Windows 11 and MSFS2020

I see the references to Windows 11 after the update but my online searches indicate the wisdom of not rushing into Windows 11 and besides which my computer does not have the TPM 2.0 needed. Anyone noticed any difference at all after a Windows 11 installation in reference to MSFS2020.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

I see the references to Windows 11 after the update but my online searches indicate the wisdom of not rushing into Windows 11 and besides which my computer does not have the TPM 2.0 needed. Anyone noticed any difference at all after a Windows 11 installation in reference to MSFS2020.

Please read the release notes, it's in paragraph one:

RELEASE NOTES 1.20.6.0

To celebrate the launch of Windows 11, Microsoft Flight Simulator is lighting up some of the world’s most famous points of interest in Windows 11 colors! There is also a free livery for the EXTRA 330LT.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

and besides which my computer does not have the TPM 2.0 needed.

That might not be correct. If you go into the bios you may find a setting for TPM 2.0 which simply needs enabling. On some motherboards the setting is PTT (as it is with mine)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yes I did see the comments about lighting up stuff in special colours, but that may not be reason enough to jump into a new Windows version, "bin there before and paid the price"

Also Steve yes I actually went through the BIOS in detail looking for the enabling switch in software and it tells me that there is no such thing on my quite new motherboard. But I am holding off and interested in all comments!! J

Please read the release notes, it's in paragraph one:

RELEASE NOTES 1.20.6.0

To celebrate the launch of Windows 11, Microsoft Flight Simulator is lighting up some of the world’s most famous points of interest in Windows 11 colors! There is also a free livery for the EXTRA 330LT.

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

If you have an existing system and running Windows 10 without problems there is no reason to rush to upgrade to Win 11. My advice is the same as it has been for years. Let others help to work out the bugs and wait for Microsoft to deal with it. They will maintain compatibility for Years because of the huge customer base. I would give it 6 months to a year for that to happen. And if there is any question of hardware issues then it pays to be even more cautious.

How to Enable TPM 2.0 in BIOS

If you need to enable Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 in your bios as a windows 11 requirement, please take the following steps:

1. Restart your PC

2. Hold down the F2 key (FN F2 if no dedicated function keys) during boot up to get to the BIOS menu.

3. Use the arrow keys to navigate to the Security tab

4. Find a listing for either TPM, Intel Platform Trust Technology (IPTT), or AMD CPU fTPM

5. Toggle to “Enabled”

6. Finally, hit F10 to Save and Exit BIOS

Note: After following all of the instructions above, TPM 2.0 should be enabled in your system.

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Yes I did see the comments about lighting up stuff in special colours, but that may not be reason enough to jump into a new Windows version, "bin there before and paid the price"

Also Steve yes I actually went through the BIOS in detail looking for the enabling switch in software and it tells me that there is no such thing on my quite new motherboard. But I am holding off and interested in all comments!! J

You mean you need to run MSFS under Windows 11 in order to see the new "special lighting" and/or the new Extra 330 livery?

And anyhow, would someone please kindly post a pic of those two effects?

Thanks in advance, best regards.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

No worries John.

I have installed Windows 11, but then I always rush into these things LOL

Looking on MSI’s website though, it looks like your X570 is supported…

https://www.msi.com/blog/How-to-Enable-TPM-on-MSI-Motherboards-Featuring-TPM-2-0

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I have 5600X and B550 MB. From what I see on Gigabyte info and in MB Manual there's only a TPM header on the MB but not an actual physical TPM module soldered on the MB itself. TPM modules are sold seperately on Amazon, Gigabyte and AliX. I hope I'm wrong here and setting the BIOS TPM switch will be sufficient..??

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

I have 5600X and B550 MB. From what I see on Gigabyte info and in MB Manual there's only a TPM header on the MB but not an actual physical TPM module soldered on the MB itself. TPM modules are sold seperately on Amazon, Gigabyte and AliX. I hope I'm wrong here and setting the BIOS TPM switch will be sufficient..??

From what I have read, I think setting it up though your BIOS will be enough. Hope so, that's how I have mine set for when I take the Win 11 plunge.

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

A few months back, I tried the Win 11 compatibility tool.. and it said I needed TPM 2.0

I checked out my motherboard and there was a socket, on which to place such a module. I found a reasonably priced one online, although it was currently out of stock. I figured I’d better place an order for one anyway as availability (& price) would get worse in thr coming months.

A bit of browsing the Internet forums later.. and after checking my bios several times I discovered that I didn’t need a module after all. It was simply a case of enabling PTT.

I phoned the company up from which I’d placed my order and cancelled it.

I have recently ( about an hour ago!) seen a bios update on gigabyte’s website, which turns on TPM/PTT by default. I haven’t download it though because “if it’s not broken…”

Regards

Steve

Even if I don't plan to move to Windows 11 soon (as explained in another thread), just thought I'd share another reason why your system may not be eligible for an automatic upgrade, if you're using Windows 10 Home: that's the main user account.

Windows 11 Home (which would be your target OS) requires a Microsoft account as the main user account (Administrator), so it won't work with a local user account.

Consequently, if a local user account is what you have as Administrator in Windows 10 Home (like me), your system doesn't meet the requirements for the upgrade, aside from the TPM or any other hardware question.

In case it helps.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Hi Dan, I don’t think that would be an issue. Wouldn’t you just create a Microsoft account if needs be? I had Windows 10 Home before upgrading. Well..when I say upgrade, I wiped the drive installed Win 11 as a clean install. Again I went for the home version, but it gave me a few options.. home…pro…etc (& all free!)

Now I did already have an MS account though, as I’m guessing most people do. Presumably anyone using the non-steam version of MSFS will have an account?

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Hi Dan, I don’t think that would be an issue. Wouldn’t you just create a Microsoft account if needs be? I had Windows 10 Home before upgrading. Well..when I say upgrade, I wiped the drive installed Win 11 as a clean install. Again I went for the home version, but it gave me a few options.. home…pro…etc (& all free!)

Now I did already have an MS account though, as I’m guessing most people do. Presumably anyone using the non-steam version of MSFS will have an account?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve, of course you can always create a Microsoft account or change your Administrator to use an existing one :D ...but my point is that until you do, your system won't upgrade automatically.

I much prefer having a local user as my PC Administrator. That avoids a variety of problems, as learnt in my years of corporate computing assistant. Consequently my system won't upgrade automatically, which is exactly what I want :cool:

I ran the compatibility test for Win11 on the MS site, and was surprised to get the message that my CPU (I7 7700K) was not supported by Win11.

I’m surprised by that too.. and so are many others. There are loads of posts and articles around the internet about it… and possible workarounds… like this one..

https://senpai.club/install-windows-11-on-non-listed-cpu-i7-7700k-and-asus-z270-a/

Regards

Steve

Microsoft did restrict it to the last couple generations of CPUs, but people have got it installed on older, unsupported, models. However, Microsoft has said they could restrict future security and systems updates to systems with the officially supported CPUs.