Start-up times

defaid

Because Mark said, "Might be worth for fun to have a thread where we all time our FS9 start up time."

Four scenarios: First and second launches after reboot, both with and without Defender's real-time protection.

No other apps launched.

Maximised windowed mode, 2560 × 1440

Unlimited fps. Usually limited to 60, matching the monitor, otherwise the graphics card is the limit. At 100% it has a rather noisy fan.

306 scenery layers, all active but it would take a while for me to work out which are actually loaded for the default flight, which is a cloudy and breezy summer morning at EGCW.

Of interest to me was absolute best & worst famerate. The worst is about 32 fps in any complex aircraft at UK2000's EGLL with weather and 450 AI. The best is mid-Atlantic CAVOK in the stock C172, where I achieve about D27 FPS. I suppose FS9 ran out of digits and it's actually 2027 fps.

Spec:

Core I5-7400 at 3.4 GHz

Gigabyte Z170-HD3P

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD

SanDisk 1 TB SSD

Asus GTX 1060 6 GB

4 × 8 GB Corsair DDR4

Win10 Pro 64 bit

No power saving...

Times:

From PC reboot, with Defender RTP on:

Launch to main menu 30 sec

Load default flight 121 sec more

(total time 151 sec)

FPS 75

Second launch with RTP on:

Launch to main menu 13 sec

Load default flight 18 sec more

(total 41 sec)

FPS 73

From reboot with Defender RTP disabled:

Launch to main menu 14 sec

Load default flight 31 sec more

(total 45 sec)

FPS 74

Second launch with Defender RTP disabled:

Launch to main menu 12 sec

Load default flight 17 sec more

(total 29 sec)

FPS 72

Because Mark said, "Might be worth for fun to have a thread where we all time our FS9 start up time."

Four scenarios: First and second launches after reboot, both with and without Defender's real-time protection.

No other apps launched.

Maximised windowed mode, 2560 × 1440

Unlimited fps. Usually limited to 60, matching the monitor, otherwise the graphics card is the limit. At 100% it has a rather noisy fan.

306 scenery layers, all active but it would take a while for me to work out which are actually loaded for the default flight, which is a cloudy and breezy summer morning at EGCW.

Of interest to me was absolute best & worst famerate. The worst is about 32 fps in any complex aircraft at UK2000's EGLL with weather and 450 AI. The best is mid-Atlantic CAVOK in the stock C172, where I achieve about D27 FPS. I suppose FS9 ran out of digits and it's actually 2027 fps.

Impressive times … I see you're loading to UK2000's EGLL (which version?), do you have the UKVFR photo scenery as well, with or without autogen, or just the default scenery?

Impressive times … I see you're loading to UK2000's EGLL (which version?), do you have the UKVFR photo scenery as well, with or without autogen, or just the default scenery?

The UK2000 download was called UK2000HeathrowXtreme_Package_3.20.exe so I suppose v3.20

I have Playsims VFR photoscenery covering the whole of the UK, including the missing part of Scotland (very kindly given to me in an unfinished state for a donation to a charity of my choice). I've been cleaning it up desultorily for about ten years...

OK, 28.8 fps but it does wobble a bit. That's my C-130 bottom right, parked wherever I say it's going to be parked, and evidence of eclectic AI just beyond the pier in the middle distance.

Is there autogen around EGLL? Yes, I think a little, but really just notable London buildings and a few copses & hedges I've added for myself. Long ago I inferred from some threads on the VisualFlight forum that there was a complete set of trees & hedges for the UK but I never followed it up. Making that lot must have been a gruelling task.

egll.jpg

First start - 40 seconds.

Second start - 13 seconds.

Sweet times... D'you remember having to turn sliders down just to get FS9 to run properly? Though mine struggled with launching P3d, I think today's PCs are a bit overkill for FS9 -- the absence of a fourth digit for the framerate really amuses me.

When my WiFi is off, my Load time to the Select a Flight screen is about 30 seconds.

Turning the WiFi on increases the Load time to 1 minute and 5 seconds.

Note... I don't use a third party Wx program; I just fly using the 'Fair Weather' scenario most of the time.

Alan :pilot:

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

The UK2000 download was called UK2000HeathrowXtreme_Package_3.20.exe so I suppose v3.20

Is there autogen around EGLL? Yes, I think a little, but really just notable London buildings and a few copses & hedges I've added for myself. Long ago I inferred from some threads on the VisualFlight forum that there was a complete set of trees & hedges for the UK but I never followed it up. Making that lot must have been a gruelling task.

I don't think there was ever a "complete set of trees & hedges", although the concept was attempted as a freeware project by a bunch of us enthusiasts, but with over 140,000 1km square photo-tiles to "plant trees" in, it was never likely to complete and ran out of steam at about 1/3 completion. There was "political friction", as I understand it, that I wasn't party to, FSX came along, the database that held a lot of the autogen and other sceneries disappeared ... and that was about it :(

My UK2000 EGLL is an earlier version … "Under Construction" ;) but you can see the autogen trees disappearing into the distance

EGLL.jpg

My FS9 is over 100gig

572 scenery entries (everything enabled)

All WOAI installed (also running GA AI but likely won't affect any results)

Aircraft are default only for test (these would kill startup times)

System:

Win 10

CPU i7-8700K (Not overclocked)

Ram 32gig

GPU GTX 1660Ti

HDD Samsung EVO 1tb x2 (Win 10 on one, FS9 on the other)

First start:

17 seconds

Second start:

13 seconds

Mark Daniels