Another is it Kosher question!

HoratioWondersocks

Hello All

Is it possible/legal etc to make copies of the four original Fs9 installation discs ?

Are they write protected?

I would just like to have that extra bit of security in the event of a Chinese invasion of Taiwan ,and resultant world conflagration that I could still jump in the Cessna for a slow meandering flight along the course of the river Thames.

Dark humour aside , it would just be nice to have an extra set of installation discs.

If this is definitely a legal no no then I shall of course respect Flightsim coms rules on such matters regarding any possible advice that may be offered.

Cheers to All

Andy.

If this is definitely a legal no no then I shall of course respect Flightsim coms rules on such matters regarding any possible advice that may be offered.

Seriously, does anyone believe that someone could still make copyright claims after eighteen years? And this for a product that is now absolutely outdated and isn't supported anymore? Furthermore it would remain a strictly private matter.

Bernard

Knowing M$ back in 2003, yeah. They are probably write protected. ;)

Try looking for FS9 on Amazon and EBay, I got my disks a couple of years ago and they even came in the metal box set. :cool:

Another option is to clone your entire drive onto a new HD or SSD and just use it as bulk storage or swap the drive out in case the Zombies attack the old one. I've had no problems swapping drives and its a pretty cheap form of back-up.

In the end, you have to ask yourself if saving 5 bucks is worth $200 of your time and effort. ;)

Making disk copies for your own use only is entirely legal. However, as Bob says, making a disk image of your entire installation saves a lot of time and hassle - I know because I've been doing it for years. I use the free version of Macrium Reflect which is 100% free and 100% reliable. You can search your disk image for individual files if need be, and the disk image is mounted as a virtual drive which is very handy.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

FWIW … I seem to remember that Disk 4, the one that needed to be in the drive for "security purposes", can't be duplicated, at least not using conventional methods.

Probably best to just source a second original set of discs, ensure they work, then put them in a "safe place".

Well, it should go without saying but before you clone your drive, make sure its working to your standards. There's no point to cloning software that keeps crashing. The point being, do your back-ups before you need it.

Likewise, when you clone your drive can depend on several things. For instance, you like your current install of FS but its getting cramped (I'm pretty sure most of us have long-term installs that resemble virtual junk yards full of old planes, gauges, scenery, and AI) so you're thinking of starting over with a clean install. Now would be a good time to clone the entire drive. :pilot: You already know it all works, you're just getting tired of how you set it up.

Down the road, you may want some of those old files or you'll forget how something (mostly scenery) was set up or else there will be a download you just can't find anymore. With a cloned drive of old stuff, that's no longer an issue. :cool:

On the other hand, you could clone your drive, delete FS and then re-install on the new drive. While you're at it, you could also dump most of the stuff in your downloads folder so it doesn't take 10 minutes to find a file you just downloaded. :rolleyes: Trust me, we've all been there. :cool:

Your CPU really doesn't care if its talking to the old drive or the new clone, so take advantage of that.

My new i5 8GB RAM laptop (now 2 years old) did not have a cd/dvd drive, so I had to make a 'plan' as it were. Googled FS2004 ISO..

In any case, I have a complete FS2004 installable, as well as a clean FS2004 install (with the My Documents folder), patched with the 9.1 update & patch on a portable drive, that allows me to do very easy installs (& multiple installs), either by running the ISO or doing a copy & paste.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

FWIW … I seem to remember that Disk 4, the one that needed to be in the drive for "security purposes", can't be duplicated, at least not using conventional methods.

Probably best to just source a second original set of discs, ensure they work, then put them in a "safe place".

BITD I bought another copy of FS9 from, of all places, Craigslist! Five bucks well spent.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

First I do a clean, all discs, install (outside C:/Program...... etc) then I copy the entire contents of that folder to a new folder which I name: FS9-CleanInstall. Then I uninstall the 'first' FS9 through : 'settings' - 'software programfiles' etc etc now the regsiter is clean. Then I install again and start building, Mesh, Landclass, Scenery, Utils, Weather finally Planes. I have a 20 pages 'private de- and reinstall FS9 manual' I use as a checklist, simply follow the steps and check when completed. I have FS9 + about 25 addons (including all Ult terr.) I do a complete reinstall in 4 houres. The Install/uninstall routine through 'Settings/Software/Programs is vital for an up to date registry. Edited by piet06273

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Hello All

I am sorry I have not replied to you all for your valuable input.

I have only just opened up the thread and was very surprised to see how many of you had replied.

My original query about making a new copy of the original fs9 installation discs was actually born out of needing something to do on a bit of a dreary morning. However, reading through your replies and particularly those on the topic of cloning my entire windows installation as a safety backup has me interested in trying it for myself.

I actually find all this kind of stuff pretty interesting as I like to try and increase my knowledge of

PC operations generally.

Back to disc copying using (is it called disc burning software? )

I experimented on one of my must-have addons for FS9 that is called FS Global (I have owned this for many years now)I had become aware that the discs were looking a bit scratched and worn.

I was worried that they may have eventually become unusable so downloaded some free cd burning software and just jumped in (as I often do without really taking the time to read the correct instructions for trouble-free operations though. :)

Anyway, this time I was lucky and got away with my instruction manual avoidance method as I successfully managed (and tested ) my newly copied discs...and blimey! they worked. :)(the whole operation took quite a while to perform though) but as I mentioned before it was just another small step in increasing my knowledge of PC operations. I think as simmers it is important to really get a handle on backing up, copying, paste-Ing, saving, transferring to other hard discs, etc to preserve our precious installations

Anyways I await another rainy day to start checking out disc cloning next.

Thanks to you all for replying to my post.

Andy