Can't steer Cessna 172 on the ground

I've been flying only the default Cessna 172. I have lost the ability to ground steer the plane at all - for taxi to runway, takeoff roll, or after landing. On takeoff, the C172 steers itself quite a bit to the left and off of the runway. (I can sometimes get the plane off the grass and into the air anyway.)

I believe this started with one of the MSFS updates a few months ago.

My flight controls are a Honeycomb Alpha yoke and Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. I have no pedals.

I looked carefully in the yoke and throttle settings and could find no duplicate assignments. Ailerons are assigned to the yoke left and right steering wheel axis, and work to turn in the air. Rudder is unassigned at the moment. Is that the problem?

I seem to recall that some time ago I tried another plane type and had the same issue.

Edited by ed1

I've been flying only the default Cessna 172. I have lost the ability to ground steer the plane at all - for taxi to runway, takeoff roll, or after landing. On takeoff, the C172 steers itself quite a bit to the left and off of the runway. (I can sometimes get the plane off the grass and into the air anyway.)

I believe this started with one of the MSFS updates a few months ago.

My flight controls are a Honeycomb Alpha yoke and Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant. I have no pedals.

I looked carefully in the yoke and throttle settings and could find no duplicate assignments. Ailerons are assigned to the yoke left and right steering wheel axis, and work to turn in the air. Rudder is unassigned at the moment. Is that the problem?

I seem to recall that some time ago I tried another plane type and had the same issue.

I don't have that Yoke, but the Rudder Axis on my Thrustmaster T.16000 is set to the twist of the stick. If the rudder axis isn't set to anything then I'd think you can't steer on the ground. Try to set it.

I don't have that Yoke, but the Rudder Axis on my Thrustmaster T.16000 is set to the twist of the stick. If the rudder axis isn't set to anything then I'd think you can't steer on the ground. Try to set it.

Thanks. Well, I found that the Autorudder setting was somehow turned off by one of the updates (I think). With Autorudder on, I am able to steer on the ground using the yoke axis (the steering wheel). This seems logical to me, as I don't have pedals.

I don't know if I should double-assign the rudder or anything else to the yoke axis that also has the ailerons assigned. Is that the right thing to do?

Now, with Autorudder on, it is possible to steer with the yoke but sometimes the turning radius of the plane is so large that it is hard to make some corners or curves.

I have all brakes assigned to one yoke button. I know separate left and right brake assignments could help with steering, but I haven't done that yet.

Thanks. Well, I found that the Autorudder setting was somehow turned off by one of the updates (I think). With Autorudder on, I am able to steer on the ground using the yoke axis (the steering wheel). This seems logical to me, as I don't have pedals.

I don't know if I should double-assign the rudder or anything else to the yoke axis that also has the ailerons assigned. Is that the right thing to do?

Now, with Autorudder on, it is possible to steer with the yoke but sometimes the turning radius of the plane is so large that it is hard to make some corners or curves.

I have all brakes assigned to one yoke button. I know separate left and right brake assignments could help with steering, but I haven't done that yet.

Glad you figured it out. If you’re going to use Auto Rudder then I don’t think you gain anything by also assigning the rudder to the yoke axis for ailerons.

If you have buttons available for separate brakes then that will help with turning radius. There might already be a keyboard default for this rather than tying up buttons on the yoke.