Windows 11

Skywatcher12

• 2 weeks later...
It's very early but from what I am finding Win 11 should run old games same as Win 10.

Haven't updated myself but checking around the net there don't appear to be any real problems.

Mark,

I've updated to 11 and have no issues. Lets Go Pens!!!

Mark,

I've updated to 11 and have no issues. Lets Go Pens!!!

Haha, Go Pens!

Win 11 appears to be working great at this stage. Still early but there are even reports in some games of things working again in Win 11 that broke in Win 10.

It’s looking like Win 11 should work very well for FS9. Nothing worse than Win 10 anyhow.

Mark Daniels

I have a PC and 2 laptops, none of them meet the required specs for me to install W11, I have W10 on them all but the CPU's are not right, I don't have TPM2. I looked in the BIOS to enable it but couldn't see it on my PC, didn't bother with the laptops.

Also I had to download the Health Check for it to tell me, why can't it scan you online rather than download an app?

I have a PC and 2 laptops, none of them meet the required specs for me to install W11, I have W10 on them all but the CPU's are not right, I don't have TPM2. I looked in the BIOS to enable it but couldn't see it on my PC, didn't bother with the laptops.

Also I had to download the Health Check for it to tell me, why can't it scan you online rather than download an app?

Haha! Microsoft at it's best!

The app told me the CPU in my HP Workstation wasn't suitable for W11 (or words to that effect).

My old laptop, running W10, wouldn't even run the app, saying the CPU in that machine wasn't compatible with the app, never mind W11!

It would seem that Microsoft are doing their very best to increase the amount of electronic landfill by inferring that computers more than a few years old are no good!

Interesting thread this. Glad to hear some blokes' environments are fine, W11 etc. (inc. W10), whilst others have grief. Me, am still a dinosaur playing with my currently broken PCs. Got a HPCompaq, a HP xw6400 Workstation, both ex-work (Compaq was my first work PC, Workstation my second) and in good nick (other than faults now), both WinXP with FS2002 on both. Got a Lenovo PC and a Dell Latitude E6500 both with Linux Ubuntu. Thought I'd have another go at getting my FS2002 back up and running. Thinks... how hard can it be! (naive fool), take one of the C: hard drives from a HP, plug it into the Lenovo (disconnect its Ubuntu drive) to test a startup using the Lenovo's motherboard. Nah, on both WinXP C: drives I got the Windows Activation code thingy. I do have the Product ID's for both, having bought the PCs legally with WinXP installed on them legally, and somewhere in the house a set of installation CDs. Darn! This weekend did numerous Dr Google searches for what to do, numerous items found including YouTube video, some posts say the various 'fix's fixed their prob, others say it didn't! Too bad, so sad! Gave up with a glass of red wine (or 3). Methinks better to pursue my goal of ditching MS from my house altogether and get everything running in Linux, if I can. Then I can install and run the software I own (I know, I only own a licence to run it) on any hardware I wish. Option, yes I know you'll say, chuck it all in the bin and buy new gear. But ..., this thread shows there are hassles with newer stuff! Don't wanta do that (am becoming a stingy, crotchety old bugger). I know this isn't the thread for my observation, and searched in flightsim.com re 'Windows Activation' workaround, thinking to ask for ideas in a new thread in the appropriate forum. All too hard! Good luck fellas! Edited by MAD1

There are secondhand PC's and laptops on eBay not too badly priced that will run FS, also you could by a pre-installed hard drive with Windows7 or 10 on as well if you wanted, again not too badly priced.

I recently bought a laptop hard drive with Windows10 pre-installed and it works fine.

Not saying do it but worth thinking about.

Col.

I keep reading and watching things about W11, some say don't bother others say install it. To be honest I would rather whatever they have done in W11 instead of making a new version just do an update to W10.

I can imagine in a few years we will have Windows12, I wonder if they will skip 13 and call it something else lol?

Col.

I keep reading and watching things about W11, some say don't bother others say install it. To be honest I would rather whatever they have done in W11 instead of making a new version just do an update to W10.

I can imagine in a few years we will have Windows12, I wonder if they will skip 13 and call it something else lol?

Col.

There will always be new. I kept telling people Win 10 won't be the last as soon as MS made that claim. Everything is about $$$ and nothing sells like something new so Win 10 was never going to stay forever.

Best to hold off on Win 11. It's going to have a couple of major updates, things could break, best to wait till the operating system is a little more settled.

Mark Daniels

Thanks heaps Col, just watched the video, very good. We also have a laptop with Win10 Home and it's so slow. Suppose I better 'gird my loins' and step up and try some stuff, also to persevere with my WinXP on my old hardware. Just get tired thinking about it! (It really is alarming and annoying, like how 'CyberCPU Tech' in the video mentions about the constant telemetry traffic back to MS. I just wish a company would sell us their product and then leave us alone, but those days are gone forever. Am dubious re the benefits of frequent updates, security fixes etc. outweighing the negatives.) Edited by MAD1

Re Updates: Yes seen many posts where everything was running OK till the last update.

If you are fortunate enough to have 2 PC's/laptops and have one just for FS then if you get the sim/s running just how you like them then that is great, any downloads use your other PC then copy the file/s over, but some programs require you to be connected in that case turn off updates.

You may have noticed that CyberCPU tech says he never uses a bought anti-virus he just uses Windows Defender, well I do the same, some AV's can caught problems as well. Some will agree some won't but what is on my PC is my business not theirs lol.

Col.

• 2 weeks later...
just updated to Win 11, no issues, FS9 started right up, also aismooth, aiseparation, and FSRealWX all working with no issues. that's all I've tried so far.

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

just updated to Win 11, no issues, FS9 started right up, also aismooth, aiseparation, and FSRealWX all working with no issues. that's all I've tried so far.

Did you get the update through Windows update, or some other method. Like to update but it hasn't been available to me yet through Windows update. I could download from Windows site, it says there it is better to wait for it to appear in my updates.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Did you get the update through Windows update, or some other method. Like to update but it hasn't been available to me yet through Windows update. I could download from Windows site, it says there it is better to wait for it to appear in my updates.

I downloaded from the Microsoft site.. No issues at all.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks, I think i'll give it a go.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

i got it thru windows update

- bernie

p.s. no need to call me Capt folks, Capt Flappers is just a name my wife teases me with because of my flight sim obsession. :o

Thanks, Bernie.

FWIW, with windows 11 my boot up time from system off to log in screen is about 12 seconds. never timed my windows 10 but it was definitely longer that 12 seconds, probably close to a minute

- bernie