSFS Premium Edition

I found this happening twice since the update. I found if I just shut down flightsim (while loading) using task manager and restarting, it loaded as it usually would. Has not happened since I did this twice. Not saying it will work for everyone or that it may not have other side effects (I have experienced none) but it does point to some technological mystery I can't unravel.

Since then it has loaded as it would every other time (about 90 sec.)

I kind of did that, however I got the MSFS was not shut down properly, would you like to start it in Safe Mode or Regular (ok, parapashing, lol, but you get the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

All the credit in the world to Reddit user ShotgunFarmer1 for finding a solution I never would have considered. This solved it for me.

As he and user CussdomTidder wrote, there must be some conflict between MSFS's display drivers/usage and Citrix Workspace's display drivers/usage. Closing Citrix does not solve it. Instead, it must be uninstalled (presumably removing hidden, but always running, components).

Bummer, in that I will need to uninstall Citrix before every MSFS session and reinstall after (removing it entirely is not an option because I remote into my office at least nightly). But, better than reinstalling MSFS every time! And no nuking of my machine!

Edited by Bowman Creek

• 6 months later...

Hi had really slow loading times about 2 or 3 days after the initial installation. MSFS 2020 would take around 20 mins to load into the main menu.

The cause was x2 fold.

1. It would get stuck at the checking for update screen

2. the main loading screen would sit at around 99% for around 15+ mins

For the first issue I ended up working out that one of my other machines on the network was thrashing the internet connection (using all 100Mbps). So I throttled windows update on that machine. The checking for update screen no longer takes ages.

For the second issue I found that if I unplug my hotas before starting MSFS then let it load onto the main menu, then plug it in again, the load times would go from 15-20mins to around 2.5mins.

hope this helps someone out there.

It has always taken me 6-7 minutes to load MSFS, and the recent update does not seem to have affected this.

BUT, might I shorten this time by uninstalling a bunch of installed content (e.g., ugly liveries, flight challenges) that I never use?

It has always taken me 6-7 minutes to load MSFS, and the recent update does not seem to have affected this.

BUT, might I shorten this time by uninstalling a bunch of installed content (e.g., ugly liveries, flight challenges) that I never use?

Here are my times for loading:

To X-Box screen: 33 seconds

To Top Gun screen: 58 seconds

To main menu window: 2:48

This is my first time actually timing the load. It does not appear to be any different after the last update on my machine anyway. I usually start the sim then go grab a cup of coffee and it is usually ready when I get back.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Here are my times for loading:

To X-Box screen: 33 seconds

To Top Gun screen: 58 seconds

To main menu window: 2:48

This is my first time actually timing the load. It does not appear to be any different after the last update on my machine anyway. I usually start the sim then go grab a cup of coffee and it is usually ready when I get back.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.