entry level specs

Hi All,

My computer died from a power surge during hurricane Ida and due to property damage I am looking to buy only a budget gaming box, at least finally with specs to run FS 2020. I used to run Flightsim X but my computer was long on the tooth, about 11 years old. I've never run the new FS 2020.

I've read some complaints about minimum specs not being sufficient. What kind of performance and experience can I expect with these following options?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1630996-REG/msi_codex_r_10si_026us_i5f_1660_ti_16gb_512gb_ssd_1tbhdd_w10ha.html

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098NRZXK5?tag=georiot-us-default-20&th=1&ascsubtag=tomshardware-us-7866314585683821000-20&geniuslink=true

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-legion-tower-5-amd-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-super-256gb-ssd-1tb-hdd-phantom-black/6424472.p?skuId=6424472

Any performance boost with AMD Ryzen over Intel, or vice versa?

Thanks!

I would not recommend any of these units to run MSFS. In reverse order, the bottom unit (Lenovo) has sufficient CPU and GPU to run 1080p, but the SSD is too small and the big HDD won't work well with MSFS. The middle system (Dell) has a marginal CPU but the GPU is way below the specs needed to run MSFS. The top system (MSI) has a slow CPU (They really don't give enough info??), a good GPU, but only a 512 GB SSD and a big HDD. You could just get by with the 512 GB SSD but if the updates get larger, you won't have much room for the expansion. In addition, it seems to use some nonstandard components which may be cutting corners?? Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

If you dont need a PC for anything else and have a limited budget you could go down the Xbox route.

The only limitation as I see it is the restrictions on only using addons that you can get via the inbuilt marketplace.

It may keep you going until more funds become available?

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Why buy a pre-built computer other than a laptop, ever? There are lots of sources out there such as Newegg who will sell you all the parts you want, one part at a time. Pick and choose what you need rather than settle for what's in the corporate built box.

If you are scared to put the parts into a case yourself, I strongly urge you to ask around in your area. There are almost surely more than one or two people, often "HAMS", or other electronic hobbyists that would love to put your system together for a fee. Or if they're into it enough, for free.

I've built several desktop computers for others for whatever special use they have in mind, at no charge. A lot of people do enjoy doing exactly that. And part of the fun for the "builder' is helping a novice decide what they need for their specific application.

By getting a custom built unit you won't waste a ton of money buying equipment you don't need and will have readily replaceable parts available when, not if, something fails.

Apple, ACER, DELL, etc. use a lot of in house designed parts that you can't buy anywhere retail. So once you buy their product, you're on their leash. In case of computer failure or if you need to upgrade you must send the whole box back to them for any repairs needed, often with long wait times!! Or you might need to buy another computer because their system won't upgrade to what you need!! Do you really want to pay your money to be their dog??

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Actually, I don't think it is as cheap right now to build from parts. In order to run MSFS, you need substantial GPU processing power, even at 1080p. On Newegg, a RX 5500xt is about $800, a GTX 1660ti about $900, and even an outdated GTX 1070 is almost $600. Companies that have bulk access to GPUs can at the moment, sell the whole thing cheaper than you could buy the parts.

The reason I like AVA Direct, is they custom build from a VAST selection of options, which are all standard parts that allow upgrade ability.

The reason I like AVA Direct, is they custom build from a VAST selection of options, which are all standard parts that allow upgrade ability.

Yep, there are options that use standard parts unlike the big names such as Dell, and right now are often cheaper than going your own way. Some also have experience working with flight sims as well.

Someone who has little or no experience with PC innards probably should not attempt a build themselves w/o a person more knowledgeable to oversee it. The individual hardware components are certainly not inexpensive. There is always the hazard of static electricity, mis-wiring of one or more components, etc...

As UPHILL3 suggests:

Someone who has little or no experience with PC innards probably should not attempt a build themselves w/o a person more knowledgeable to oversee it. The individual hardware components are certainly not inexpensive. There is always the hazard of static electricity, mis-wiring of one or more components, etc...

Your PC gaming performance will also depend on cooling and your choice of Power Supplies.

Tomshardware.com offers a few recommendations in the PSU area.

HTH,

RonM

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

RAM: Team T-Force 32GB CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 super C Drive: M.2 SSD 1.0tb CPU Air Cooler: DEEPCOOL GAMMAX GTE V2, PSU: Bronze 600W, Flight Stick: Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS, W10

And on top of that there are details that need to be paid attention to like going over the motherboard's QVL for memory compatibility (Qualified Vendor List). It lists all the memory makes and models that were tested by the motherboard maker and gave no errors. It is more important to follow that for AMD chipsets than Intel chipsets as AMD is less forgiving on memory compatibility than Intel (several of the major memory makers like G.SKILL and Corsair even make AMD-specific tuned variants).

I've been building for over 20 years for simming & gaming and not one build worked 100% after completion and required troubleshooting to resolve. Including my most recent one in my sig just finished for MSFS a month and a half ago. Things can be so simple but so frustrating to troubleshoot like the Power LED button cable from the case to the motherboard connector being plugged in reverse polarity. Or discovering you had a defective PCIe power adapter to your video card and grabbed another from the extra cables your modular PSU came with and suddenly your video card works. Or realizing you actually got a bad memory module after triple checking all connections and troubleshooting every other failure option. All of the above I have experienced and that's just off the top of my head after about 15 from-scratch builds.

No, buying components and slapping a computer together is not recommended for the first timer without some sort of guidance either in person or virtually like in videos and on PC hardware forums like Toms Hardware (the most active help out there for forum help of which I'm a long time member of).

i7 11700K @ 5.0GHz, ASUS Z590-Plus TUF Gaming, Noctua NH-D15, 2x16GB G.SKILL TridentZ 4000, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, Super Flower 850W, SilverStone Redline SST-RL06 PRO case, Samsung 980 2TB M.2 (OS/MSFS), Gigabyte Aorus 48" OLED 4K 120Hz + LG 32" UN32650-W 4K monitors, Logitech Yoke + throttle + CH Pro Pedals

When I upgraded my system last year… I picked out a motherboard..cpu..psu..and case (& a cooling system) from CCL Computers. They assembled those parts.. then I simply put in the other stuff, which I already owned or bought separately.. RAM..GPU…M2 drives… Wi-Fi card..

Better than buying an off the shelf pc, but without the difficulties of assembling everything.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles