Hi, Anyone having any issues recently with mfs just closing? 3 days ago i built a new computer and reinstalled fs on the new hard drive the down load went good and everything working fine,,, But yesterday i logged on and it was fine i set up a flight and right after i hit the fly button she just closes. I keep reopening it and it dont even say mfs shut down unexpectedly it loads perfect and the same issue everytime i hit the fly button to start the flight and she closes any ideas?

thanks

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

Basically you’re getting CTDs (crash to desktop) it could be hundred of things and there are hundreds of posts about it on this and other forums.

If you’ve just built your pc then it’ll be hardware or possibly drivers. Firstly, can you list all your computer specs? (maybe list them as your forum signature)

I presume you haven’t installed a load of addons yet?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Like Steve pointed out, I would look to add on's as well. Usually they work, but occasionally one will sneak in and cause a CTD
Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

do u guys mean the add on's from flight sim? cause u might be on to something i did download the add on's i all ready had from before so like i just went to the content manager and reinstalled all that i had and i only did one flight after that and it went fine then the next time i booted up the computer and ran fs it started to crash.

Also i did install like 5 programs from the asus cd if that did anything?

i just built a asus dark hero, amd 5950, graphics card i had all ready evga 2080 ti, 1tb the new samsung mme.2 or something i forget it lol and ram i had crossair 3400 64mb ram

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

do u guys mean the add on's from flight sim? cause u might be on to something i did download the add on's i all ready had from before so like i just went to the content manager and reinstalled all that i had and i only did one flight after that and it went fine then the next time i booted up the computer and ran fs it started to crash.

Also i did install like 5 programs from the asus cd if that did anything?

i just built a asus dark hero, amd 5950, graphics card i had all ready evga 2080 ti, 1tb the new samsung mme.2 or something i forget it lol and ram i had crossair 3400 64mb ram

Yes, any add on's that you put into your Community folder. I would take them ALL out, see if MSFS has a CTD. If not, then add in ONE add in, try a flight, see the result(s). Keep doing that until you get to an actual CTD, then take the last add on out, see if you get a CTD. That way you can narrow down the offending add on :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

A CTD is a “crash to desktop” which is what is happening.

Addons that you install via the content manager should be fine. It’s the ones that you install separately or place in the community folder. Mind you.. many if not most of these will be ok. It’s a case of narrowing it down and finding the one(s) causing the problem.

However, my money is on your hardware. Ram maybe? I’m guessing you haven’t overclocked anything. Maybe you need the latest drivers?

What speed are you running the ram at? If XMP is on, try disabling it so the Ram runs at default speed. Then launch MSFS & see if it crashes.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

sorry still dont understand when u say the ones i added separtely? i don't think i added anything outside of ones from the flight sim marketplace.

the ram is the same ram i had been using before i switched to this mother board, but funny u said overclock i just did overclock yesterday and u right the crashes started after i overclocked so i did think about it last night so i went to the bios and hit reset to defaults and saved it but i did overclock it through asus software and i did hit some ram things i dont remember what specs do u need?

oh wow wait i just remembered there is under asus suite 3 a function it says turbo app and asks u what app u want to add and i added mfs!! i am going to uninstall all the asus programs

We may be onto something then. Flight Sim doesn’t like overclocked hardware.

I mentioned to a colleague the other day that I once had problems with the sim crashing because I had tried running my Ram at the advertised speed of 3600. He persuaded me to have another go. So.. a couple of days ago I upped my ram speed again and I actually got more fps as a result… but then it crashed! I had several problems from then on and had to reset the cmos in the bios in the end.

I’m running my ram at a lower speed now and the sim is working perfectly again.

If you used thr ASUS program to overclock, then I’d put everything back to default settings and see how the sim doees.

By the way, if you have only installed addons via the content manager then they won’t be the problem. It’s some of the free addons from various websites that you manually place in the community folder that you have to watch, but you haven’t got any so don’t worry.

Regards

Steve

ok so uninstalling the asus software did not work!!

can i delete mfs and reinstall it?

ok so uninstalling the asus software did not work!!

can i delete mfs and reinstall it?

You can uninstall and reinstall it (I’ve done this more times than I can remember LOL) but I wouldn’t do it just yet as it’ll take a while, which I’m sure you already know.

First thing, I’d go into the bios and check your Ram speed. If XMP is on, then turn it off. Also see if DRAM voltage is set to auto. If not, then that could be the problem.

Regards

Steve

i could not find xmp there is so much dam stuff in the bios omg!!! do people really know what all that is!!!

i did come across one thing it said dram was set to extreme and i put it at optimal rebooted and just restarted fs!!!!!!

STEVE HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WORKED I AM FLYING AGAIN!!!!! OMG!!! I LOVE U!!! lol are u in ny i owe u a dinner cause i am the type that trying things never works i always wind up doing the extreme like uninstall fs and reinstall i always get the hard way !!!! today my lucky day!!!

man o man again thanks steve big time!! and all that helped!!!

so again what ever i did must of put dram into extreme and just setting it back to optimal solved it!!!

what a great day to fly!!!

The wifey just walked by the man cave and said y do u got a 15 year old ear to ear smile on!!! lmao i said oh hunny u got no idea !!! she goes are u flying again, i said yes but this is a special flight !!! this one is called FLIGHT OF THE SAVED AGGRAVITED SOLE!!!

Great!!! I’m so glad we solved it :) :) :)

I know from my own experience that Ram speeds etc can cause so much trouble. Welcome back to the virtual skies!

Regards

Steve

hey steve how come i cant find my fs folder on my c drive its the only drive i got ?? just would like to know in case..

On mine, it’s simply D:\\MSFS but yours will probably be something like…

C:\Users\*your pc*\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Regards

Steve

You might have to turn on show hidden files to see it.

Look under folder options…view…. then check “show hidden files, folders and drives”

Regards

Steve

Steam will store games and apps in its own file structure if you leave it to default. I am on the wrong PC to tell you the string it uses but it is several levels deep.

However the short answer is it is better to not mess with it. There is very little you can change in there that would not have a bad effect.