Hope this works out

You guys were right, that 560 was marginal even at minimum settings @ 2560X1440. I could get acceptable when I rolled back to 1080 but you know, that wasn't good enough. I went snooping around and found this:

MSI - AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT GAMING X 8G GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Gaming Graphics Card

I paid more than its worth for sure but as it turned out I applied and its going to cost me $36 a month with 0 interest. Soooo, anyone have or had any experience with this card? if I can get medium/ultra custom on it I'll be so happy I'll need a twin! This PWS is 365 watts so I'm going to give it a try. Maybe it'll get me by for a bit. if not I do have a 500 laying around here somewhere I do believe. If not, I'm pretty sure I can get one for very little but most likely no cost.

Ok guys... lemme have it!

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

Hi Donnie,

they recommend a 500w psu for the RX 6600xt, and I’d always go higher than the recommended.. and one of reasonable quality. You don’t want a cheap psu.

My new RTX3090 is coming tomorrow. I think the recommended psu was 850w.. but when I did the big upgrade in 2020 I bought a 1000w psu to future proof it..in case I one day manage to get a 3090 :)

It’s always better to go higher than the recommended

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Yeah, I went through the specs and saw that, why I mentioned I can get one if I dont have it in the garage. Once upon a time I had more parts than I knew what to do with! I used some to teach a few kids how to build one and gave them what they built. I'm hoping this 365 will support it. Stranger things have been known to happen. If not, I'll break out the old rotary file set and cordless and make a mod. Then all I'll need is that adapter.

What kind of performance do you think I can get out of that? Its 8 Gb and released in july of this year, I'm figuring (hoping) its got the HP to do what I want. At least satisfy my training in better than average and not MARGINAL like that Radeon software shines in RED😆 just to rub it in!

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

Donnie.. another thought.. does your Dell pc have a PCI-e 4 slot?

The new card should fit a PCI-e 3 slot but it won’t run at full speed.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Gen 3.... excuse me while I go cuss a bit! SMDH

Capture1.JPG

Thats what I went by

As to thee performance of he RX 6600XT, it should exceed the scores for the RX 5700 by about 5-10%, and be very competitive with the RTX 2060S. You can look at the test chart I posted in the other link, to see how that relates to fps at 1440p (I would expect 55/46 or better on the chart).

I do think the stock PSU is going to be a very bad choice. Cheap PSUs typically have even less power at the +12V rail. They also tend to be a little more "dirty" in the smoothness of the power delivered. I would recommend this as the lower end of appropriate PSUs:

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG650 Gold

I bought an Antec 850W Gold back in about 2009-2010, and my grandson is still running it.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I agree with Bob (Plainsman) you really need a good psu and one that is at least the recommended minimum of 500w

I don’t know much about the card myself but in your post, you listed it as PCI Express 4

If your pc has PCI express 3 then it should still work but not at full speed.

Something else I’ve noticed from your last post.. it requires Windows 11? I can’t remember..did you say you’ve installed that?

Edit: despite what it says above.. it looks like there are Windows 10 drivers available for it.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

As to thee performance of he RX 6600XT, it should exceed the scores for the RX 5700 by about 5-10%, and be very competitive with the RTX 2060S. You can look at the test chart I posted in the other link, to see how that relates to fps at 1440p (I would expect 55/46 or better on the chart).

I do think the stock PSU is going to be a very bad choice. Cheap PSUs typically have even less power at the +12V rail. They also tend to be a little more "dirty" in the smoothness of the power delivered. I would recommend this as the lower end of appropriate PSUs:

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG650 Gold

I bought an Antec 850W Gold back in about 2009-2010, and my grandson is still running it.

+1 on the comment about the 12v rail voltage sags!! Remember as the voltage sags, the amps drawn for any given device increases! (VxA=W) More amperage drawn equals more heat! More heat is hard on every device in your computer! :eek:

Also remember to not overload your 12v by adding too many USB devices. Just because you have an open USB port doesn't mean you have enough power to service it!!

If like me, you use a lot of external devices like a yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, etc. I strongly encourage you to invest in POWERED USB PORTS!! They plug into 110 and power your usb devices without drawing down the voltage on your computer. :cool:

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I don’t know much about the card myself but in your post, you listed it as PCI Express 4

If your pc has PCI express 3 then it should still work but not at full speed.

While one of the main differences between PCIe generations is about how much bandwidth each one has, it doesn't necessarily mean performance is going to take a big hit, if it takes a hit at all. Games often don't push GPU bandwidth as much as one might think. On the other hand, a PCIe gen 4 SSD would probably benefit more.

Edited to add one example of the performance differences between PCIe generations.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/pcie-4-vs-pcie-3/

Edited by loki

+1 on the comment about the 12v rail voltage sags!! Remember as the voltage sags, the amps drawn for any given device increases! (VxA=W) More amperage drawn equals more heat! More heat is hard on every device in your computer! :eek:

Also remember to not overload your 12v by adding too many USB devices. Just because you have an open USB port doesn't mean you have enough power to service it!!

If like me, you use a lot of external devices like a yoke, throttle, rudder pedals, etc. I strongly encourage you to invest in POWERED USB PORTS!! They plug into 110 and power your usb devices without drawing down the voltage on your computer. :cool:

Michael

1+ on the USB Hub, I have one on the way. You, Plainsman and Steve have been very helpful on this. I just noticed after you guys called it out its on the listing. I guess I was just to excited to have found one that frickin available to notice. Plus, it was in the early AM. No excuses! hahahaha

The power supply issue is a no brainer The one in the garage is 450W but a buddy has a few and I'm sure he'll have one. If not, more dinero out the door. I have about made up my mind to just peacing this thing together and maybe buy an Alienware next march that will handle anything I throw at it... but as we all know, it'll be obsolete 2 months later...

The power supply issue is a no brainer The one in the garage is 450W but a buddy has a few and I'm sure he'll have one. If not, more dinero out the door. I have about made up my mind to just peacing this thing together and maybe buy an Alienware next march that will handle anything I throw at it... but as we all know, it'll be obsolete 2 months later...

Make sure whatever PSU you use is a good model. There have been issues with Gigabyte PSUs catching fire that were essentially being dumped in hardware bundles, for example.

And regarding Alienware, make sure to do some research on reliable PCs too. There are better options out there, including local shops or companies like Jetline Systems that specialize in flight sim PCs.

Make sure whatever PSU you use is a good model. There have been issues with Gigabyte PSUs catching fire that were essentially being dumped in hardware bundles, for example.

And regarding Alienware, make sure to do some research on reliable PCs too. There are better options out there, including local shops or companies like Jetline Systems that specialize in flight sim PCs.

Or build it yourself from retail parts!! ;) It sounds like your buddy is already doing that and probably would help!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Or build it yourself from retail parts!! ;) It sounds like your buddy is already doing that and probably would help!!

Michael

That is an option, but the worldwide supply issues right now mean it isn't cheap, if you can even get the parts you want.

Michael

Not cost effective at the moment. Kinda looks like what I'm going through at this very moment though doesn't it? When the ATX adapter comes in stock I'll add the PSU and all should be well for the moment. I figure 6 months or so down the road around the Bday something will happen. I can punch numbers in the calculator and take a really good look at it. By then it may not cost much at all since I'm accumulating quite a number of the parts already.

That is an option, but the worldwide supply issues right now mean it isn't cheap, if you can even get the parts you want.

I checked out that video on those PSU's.. 50% failure rate! That sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen!